Menu

Anybody's kids get all mad and surly when they lose teeth?

I know there's been a lot for Moose to deal with, what with his papa dying and all. But he's all angry that his second top tooth fell out today.

Anyone else's kids react weirdly to having teeth fall out? Both my boys have had weird/anxious reactions to it in the past. I talk them through it, explain that it's how the Lord designed our bodies to work, etc. But Moose is MAD that his tooth fell out. :001_huh:

I dunno. Sometimes I feel like I have the weirdest kids in the world. :tongue_smilie:

I have heard of it. Some kids see it as little bits of their childhood being taken away. Like they are being forced to grow up. I think especially, since we call them 'baby teeth' it is like loosing a bit of that part of themselves. Letting him make a small pouch, tie with a cord and wear it around his neck may help him to have time to grieve its passing before he lets it go.

I have also heard of kids who really detest anything leaving their body. It has a bit of OCD roots. These kids may also struggle with having BMs, vomiting, loosing hair etc. It doesn't sound like that, just wanted to mention it in case it gets to be a bigger issue than just a tooth.

:grouphug::grouphug: Try to let him talk about it, without interjecting how he 'should feel'. Just let him process it. :grouphug::grouphug: Maybe share some stories of when you lost something you were not ready to let go of for him to see you understand the 'loss' part. :grouphug:

Hugs to you both, having such great loss, and then little reminders like this is so very painful.

I have also heard of kids who really detest anything leaving their body. It has a bit of OCD roots. These kids may also struggle with having BMs, vomiting, loosing hair etc. It doesn't sound like that, just wanted to mention it in case it gets to be a bigger issue than just a tooth.

:iagree: OCD kids and kids with anxiety disorders can have problems with this. They didn't choose to have their tooth come out and they can't control it or put it back. It can be quite disturbing for those children.

My oldest would cry and ask they be put back the first few times he lost teeth.

My youngest just lost a tooth the other day. He wasn't mad but he was a little upset and mostly embarrassed. I think he looks adorable, but he wouldn't open his mouth for us to see. He was also upset because it was a top tooth and it is making it a little difficult to make certain sounds when speaking.

I think change in general is a little hard on them at that age. After the first few teeth my oldest got used to it and it no longer bothered him to loose teeth.

DS has sensory issues along with mild anxiety.

He hates losing teeth!

He gets all weepy and will hardly eat for several days until he gets used to the 'new' way his mouth feels without that tooth.

Thankfully, he only has a few baby teeth left, as this has certainly been an adventure.