Menu

Is there a history program to combine a 4th and 7th grader

1shortmomto4

that offers

All planned out for mom (I need to know when, teach what, each day...hold my hand kind of thing)

Visual - visual - visual for my VSL kiddo (4th grader - on the immature side)

Some easy projects are fine, light mapping, light worksheet work

(7th grader is dyslexic/dysgraphic). I prefer to do the reading rather than turning something over to them that would be totally independent.

I think I've got science figured out (CKE physics with the Engino kits per Timberdoodle) and NL for the younger

I wanted to do the Bible program where they draw the stick figures (the name has escaped me) but this is not a deal breaker if that were included.

Ancients or Middle Ages. I've read SOTW 1 already. I have MOH but can't figure out how I could make it more visually appealing to my youngest.

Ideas.......

Guest TWTMTL

I use the SOTW with both my kids 2nd & 3rd grades, same curriculum. To make it more visual for him, does he like to dress up or do projects? The Activity Guide that accompany's the book is great. It has lots of ideas for projects, extra books to read and a summary written out for you. I usually either dictate the summary for them to write, have them copy it straight out of the book or we come up with a summary together. It is broken down by chapter and has printables to go with the chapters and activities too.

I suggest my fathers world either creation to heels or time to reformation.. All laid out for you. Seventh reader does"advanced activities"and hhs own science program. It includes bugle history science, art. You do most reading. Dd your own la and math for each. Mfw suggest intermediate language lessons, writing strands for fourth grade and singapore nath.seventh grade I can't remember at the moment but the weekly grid had room to write in la and nath.

I haven't used it yet, but I will be using the same Sonlight core with my 4th & 7th graders this next year. My Father's World might be another good option for you. We used that this last year, and I have also used it with my older dd's when they were 6th/7th grade and it worked really well.

that offers

All planned out for mom (I need to know when, teach what, each day...hold my hand kind of thing)

Visual - visual - visual for my VSL kiddo (4th grader - on the immature side)

Some easy projects are fine, light mapping, light worksheet work

(7th grader is dyslexic/dysgraphic). I prefer to do the reading rather than turning something over to them that would be totally independent.

I think I've got science figured out (CKE physics with the Engino kits per Timberdoodle) and NL for the younger

I wanted to do the Bible program where they draw the stick figures (the name has escaped me) but this is not a deal breaker if that were included.

Ancients or Middle Ages. I've read SOTW 1 already. I have MOH but can't figure out how I could make it more visually appealing to my youngest.

Ideas.......

WinterPromise Quest for the Ancient World is exactly what you are describing. It is for 4th - 8th grades, uses MOH as the spine, and includes lots of light paper projects. There are notebooking pages as well. I have had a problem with WP being choppy but if you can tweak and/or handle the choppiness, it sounds like it would be just what you're after. WP is great for visual kids.

On the downside, WP is notorious for slow shipping. Some people have solved this problem by buying only WP exclusives from them and purchasing the books elsewhere. You already own MOH and perhaps some of the other resources as well, so doing this would make sense for you, I imagine.

ETA: Here is a sample and here is a page with more details. It's weird how they have their site, with .com being their pitch and .net being their sales.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

WinterPromise Quest for the Ancient World is exactly what you are describing. It is for 4th - 8th grades, uses MOH as the spine, and includes lots of light paper projects. There are notebooking pages as well. I have had a problem with WP being choppy but if you can tweak and/or handle the choppiness, it sounds like it would be just what you're after. WP is great for visual kids.

On the downside, WP is notorious for slow shipping. Some people have solved this problem by buying only WP exclusives from them and purchasing the books elsewhere. You already own MOH and perhaps some of the other resources as well, so doing this would make sense for you, I imagine.

ETA: Here is a sample and here is a page with more details. It's weird how they have their site, with .com being their pitch and .net being their sales.

:iagree: When reading your post the first thing I thought of was WP. I've been considering it for us next year too. Wanted to add, we've used 4 WP programs and loved them all and I did minimal tweaking :001_smile:

I just can't use WP - I don't like the same price/less books, some stuff only available on download, business practices - used them in the past but just can't go back.

Would love to use Sonlight but can't figure out what level I really could combine these two with and still stay sane?

Love the looks of Biblio but I thought the answers to the worksheets were found in SOTW and not MOH. SOTW was fine but oldest has already read that book and the youngest was okay with it but there is minimal visuals. Ugh!

I suppose MFW might be the way to go - I, for some crazy reason, was hoping there was something else out there that was scheduled out for the "unorganized" homeschooling mom.

Back to weighing the pros and cons.....

Love the looks of Biblio but I thought the answers to the worksheets were found in SOTW and not MOH. SOTW was fine but oldest has already read that book and the youngest was okay with it but there is minimal visuals. Ugh!

Back to weighing the pros and cons.....

You are right that the answers to the cool history pages for middles do have a few questions from SOTW as well as questions to look up in the companion and project ideas. What about just using SOTW as a reference and looking up the answers? It would be a good exercise for your older one to practice skimming text and finding things. I was thinking you could just read MOH along with Usborne and Journey. The cool history pages aren't necessary, IMHO.

What about Beautiful Feet?

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-Intermediate-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

Lots of good read alouds in the MA pack, many could be found used or from the library. Projects are pretty basic, but look interesting. Easy to skip anything you don't want to do. It says grades 5-8, but since you're doing the reading I think it would be fine for 4th.