Menu

I need ideas to keep 21 month old girl busy on long road trip.

We are going to be taking a long road trip next week.

I'm not worried about the boys. They are pretty good about riding in the car. They all could (and do) read for hours without getting car sick. Or they could listen to stuff on CD. Or talk (non-stop).

It's my 21 month old dd that I'm worried about. She isn't much for playing with toys. She is BIG on large-motor movement. :tongue_smilie: She doesn't sleep well in her car seat. She does like fine-motor challenges, though, such as threading beads or Cheerios on a wire. I'm just trying to think through exactly what to take and how that will work in the car. My 10 yo ds will be sitting beside her, and he is very good with her.

Any great ideas? I think she'll be snacking *a lot* just to keep her busy.

Our travel magnadoodle has been a hit with all 3 kids.

I've had them decorate cups and plates for our snacks at various stopping points. I have them decorate in advance and then use the cup or plate when we get out to have a snack. If she can peel stickers, that might take a while and use up some time.

A magnetic cookie sheet can be fun with various (safe) magnets to act out scenes, etc.

Our travel magnadoodle has been a hit with all 3 kids.

I've had them decorate cups and plates for our snacks at various stopping points. I have them decorate in advance and then use the cup or plate when we get out to have a snack. If she can peel stickers, that might take a while and use up some time.

A magnetic cookie sheet can be fun with various (safe) magnets to act out scenes, etc.

Great ideas. She likes to write (all over everthing in the house, sigh), so I bet she would like a magnadoodle.

I have to say, at almost that age.... I had always hated Sponge Bob, but during our trip it was almost on a loop.... Sponge Bob Square Pants.... over and over and over :) Pinterest has some lovely ideas for "preschool" type activities, too...

Have a great trip!! :)

:tongue_smilie: Sometimes you just do what you have to do. And I might get there some point on our trip. :lol: I think I'll use any shows as a last resort (though I may be at the point of last resort only a couple hours into the trip), only because I'd rather the boys do other things.

We just got done with a 4200 mile road trip with a 21 month old.

Things that kept him happy

- Magna doodle

- Stacking pegs - we had a bag of them and he would stack them up and try to hit things with it

- travel hungry hippos game

- Glow sticks at night

- a magnetic mosaic thing like this

- Snacks! Lots and lots of snacks!

Favorite books, music, a bag full of small noise makers with buttons to push, movies, favorite stuffed animal.

We also have a small ball we played with, but she is an only and the passenger in the front seat would pass it back and forth with her. With siblings it might get too out of control for riding in a car depending on the kids.

When we went to Europe, DD was 18 months. On the plane trips, her favourite toy was her set of finger puppets. I got a set of 10 or 12 little animals through Ebay for about $10 and they were worth their weight in gold :)

More recently, I discovered the Toddler Lock app (they have it for both iPhones an Android) It's free, keeps the rest of the phone safe and has lovely little sounds. Yes, ok, I'm shameless when it comes to finding things to keep the baby busy :D

we have made MANY long car trips with small kids and these are the things we used to do...

I would blow bubbles back at the kids...they love that

magnets on a cookie sheet or other magnetic activities

fruit loops on a pipe cleaner

color wonder markers and paper

DVD player (with home movies...the kids LOVE this)

I would read books to the kids

listen to music

we would also stop often and get out...I know that slows the trip down, some...but does a lot of good for kids who need to stretch.

hope that helps some.

Some little toys. When we moved from Georgia to Michigan dd had a color wonder set, her dvd player and lots of little toys (little ponies, strawberry shortcake, cars things like that) and lots of plain paper and crayons. She was 27 months old at the time.

We spend a lot of time on the road. We usually do three hours and then let the kids watch a show or two. It is harder for them to entertain themselves at dark and my older two get carsick when they read. They are great travelers though. When we did 60 hours driving in less than 10 days over Christmas, we tried to make it as easy as possible for the kids. We'd leave at 4:30 in the morning so they would sleep a couple of hours. We eat in the van. It helps pass the time. We would all get out when we filled up with gas to use the bathroom and tried not to make unnecessary stops. If it isn't hard for you to move the carseat, sometimes a change of scenery helps. At the very least, I'd move the kids around each stop so there would be someone new to interact with. I don't know what your trip would look like, but our longest stretch with Dd2 (when she was 23 months) was about 20 hours driving in one day. Each tank of gas (6 hours) roughly went something like - sibling reads books or plays games like peek-a-boo, we eat a light meal or substantial snack, baby plays with toys, baby gets a treat, baby gets a a DVD for an hour or two. This cycle is repeated until we reach our destination. I know some people hate DVDs but the baby only fussed about 5 minutes the entire trip.:tongue_smilie:

For the baby plays with toys bit, I think it is great to make getting the toy a challenge. Wrap the toy up or put things in a purse that she has to dig into to find. If I hand a toy to Dd she throws it on the floor after 30 seconds. But if she finds it herself, it is a prize. Things that might be fun that I haven't seen mentioned are a hand held mirror, a harmonica (loud, I know but so much more tolerable than crying), sunglasses, playsilks, a favorite stuffed animal or doll, and those balls you can pull to open - you know the ones that look like it has spikes but you unfold it and it makes a sphere? I'd play music the baby likes during this time.

For DVD's, I like sing along songs. For snacks, Twizzlers are a great idea. A Wendy's frosty got us over the hump when we'd been on the road for 16 hours. Mine loved a piece of gum every so often but that might not be a good suggestion in general. The big, fat suckers also take awhile to sucked on. Something random that Dd2 liked was a baby wipe. I'd tell her to wash her seat.

When we went to Europe, DD was 18 months. On the plane trips, her favourite toy was her set of finger puppets. I got a set of 10 or 12 little animals through Ebay for about $10 and they were worth their weight in gold :)

More recently, I discovered the Toddler Lock app (they have it for both iPhones an Android) It's free, keeps the rest of the phone safe and has lovely little sounds. Yes, ok, I'm shameless when it comes to finding things to keep the baby busy :D

The Toddler Lock app sounds perfect! Thank you!

we have made MANY long car trips with small kids and these are the things we used to do...

I would blow bubbles back at the kids...they love that

magnets on a cookie sheet or other magnetic activities

fruit loops on a pipe cleaner

color wonder markers and paper

DVD player (with home movies...the kids LOVE this)

I would read books to the kids

listen to music

we would also stop often and get out...I know that slows the trip down, some...but does a lot of good for kids who need to stretch.

hope that helps some.

I think fruit loops or cheerios and pipe cleaners would keep this girl busy for a long time. That is definitely going in the entertainment bag. :)

We spend a lot of time on the road. We usually do three hours and then let the kids watch a show or two. It is harder for them to entertain themselves at dark and my older two get carsick when they read. They are great travelers though. When we did 60 hours driving in less than 10 days over Christmas, we tried to make it as easy as possible for the kids. We'd leave at 4:30 in the morning so they would sleep a couple of hours. We eat in the van. It helps pass the time. We would all get out when we filled up with gas to use the bathroom and tried not to make unnecessary stops. If it isn't hard for you to move the carseat, sometimes a change of scenery helps. At the very least, I'd move the kids around each stop so there would be someone new to interact with. I don't know what your trip would look like, but our longest stretch with Dd2 (when she was 23 months) was about 20 hours driving in one day. Each tank of gas (6 hours) roughly went something like - sibling reads books or plays games like peek-a-boo, we eat a light meal or substantial snack, baby plays with toys, baby gets a treat, baby gets a a DVD for an hour or two. This cycle is repeated until we reach our destination. I know some people hate DVDs but the baby only fussed about 5 minutes the entire trip.:tongue_smilie:

For the baby plays with toys bit, I think it is great to make getting the toy a challenge. Wrap the toy up or put things in a purse that she has to dig into to find. If I hand a toy to Dd she throws it on the floor after 30 seconds. But if she finds it herself, it is a prize. Things that might be fun that I haven't seen mentioned are a hand held mirror, a harmonica (loud, I know but so much more tolerable than crying), sunglasses, playsilks, a favorite stuffed animal or doll, and those balls you can pull to open - you know the ones that look like it has spikes but you unfold it and it makes a sphere? I'd play music the baby likes during this time.

For DVD's, I like sing along songs. For snacks, Twizzlers are a great idea. A Wendy's frosty got us over the hump when we'd been on the road for 16 hours. Mine loved a piece of gum every so often but that might not be a good suggestion in general. The big, fat suckers also take awhile to sucked on. Something random that Dd2 liked was a baby wipe. I'd tell her to wash her seat.

Lots of great ideas here. Thank you! I love the idea of wrapping up toys so that she has to work to get to them. A mirror--perfect! And I think I'll have to get her some sunglasses. That might entertain her for a bit. LOVE the idea of having her wash the car seat with a baby wipe! She really likes popcorn, so I might have to get her a bag of that to snack on.

One more thought:

Don't dump everything on her at once. Divide stuff up and dole out one thing per hour or so. I had a bag of surprises for each day for each of our last moves and doled things out as needed, but never sooner than an hour. We hit some national parks on our way and I got a few fun things in secret along they way, some park coloring books and things like that.

a big roll of masking tape! Very popular around here. Kids like to stick and unstick it from themselves or whatever is around, or you can use it to tape stuff nearby so she stops dropping it...

I have a travel aquadoodle that has been a huge hit on trips with DD. I'll probably try it for the twins (19months) next time. Probably redundant with the magnadoodle though. DD did like how she could write on herself or the window or whatever with it (it's just water).

Shoelaces and pasta. I like ziti best for littles, macaroni is a bit trickier. Tie a big washer or something to the end so the pasta stays on. Beware you will have crushed pasta in the carseat, but it's worth it.

Snack traps. Food and entertainment, all in one! I put cereal or trail mix in them.

Shoes that the kid can take off themselves (velcro sandals and such). My boys are endlessly amused by removing and attempting to put back on shoes.

Pipecleaners. 'nuff said.

I have a couple of those little games where the whole thing is sealed and full of water, and you try to get a ring on a stick or a ball in a hole or somesuch. You can get them at walmart, probably in the party favor aisle. Obviously my 19mo's can't actually DO the challenge, but it seems to be enough to just tip it around and watch stuff move.

One more thought:

Don't dump everything on her at once. Divide stuff up and dole out one thing per hour or so. I had a bag of surprises for each day for each of our last moves and doled things out as needed, but never sooner than an hour. We hit some national parks on our way and I got a few fun things in secret along they way, some park coloring books and things like that.

:iagree:

One more thought:

Oh, definitely going to have to space things out. :001_smile:

a big roll of masking tape! Very popular around here. Kids like to stick and unstick it from themselves or whatever is around, or you can use it to tape stuff nearby so she stops dropping it...

I have a travel aquadoodle that has been a huge hit on trips with DD. I'll probably try it for the twins (19months) next time. Probably redundant with the magnadoodle though. DD did like how she could write on herself or the window or whatever with it (it's just water).

Shoelaces and pasta. I like ziti best for littles, macaroni is a bit trickier. Tie a big washer or something to the end so the pasta stays on. Beware you will have crushed pasta in the carseat, but it's worth it.

Snack traps. Food and entertainment, all in one! I put cereal or trail mix in them.

Shoes that the kid can take off themselves (velcro sandals and such). My boys are endlessly amused by removing and attempting to put back on shoes.

Pipecleaners. 'nuff said.

I have a couple of those little games where the whole thing is sealed and full of water, and you try to get a ring on a stick or a ball in a hole or somesuch. You can get them at walmart, probably in the party favor aisle. Obviously my 19mo's can't actually DO the challenge, but it seems to be enough to just tip it around and watch stuff move.

Great ideas. I put masking tape on the list. And shoelaces and pasta for when she gets sick of pipe cleaners and pasta. :)

I just bought a snack trap at the store yesterday!

I've found that rolls of Smarties are a great road trip snack. Unwrapping the candies occupies the kids, the candies never get sticky, and they dissolve easily so they are not too hard for my 21 month old to eat. Plus, the kids are always excited to get a whole entire pack of candy all to themselves. ;)

ETA: And a bonus is that the rolls are small so they are easy to pack and take with you into restaurants, rest stops, etc.

Edited by Mommy Grommy