Menu

Kaplan course - is it worth the $$$

Myra

"In case anyone else might be interested, the $299 prep course for SAT or ACT is $49.95. Offer expires 6/30/12."

I hyjacked this thread from the high schooling forum b/c since the deadline is approaching I'd like to know if anyone has done this course before, is it worth the $50, or would doing the tests/reviews ourself be just as good?

Any opinions?

Myra

We have never had any dealings with the course, but I can say their ACT prep book is one middle son absolutely disliked and had nothing good to say about it. He said their advice was always aiming toward mediocrity and "tricks" (like choose the shortest answer all the time and you'll get a 23 instead of an average or below average score). He preferred books that worked toward top scores and mainly by knowing the material involved.

YMMV I'm just relaying his two cents about books he's used.

my kids all had it. The nice part is that there are 4 full length tests, and someone will score their essay - you can't get that from a test book. There are also little videos explaining how to work each type of problem, so if your child is a visual learner, it might be a big help. As with any self study, you actually have to be committed to logging in and using the program - not sure all three of mine did that on a regular basis. Personally I think that $50 is very little to spend on test prep - you can spend a lot more for a real class (if that is your child's learning style, I would do that instead) given the thousands of dollars in merit aid they could get as a result of good scores. We personally used several prep books, Chalkdust math prep videos, the Kaplan, and a lot of my time to explain individual math problems, the SAT question of the day and anything else I could find. For my kids, the results were worth it.

Thanks mooooom this is encouraging since I did buy it and plan to use it in September. I did not know about the essay grading but that is bonus. We will also be using a variety of methods because this is my second time around and I realized we slept on the job the first time. All worked out for ds, but we learned that those SAT/ACT scores are important enough to spend time and money in prep work. I do not expect a months long prep program to remediate any subject; like ds, dd will work on learning the material within the curriculum and class time, but this time I plan to start early getting her comfortable with the test because that is important too.