Menu

Right Start Math Card Games Number Cards

tots2teens

Hi All,

I purchased the Math Card Games book at a book sale yesterday & was wondering if anyone knew of an easy/cheap way to get or make a set of the number cards. I see where I can buy a set from Right Start or Rainbow Resource for 30 bucks but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I could easily make myself.

I figure lots of people have made the cards themselves so I'm wondering if there is a template somewhere? No sense in spending hours making them if it has been done already, kwim?

Thanks so much in advance!!

The basic number deck has six of each number 0-10. The number is written in the upper left corner and upside-down in lower right (like on poker cards). All are the same color, font, size, etc. pretty basic. You could make them yourself, on heavy card stock. They are about 2" by 3" in size. I don't know of a template though.

Edited by Targhee

If you're just going to use the basic number cards, you could either buy a couple of decks of cards and take some of the face cards out and renumber others to become the 0's and 1's. The suits wouldn't matter. Or, you could make them. I'd probably buy small plain index cards and chop them in half with a paper cutter.

However, I will point out that the card set has others that are useful. We love Corners more than any of the other games and I've found the fraction cards really useful several times. I admit we haven't made huge use of the multiplication and clock cards but we have used them some. (We haven't used the money ones at all though, I admit - who needs cards with coins when you can just use real coins?) If I'd had to make all those, that would have been a pain. Plus, impossible in the case of Corners, where each card is unique.

You can get just the individual decks you want directly from RightStart for $6 per deck. I like the Green/Basic Deck, Blue/Multiplication Deck, and the Corners Deck versus making your own. The Green and Blue decks have a lot of cards (132 and 100) to print and cut on your own.

You could use a poker deck for the Green/Basic deck, and just toss out the face cards. However, you wouldn't have any zeros, and you would need multiple decks to get the same number of cards. It also can be a pain to remind young children that the Ace is really a one. Also, if you want to discourage counting, it's easier with the RightStart cards that don't have graphics to count.