Menu

WWYD? Visiting family and toddler has diarrhea

So, background, I'm 30 weeks pregnant (ack!) and I woke up at 2am Tuesday morning/monday evening and vomited once. Then I had some diarrhea Tuesday. No other symptoms and other than exhausted I was fine. Two year old had a somewhat yucky diaper Tuesday, didn't sleep well Tuesday night, was fine wednesday. Yesterday evening she had two GROSS diapers....(I'm a vet tech and the one smelled like parvo, lol). She is acting normal, no fever that I've noticed, slept fine last night, etc. No vomiting (and to be fair, my vomiting the one time could have been just tummy ache plus pregnancy).

The dilemma is that today we were supposed to go do two things. The first was to meet up with my friend to have my son's portfolio evaluated. I cancelled that as we were meeting up at a big indoor play space and I couldn't see risking possible exposure to 100 toddlers. I'd be run out of town on a rail!

The second thing is that my mom is coming into town today. She will be staying at my sister's house 40 minutes away, through the weekend. She wants to meet up to have lunch and go shopping for baby things with both me and my sister (sister is also 30 weeks pregnant). I have only seen my mom once in the last several months (in May for 2 days) and probably won't see her again until the baby comes. My sister has an 18 month old who would be with us.

Now, do I go, and figure I can keep sanitizing the kids' hands and know that since the toddler is in a diaper she probably can't spread it? Wait and see if they can do it on the weekend and leave the toddler at home? The problem with that plan is that my husband NEEDS to work on our remodeling, as it has to be done by August or we lose our homeowner's insurance. So having him watch the 2 year old really messes with his plans.

What would you do? (my sister's kid goes to daycare, and my sister is pretty lax about germs...maybe just call her and ask her what she thinks?)

If you don't think he's going to vomit, I might put him in a carrier like an ergo on my back. That might have worked for the port eval. No "contact" with anyone else.

I always disclose, so I would start by telling your family what's up. THey may or may not care, but I always feel compelled to let them know what we are dealing with and let them know I will not be offended if they don't want to hang out.

If you don't think he's going to vomit, I might put him in a carrier like an ergo on my back. That might have worked for the port eval. No "contact" with anyone else.

I always disclose, so I would start by telling your family what's up. THey may or may not care, but I always feel compelled to let them know what we are dealing with and let them know I will not be offended if they don't want to hang out.

LOL, that would have been miserable...it is an indoor play place...think giant preschool classroom.....toys EVERYWHERE! Taking her there but not letting her get down to play would have been cruel and unusual punishment. I can meet my friend another day.

I'd stay home, if for no other reason than I can't imagine being out and dealing w/a toddler w/diarrhea.

Well, she hasn't had a bowel movement today at all, and it was just two yesterday. So not frequent, just nasty smelling and not right. If she were still teething it would be blamed on that, but she has all her teeth.

If your mom and sister are lax about germs, I guess you could ask them how they feel about it. I am lax about cold germs. Stomach bugs gross me out. It is not a chance I'd want to take with my family. :ack2: Especially being pregnant. It sounds like a fun time with your mom and sister though.

LOL, that would have been miserable...it is an indoor play place...think giant preschool classroom.....toys EVERYWHERE! Taking her there but not letting her get down to play would have been cruel and unusual punishment. I can meet my friend another day.

Yeah, I thought maybe she could look at your port somewhere else if you absolutely had to get it done, kwim? But as the mom of a 2 yo who would loudly protest in that situation, I understand!

Hope you are all feeling better soon!

Yeah, I thought maybe she could look at your port somewhere else if you absolutely had to get it done, kwim? But as the mom of a 2 yo who would loudly protest in that situation, I understand!

Hope you are all feeling better soon!

ah, gotcha! No, my friend was already going to the play place, and that is why were were meeting there. WE will just meet up next week.

I don't know what I would do, Katie. But, I worked at an animal shelter for 3 years and you just sent me back 20 years! That smell of parvo can never be forgotten! I smell it right now in my memories! :) Just thought I'd make you smile a bit. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Unless someone in your immediate group has compromised immunity, I'd go as planned, provided the diarrhea doesn't continue. I'd tell mom/sister and make sure my kid wasn't all over everything during the outing.

Frankly, I think it's more likely that her daycare child will give your kid a bug than the other way around. Most bugs are most contageous before they get yucky, not after.

Just ask the other adults and pack a bag of clothes for her and you, JIC.

Especially with your sister being pregnant, I wouldn't want to chance it without her blessing. If your child is still contagious, you have 2 toddlers around each other, I would fully expect one to pass it to the other, and then passed to the mom.

There are some kid bugs that primarily stick with kids, as the adults have immunity to them. But with this one, if you had it, it could be a bug that has mutated. In this new form, it is possible to pass it through to everyone you have close contact with, children and adults.

If you decide to get together, I would buy some alcohol based hand sanitizer and make sure it is use freely thorough the day. I would let the kids use disposable cups and toss them as you are done with the beverage (to avoid sharing later). Sanitize strollers and toys as you can throughout the day.