Menu

Summer Reading Program--My very own!

ABQmom

For all of you wondering how to motivate your kids to read in the summer, you might be interested in my blog post about how I've successfully motivated my own kids this summer. I invented our own summer reading program and it's working above and beyond my expectations. Maybe someone can glean something useful from it anyway. :)

See my post here.

Great idea! :D

We're doing something similar. He reads to me everyday without complaint and 30 minutes on his own. Every two weeks (paydays) he gets a small prize. August 7th he'll get a 5 day video rental and book of his choice. Since I don't rent/buy games, this is a really big deal for him. And since he can buy any book (within reason) he can pick one at his level that he'll enjoy instead of the few the library offers.

Very cool! Btw it looks like you accidently reversed "Jacob I Have Loved" to "Jacob Have I Loved".

Thanks! I'll fix that.

Actually, I just checked Amazon and it is "Have I". Looks like there is another book that reads "I Have". The book my dd is reading is the one by Katherine Patterson. :)

Edited by ABQmom
Checked info

For all of you wondering how to motivate your kids to read in the summer, you might be interested in my blog post about how I've successfully motivated my own kids this summer. I invented our own summer reading program and it's working above and beyond my expectations. Maybe someone can glean something useful from it anyway. :)

Thanks so much for this idea! It's taken off here :) Dc flew through our local library's summer reading challenge and this is just the thing for us to keep the reading going. The fact that there is a defined number of books with specific prizes per book is very well thought out :D

every 3 days. Books like Hatchet, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Dr. Doolittle etc. How did I get them to read this much?

I told them even though it is summer we will have no screen time during the week days and nights. So they are forced to read in the evenings and I also send them earlier as a result of no screen time. Everyone gets to go to bed early including hubbie and me.

I got my book ideas mainly from Sonlight, Ambleside and WWE.

It has been hard for my kids to not have a summer as we are schooling year round to prepare for the birth of the baby/ies but hopefully they would get use to it. They get to play more during the day than kids who go to school it seems. Lots of breaks during the day.

every 3 days. Books like Hatchet, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Dr. Doolittle etc. How did I get them to read this much?

I told them even though it is summer we will have no screen time during the week days and nights. So they are forced to read in the evenings and I also send them earlier as a result of no screen time. Everyone gets to go to bed early including hubbie and me.

I got my book ideas mainly from Sonlight, Ambleside and WWE.

It has been hard for my kids to not have a summer as we are schooling year round to prepare for the birth of the baby/ies but hopefully they would get use to it. They get to play more during the day than kids who go to school it seems. Lots of breaks during the day.

Funny you mention about the screen time because we also canned it for the summer. The kids have not only read more, but they've been more creative. Games and toys they haven't bothered with in long time have been making an appearance. We do allow it on the weekends, but that's because of dh. I'd get rid of all video games if it were up to me. :)