Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

Opinions? Course descriptions for Saxon

I have been working on this today, and I think I got something that I'm pleased with. But I just want to know if this passes the opinion of the hive.

We've done Saxon Alg1, Alg2, and are currently in AdvMath. I want to list the geometry separately on the transcript (long story), so how does this look?

MATH:

Algebra 1 (1 credit)

Description: This course provides a comprehensive teaching of the fundamental aspects of problem solving. Major topics include evaluation of algebraic equations, thorough coverage of exponents, polynomials, solving and graphing linear equations, complex fractions, solving systems of equations, radicals, word problems, solving and graphing quadratic equations, solving systems of equations, and solving equations by factoring.

Materials: Algebra 1: An Incremental Development (3rd edition) by John Saxon; Digital Interactive Video Education (software) by Dr. David Shormann

Algebra II (1 credit)

Description: This course provides a comprehensive teaching of the fundamental aspects of problem solving. It offers a substantial review of all topics in Algebra 1 and then moves on to cover these topics at an advanced level. Major topics include the solving and graphing of linear and quadratic equations, factoring, a variety of types of word problems, solving quadratic equations by completing the square, solving simultaneous equations with fractions and decimals, complex roots of quadratic equations, solving systems of nonlinear equations, graphing and solving a system of inequalities, exponential equations, probability and statistics topics.

Materials: Algebra 2: An Incremental Development (3rd edition) by John Saxon; Digital Interactive Video Education (software) by Dr. David Shormann

Integrated Geometry I (0.5 credit)

Description:This course provides instruction in informal geometry by integrating the concepts of geometry within algebraic application. This course includes topics on properties of and work with plane and solid figures; inductive methods of reasoning and use of logic; concepts of congruence, similarity, parallelism, perpendicularity, and proportion; and rules of angle measurement in triangles.

Materials: Algebra 2: An Incremental Development (3rd edition) by John Saxon; Digital Interactive Video Education (software) by Dr. David Shormann

Integrated Geometry II (0.5 credit)

Description: This course provides instruction in formal geometry by integrating the concepts of geometry within algebraic application. This course includes properties of plane and solid figures; deductive methods of reasoning and use of logic; geometry as an axiomatic system including the study of postulates, theorems, and formal proofs; concepts of congruence, similarity, parallelism, perpendicularity, and proportion; and rules of angle measurement in triangles.

Materials: Advanced Mathematics: An Incremental Development (2nd edition) by John Saxon; Digital Interactive Video Education (software) by Dr. David Shormann

Pre-Calculus (1 credit)

Description: This course combines the study of trigonometry, elementary functions, analytic geometry, and math analysis topics as preparation for calculus. Topics include the study of complex numbers; polynomial, logarithmic, exponential, rational, right trigonometric, and circular functions, and their relations, inverses and graphs; trigonometric identities and equations; solutions of right and oblique triangles; vectors; the polar coordinate system; conic sections; Boolean algebra and symbolic logic; mathematical induction; matrix algebra; sequences and series; and limits and continuity.

Materials: Advanced Mathematics: An Incremental Development (2nd edition) by John Saxon; Digital Interactive Video Education (software) by Dr. David Shormann

In Integrated Geometry I, you might want to mention perimeter, area and volume instead of just properties. I'm sure it's assumed though and someone else more familiar with course descriptions would know that was included. Can you tell I haven't done mine yet? :tongue_smilie: