Menu

Science choices for 11th grader?

Here is what she's done so far: 8th grade Chemistry (at a ps), 9th grade Physical Science, 10th grade Biology. She is college-bound but b/c of finances it is likely she will attend a community college for 2 years. She will also likely not be pursuing a science-related field. She has always taken an interest in rocks and minerals. I have Apologia Physics (given to me by a friend) but after looking through it, I don't think it will be dd's "cup of tea". My eyes glazed over looking through it and I'm certain dd will have the same reaction. LOL. What options do we have? Can anyone recommend a Christian curriculum for her for next year? We have the option of doing an Environmental Science class through a co-op. Is there anything that might complement that to make it credit-worthy? Thanks for any suggestions!

There is DIVE or BJU. She could do Chemistry if Physics isn't her thing or Physics if it was just Apologia that wasn't her thing :).

DIVE has an 8th grade Earth Science class that is new. I don't know if it could easily be made high school credit worthy or not. You could ask Dr. Shoreman about it. He is very responsive to emails.

We have the option of doing an Environmental Science class through a co-op. Is there anything that might complement that to make it credit-worthy? Thanks for any suggestions!

Is this the co-op course you mentioned before? The one that's supposed to have a really great teacher who dislikes textbooks but will do cool, hands-on stuff with them for a couple of hours a week?

If so, my inclination might be to try and create a full-credit environmental science course around the co-op activities.

There's a 13-episode series on www.learner.org called The Habitable Planet, for example, that might be of interest.

Here's the Learner.org page: http://www.learner.org/resources/series209.html

And here's the course site, which has the whole text online as well as some virtual lab activities: http://www.learner.org/courses/envsci/index.html

Were it me, and I had a student interested in the subject and access to the co-op class, I'd probably have her work through the online course, go to co-op and read an additional book or three related to the subject and then just give a credit in Environmental Science.

I discovered this company (New Leaf Publishing) at HEAV this year and have a few courses "on hold" for dd who is Creation Science bound. On the HS level, they have an Evolution and Living Fossils set that includes DVDs. Also, a series of books called "...by Design" that includes Body, Flood, Geology, Universe, and Germs. All are Christian YE based.

www.masterbooks.net

Hope this helps!

Pamela F. in VA