Menu

Just let 'em learn?

So, my son is in 4th this coming Sept. I am just wanting a place to drop him off and let me veg :) I'm sure some of you understand. I want Art, Science experiments, nature walks, activities like that... oh yes, and PE.

I've thought of dropping him at school :) My husband suggested that we do a year of "nothing" instead of school. This is my 1st year of not being in charge of a co-op, and I have pressures outside of my immediate family :(

So, I went to a Homeschool Conference yesterday that is pretty "unschool" friendly. The only thing that I can see would get behind is Latin. I have planned on him doing Latin this year. (Like starting any second ;))

In Math he's learned up through percents; he has ratios to learn and that's all.

I'm wondering... What would happen if I told him that he could do anything besides electronics during school time. Would he become interested in all things outdoorsy? Maybe read what's on the shelves? I have a TON of books... games... etc.

The man (speaking at the conference I attended) yesterday was saying that leaving games on the kitchen table was a great way to let them choose to learn. He gave some other suggestions, too. Talked about kids having choices and becoming interested in learning. (Really?? Could that happen??)

Who's done something like this?? Except for the language that I was wanting to learn with him, can you really see other subjects getting behind at 9 yrs old?

Gently :) give me some feedback pls, if you'd like!

:bigear:

Thanks!!

He could miss out on a little math and english, but stocking up on educational games like yahtzee, scrabble, boggle, and gently encouraging some activities like food maths or writing a story would ensure he is still learning and active in those subject areas.

As for the other subjects, make sure there's plenty of educational books and documentaries and games, give him resources to DO things, enable him to build a fort or bake some cookies. As a kid I had a book of fun science experiments that I used to do on my own, I especially liked the ones like making your own sherbert and soda, or making practical items like soaps. Perhaps he would like one of those kids electrical kits where you connect all the components. Maybe he'd be interested in cars or trains. Who knows?

I personally believe any unschooling needs a certain amount of direction and gentle prodding to 'useful' endeavours. But if he has that, then it sounds like exactly what your family needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a bit of testing at the beginning to see how serious you are about letting him do "nothing" but if you have board games and science kits and art supplies and a library card and a netflix queue full of documentaries, it sounds like a gamble worth taking. And if it doesn't work after a few months, you can go back to using a curriculum, and you'll still have gotten a break.

I know you said no electronics, but what about educational computer games? There are some great math games out there.

I think if I were to attempt something like this, I would still create a loose structure. Something like righting on index cards various choices. One would say read a book, another would say watch a documentary, another would say play a computer game, tell me a made up story, do a science experiment, etc. And when he is unmotivated to choose something on his own, then you tell him to draw a random card out of the box/hat/whatever. It's like the lottery :D. It might help keep things flowing once the newness wears off.

I know you said no electronics, but what about educational computer games? There are some great math games out there.

I think if I were to attempt something like this, I would still create a loose structure. Something like righting on index cards various choices. One would say read a book, another would say watch a documentary, another would say play a computer game, tell me a made up story, do a science experiment, etc. And when he is unmotivated to choose something on his own, then you tell him to draw a random card out of the box/hat/whatever. It's like the lottery :D. It might help keep things flowing once the newness wears off.

You rock. I should have a jar like this for my toddler, for all the hours when we seem to have run out of blocks and books to play with!

Do you suppose he might get bored? Or are you planning to have more of a hand in it? My kids unschooled for some time and they had plenty of games and books and art supplies, but after a while they wanted me. They needed some direction on what they should read/do. I guess it depends on the child because my 14 year old could spend all day studying Japanese and drawing. LOL

Sounds like things are really changing for you! I echo want an earlier poster said that it might not be the best idea to drop math. What about keeping Latin and math and then being "unschooly" for the rest of the day? I think it would work well if your child is proactive in learning. I can see where my children would like this for a season, but not an entire year.

Perhaps you both need a rest. Burnout? Elizabeth Foss' book Real Learning has some great advice on this. I love that book for helping me to refocus on real learning (aha!) (side note: author is Catholic, I am not, so I skip over those parts and glean from the rest).