Menu

Male pattern balding in teenagers

I'm concerned about my ds' male pattern balding. He started to lose his hair at 13yo and now that he's 15 yo it's very noticeable. He's also short (5'7''); he's the same height as me. Will this mean he's done growing? His older brother was 6' at 13yo. and shows no signs of balding. Male pattern balding does run in our families but this YOUNG??

I don't know what to think. It just seems strange - balding so young and short for our family.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. :confused:

there was a guy in my high school who was noticably balding. at our ten year reunion, he was bald.

I agree with those who suggested getting it checked out to make sure of the cause. hypothyroid can also cause hair loss.

Both my balder brother and my dad started significantly losing hair in college--it runs in the family through my dad's mom's side.

This sounds a little young though, so I would also suggest consulting with a doctor.

He was balding before that, but that's when I remember him openly acknowledging that his hair was badly thinning and wouldn't last much longer.

He continued to grow though. He was never really short compared to his peers, and I would say he grew at a normal rate until maybe 19 or 20. He is about six feet now.

So for him, the balding/thinning was just a genetic thing and not part of any other health issue, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

His bio mother had four brothers, all of whom are short, bald, and fat. I tell him he is lucky that he just got the bald part and is neither short nor fat!

My brother was balding as a teen ... and he actually started with a receded hairline to begin with. He was also only 5'6" - 5'7" for a long time ... I think he made it to 5'9" as a senior, and then gained 3 more inches his sophomore year of college. It can't hurt to get checked by an endocrinologist, but even if they don't find anything, there's still hope for his height. The hair is something my brothers have just learned to deal with (and not to be left out, my natural color turned to gray before I was 40 -- though I can color that, and will probably continue for a while).