Menu

Am I insane?

I just called my dh and suggested we live in our older used rv. Yep, he thinks I'm crazy.

I'm so very tired of houses. We sold this one and we are negotiating still for our next one. I'm tired of outrageous home prices, mortgage payments of over $2,000, taxes, maintenance, etc.

I used to love being a homeowner but now it just feels like a giant shackle around my neck. Renting doesn't seem to be much of an option. Anything in a good neighborhood is almost the same cost as buying.

Dh said he'd only consider it if we bought a bigger rv. Ours is really too tiny. But then that would negate any savings we netted from not buying.

We have no bills. Everything is paid off except the house.

We can't move because there is no job out there with the potential earning power, job security, or job flexibility out there for dh - even if he doesn't always like it.

Yep, I'm insane.

Yep, I'm insane.

I don't think you're insane, because that would mean I am too! Every time we move I dream about buying an RV, selling all our furniture, and living the simple life. If I already owned an RV, you better believe I would be thinking the way you are!

So, no. Not insane. :tongue_smilie:

Could you sell the RV and put it towards the mortgage?

We'd probably only get $10,000 for it now. We were going to sell it soon because we have 2 kids headed for braces. I'd almost rather live in it than pay so much for housing anymore. Ugh.

I don't think you're insane, because that would mean I am too! Every time we move I dream about buying an RV, selling all our furniture, and living the simple life. If I already owned an RV, you better believe I would be thinking the way you are!

So, no. Not insane. :tongue_smilie:

The rv is really too small for all of us. But people throughout this world live a lot tighter than that. Thanks for validating my sanity. Lots to think about.

The rv is really too small for all of us. But people throughout this world live a lot tighter than that. Thanks for validating my sanity. Lots to think about.

Well, I just read your other reply about selling it. My dd needs braces desperately, so I would strongly consider that option too if it were available to me. :o

I don't think you're TOTALLY insane! I've always been a minimalist as far as owning stuff...until I had kids. I couldn't stand to live in such close quarters though. I do like adventures though, and it sounds like it could be fun for a year or so. How much would a bigger RV cost? Where would you park it? Would you have to shop more often for food items? Who would be in charge of laundry and where would you do it?

I just called my dh and suggested we live in our older used rv. Yep, he thinks I'm crazy.

I'm so very tired of houses. We sold this one and we are negotiating still for our next one. I'm tired of outrageous home prices, mortgage payments of over $2,000, taxes, maintenance, etc.

I used to love being a homeowner but now it just feels like a giant shackle around my neck. Renting doesn't seem to be much of an option. Anything in a good neighborhood is almost the same cost as buying.

Dh said he'd only consider it if we bought a bigger rv. Ours is really too tiny. But then that would negate any savings we netted from not buying.

We can't move because there is no job out there with the potential earning power, job security, or job flexibility out there for dh - even if he doesn't always like it.

Yep, I'm insane.

No not crazy. I actually might consider giving it a try in between houses. It isn't like it would have to be a permanent situation.

We'd probably only get $10,000 for it now. We were going to sell it soon because we have 2 kids headed for braces. I'd almost rather live in it than pay so much for housing anymore. Ugh.

Here's that's one fifth of a mortgage on a really nice house. :) Do you mind if I ask where you live? Even on Long Island, my folks are only paying $1500/mo in nice neighborhoods.

I think I'd choose the living in the RV option, if I were in your situation. Simplicity is lovely.

Yep, I'm insane.

Nope, you're not insane, unless I am, too. :D I think it sounds grand, actually. My sister in law recently told me about a dinner party she attended and the fabulous home of the woman. I wasn't in the least envious. I thought to myself, I'd be jealous if the woman had a trailer plunked on some land, but a McMansion with taxes out the wazoo and a mortgage payment to match? I'd rather not. We can't move, either, because of DH's job security. I work, too, but I don't really want to. Which brings me to the issue of upkeep of this house. It's practically paid off but still costs a bundle due to taxes, heat bills, etc. If I didn't have dd's college to pay, I might feel differently. But right now, it's a shackle around my neck, too. The kids do like it here, though, so I am thinking we'll be here for a while longer. Sigh...

If I were you and had been lucky enough to sell one house, I probably would try to just pause a moment before taking on debt again. Can you dramatically downsize, for example? That's what I would like to ideally do, but selling now sure doesn't seem appealing!

Anita

Living here, I would go crazy in the winter living in a small space. Now if I lived somewhere warm and wonderful then a small RV and the fam would be just fine. Living here in the Midwest...I'd be that woman you heard about who ran out into the snow and was never heard from again. (jk)

I don't think your insane. My dh and I have been married homeowners for 25 years and I can't believe how much money we have spent on mortgage, insurance, taxes, repairs and decorating. I have to question our sanity for spending so much time, energy and money on homeownership.,

On the flip side our house has been our best investment. After 25 years of mortgage payments we own our home, which has doubled in value. When I look to the near future and see college tuition, weddings and retirement I am so thankful that our biggest budget line item - the mortgage - is gone.

So when you sit down to make your final decision, don't forget to plan for your retirement years because you don't want to have a rental payment or mortgage on a fixed income.

Good luck!

We have an Rv and lots of property to put in. My dh would like nothing more to live in it.

But after fires last yr. and having to live in it for over a wk. I was done. Mind you its 32 ft. and only four of us.

That would be a good test. How long can you last on a trip.

Jet

We have an Rv and lots of property to put in. My dh would like nothing more to live in it.

But after fires last yr. and having to live in it for over a wk. I was done. Mind you its 32 ft. and only four of us.

That would be a good test. How long can you last on a trip.

Jet

Yeah, the reality is that we would need a bigger one and then I don't think it would be worth it. I think if we lived in our 34?? footer you'd definitely read about me in the newspaper.:tongue_smilie:

Yeah, the reality is that we would need a bigger one and then I don't think it would be worth it. I think if we lived in our 34?? footer you'd definitely read about me in the newspaper.:tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

Jet

Here's that's one fifth of a mortgage on a really nice house. :) Do you mind if I ask where you live? Even on Long Island, my folks are only paying $1500/mo in nice neighborhoods.

I think I'd choose the living in the RV option, if I were in your situation. Simplicity is lovely.

Western WA, I cannot believe that a house costs $50,000 on Long Island. I wonder how much property taxes are there. Here the taxes aren't bad, between $200-$300 a month for an average priced home of $275,000-$350,000. But our cost of living is high.

No not crazy. I actually might consider giving it a try in between houses. It isn't like it would have to be a permanent situation.

That's what I thought, too. But we are getting a good deal on the house. I'm just having panic attacks and cold feet. But dh reminded me how much I like my nightly alone time and I just don't have the personality for that much together time.

That is so cool. Will your dh take some time off, too?

DH hopes to take off a couple of months after we sell the house, crossing our fingers on that one. He's in construction. Probably he will find a traveling type of job, he's fairly handy and there is a whole slew of people working and traveling.

Nope, you're not insane, unless I am, too. :D I think it sounds grand, actually. My sister in law recently told me about a dinner party she attended and the fabulous home of the woman. I wasn't in the least envious. I thought to myself, I'd be jealous if the woman had a trailer plunked on some land, but a McMansion with taxes out the wazoo and a mortgage payment to match? I'd rather not. We can't move, either, because of DH's job security. I work, too, but I don't really want to. Which brings me to the issue of upkeep of this house. It's practically paid off but still costs a bundle due to taxes, heat bills, etc. If I didn't have dd's college to pay, I might feel differently. But right now, it's a shackle around my neck, too. The kids do like it here, though, so I am thinking we'll be here for a while longer. Sigh...

If I were you and had been lucky enough to sell one house, I probably would try to just pause a moment before taking on debt again. Can you dramatically downsize, for example? That's what I would like to ideally do, but selling now sure doesn't seem appealing!

Anita

This actually is downsizing. The house is 2/3 the size of our current one and it's in town so no more driving long distance. I really realize that the hard part was finding a buyer. It's kind of nice to be a buyer in this market, too. I'm feeling better about it all now. Thanks.

Living here, I would go crazy in the winter living in a small space. Now if I lived somewhere warm and wonderful then a small RV and the fam would be just fine. Living here in the Midwest...I'd be that woman you heard about who ran out into the snow and was never heard from again. (jk)

It's doable in the summer when we have good weather but it rains 9 months out of the year. If I wasn't insane this morning when I posted I'd definitely be insane by October in an RV.:D

You want to live in a tiny RV with five other people? And I know these aren't little people, or not all of them, because wasn't one of yours looking for a job?

Insane.

Did you mention this idea to the children? What did they say?

LOL! No, I didn't mention it to the children. They would've had a fit. My oldest doesn't even sleep on the bed in the RV. He's over 6 ft tall. I clearly wasn't thinking realistically.

It's doable in the summer when we have good weather but it rains 9 months out of the year. If I wasn't insane this morning when I posted I'd definitely be insane by October in an RV.:D

You are cracking me up, where do you live Washington or England.

Jet

You're not insane now...but after a few months living in a crowded RV with a family of 5...no guarantees :D

At least if your children decide to become writers they'd have fodder for good material :001_smile:

Bill

Hmmm, I could get rich. My youngest boy just wrote a 30-page novel titled Death and Life. LOL Can you imagine what he'd write after a year with mom in a tiny RV? :confused:

If we didn't have such a large family, we would do this in a heartbeat. Buy some land and live there in our RV as we saved to build with cash.

But you all already knew I was insane :D

I actually see you as very sane. You seem so down to earth and unflappable.

Why not do it for a period of time? It's Summer so what better time to live simply for a while and revaluate your options and goals?

The reality is I get cranky after a week of camping all together. I'm just not laid back enough and neither is dh for more than just camping. But it did sound nice didn't it? Maybe when it's just us. :D

DH hopes to take off a couple of months after we sell the house, crossing our fingers on that one. He's in construction. Probably he will find a traveling type of job, he's fairly handy and there is a whole slew of people working and traveling.

My uncle traveled for a while supervising construction of tennis courts. He made really good money because most people do not want to travel. Your dh could make some serious dough.

I don't think you're TOTALLY insane! I've always been a minimalist as far as owning stuff...until I had kids. I couldn't stand to live in such close quarters though. I do like adventures though, and it sounds like it could be fun for a year or so. How much would a bigger RV cost? Where would you park it? Would you have to shop more often for food items? Who would be in charge of laundry and where would you do it?

Well, if we were to do it we'd do laundry at the laundromat at the park. We have a membership to a national RV resort company. Very safe, clean, with swimming pools. You can imagine why I lost my marbles this morning. We'd need to shop frequently and gas would add up. There's always something.:001_huh:

Check out this website and see other "crazy" people. www.familiesontheroad.com. My dh and I hope to become one of them, possibly within the next year. We can start a camp, camp Crazy, we'll all be there with you.

I'm hoping it's in So. Cali because if we can get an RV that is where we will be. I can't imagine doing it up here in Washington State. We are seriously pondering at this point.