Menu

Do I need stitches?

I sliced the top of my pinky finger yesterday a.m.

It took a long time to get it to stop bleeding. And while not dripping any more it breaks open if bumped and continues to bleed. :glare:

It's not overly deep or gaping though. A bandaid does help but I have had to change it a few times.

Thoughts?

It is too late to have it stiched, without recutting clean edges. So I wouldn't botther. I'd get some butterfly type bandages to keep it closed, or some of those blister like bandaids that you can keep on for a long time, that act like a fake blister.

I did something similar a few years back.... I had gardening shears and nearly sliced off the "fingerprint" of my ring finger (I know, I know, but I THOUGHT my hand was out of the way and I was wearing gloves!!!).

The entire "fingerprint" area/pad was flopping, so I'm sure I needed stitches. I told dh I would go if I couldn't get the bleeding stopped in 15 minutes. It took about 20 minutes of holding my hand over my head and lots of pressure, but it did. Like you, it 'reopened' with the slightest bump or even a quick movement.

I used a regular bandage (butterfly wouldn't stay on), and I took a paper towel and wrapped my *entire* finger (scotch taped it closed). This helped remind me to be more careful with my whole hand. In fact, because it felt so bulky, I wound up holding my hand "up" a lot, which helped with the blood flow.

It worked. It took a while, but my finger healed nicely. So nice, in fact, I can't see where I sliced it. :001_smile:

All that to say, you will probably be fine (I didn't know there was a 'window' of opportunity for stitches, though it makes sense--- I'm glad to know that fact for future reference).

Now, the big question--- are you up to date on your tetanus shot? You didn't say what you cut yourself with, but obviously for me with the dirty gardening shears, I went and got the jab.

Ouch!

Wow I didn't think about my tetnus booster, glad to say that I am up to date. I just had a booster in January. :D I'm surprised i didn't think of that. Thanks!

I cut myself with a kitchen knife while butchering chickens. I am watching for infection.

I sliced the top of my pinky finger yesterday a.m.

It took a long time to get it to stop bleeding. And while not dripping any more it breaks open if bumped and continues to bleed. :glare:

It's not overly deep or gaping though. A bandaid does help but I have had to change it a few times.

Thoughts?

I cut the side/end of my pinkie off on Thanksgiving Day last year.

Get some antibacterial ointment and put it on the wound, then cover that with non-stick gauze and wrap the end of your finger with a bandaid like this:

http://www.ezfirstaid.com/product.aspx?item=043244

I put the gauze part of the bandaid over the wound, and used the "legs" to wrap around the end of my finger. It helped keep the bandaid on w/o having lots of pointy corners.

If you bump it a lot, buy or make something like this:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/plastic-finger-splint-large.html?lsku=CSM262027&gclid=CIOk3oy6-bACFTRe7AodqUkeQQ

I made a "guard" that was similar to that and it helped keep me from reopening the wound or bumping it.

My cut was rather deep so it took about three weeks for the new skin to completely cover the area. I kept it covered for a week or so even after the skin was healed, b/c it was really tender. To this day (8 months later!), the area is a bit numb and my finger is flat on the side where I cut it. ;)

Lisa

Where can one buy the glue if one isn't a medical person? Is it called band aid glue as you said, or the stuff used in ERs?

I have always gotten it at a local drugstore. I think it's called Band-Aid glue. It's in the band-aid section. The box contains several treated sticks, and you put a few drops from a bottle on the treated sticks, then use the soaked stick to glue the wound shut.

I don't know if it's the same thing one finds in the ER or not. It might be possible to order surgical glue through a medical supply company???

Ouch!

Wow I didn't think about my tetnus booster, glad to say that I am up to date. I just had a booster in January. :D I'm surprised i didn't think of that. Thanks!

I cut myself with a kitchen knife while butchering chickens. I am watching for infection.

Now that it is Monday, maybe it is time to make an appointment with the doctor to get a jump on some antibiotics.

Just a thought.