Menu

Washing machine purchase--feedback needed

Hi folks,

Our washing machine died just before we left town the week before last. It was rather spectacular--parts literally were flying out of the barrel. :eek:

We are considering two washing machines from Whirlpool. Both are front loaders.

WFW9400S

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=115&productId=1005&successful_search=WFW9400S

WFW9200S

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=115&productId=1004&successful_search=WFW9200S

We are attracted to front loaders because of the water efficiency. However, I am also a little spooked because of threads on this board about stinky clothes with front loaders. Can you share your experience?

Has anyone had experience with these models?

Any model or feature we should avoid? Look for?

We are NOT good housekeepers here. We are NOT likely to use a million luxurious features--we throw our clothes in and call it a day. Just FYI. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input!

I bought the Cabriolet by Whirlpool. It is supposed to use lots less water than the typical top-loader and doesn't have any of the front-loader's problems. I've had it for over a year and I haven't found anything I do not like about it. I can't use a front-loader because I have six screws in my back and can't do a lot of bending. It has a huge tub and I get my laundry done more quickly than I used to, as well.

ETA: I just read the other post - that's what I meant - the Cabrio - I got it mixed up with the VW car.

My washer and dryer both pooped out on the same day about 6 weeks

ago. I bought the Whirlpool Cabrio and love them, got them in the new

silver color. The repairman that came and diagnosed my old machines

(that were only 8 years old, also Whirlpool, Gold) said front loaders

have many problems. I was seriously considering the front loaders

and my friend hated her new front loader and talked me out of it.

She has since took hers back and got something else. The Cabrio

uses way less water than the typical top-loader and looks cool too.

One little problem, the lid is longer and actually hits the bottom of

my cupboard above. I just have to be careful and the lid does stay

up without being fully extended. I think the Cabrio is rate well on

Consumer Reports too.

Laurie in CA

I don't have either of those, but I do have a front loader, about 2 years old, and have never had a problem with smelly clothes. I don't leave the door open or do any other kind of maintenance. I do use Amway laundry products exclusively. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, and I don't intend to do any experimenting to find out, lol.

Strider, I worried a lot about all the things I had seen and now kick myself that I even lost any time on it. Just get the nicest Whirlpool frontloader you can afford and you'll love it. No vibrations, hardly any sound, cleans great. All you do is wipe the boot (the rubber thing) after you use it, put the rag on the door and leave the door ajar. Use a powdered detergent, not liquid, which leaves more residue and can promote mold. And run the sanitary cycle once a month. That's IT. You're gonna love it. These new machines are like a dream! And they're so easy to run, my 9 yo now does all her own laundry and anything else I'll let her! :)

BTW, if your dryer isn't broken, don't bother to replace. The fancy dryers are not impressive and not quieter than the thing you already have, just prettier and more expensive. Ok, so they're sized to hold more, but that's about it, nothing impressive. LOVE, adore, and watch as television the new washer. Just get it. You're gonna LOVE it.

The Duet is (was, at least) recommended by Consumer Reports. We bought the WFW9200S. The 9200 & the 9400 are almost alike, but the 9400 has a few features that my 9200 doesn't have: a wool cycle & a silk cycle (neither of which I would ever use) and two other "specialty cycles" (a quick wash cycle that washes a lightly soiled load in 28 minutes, and a bulky items cycle) -- but you can adjust the settings on the 9200 to accomplish the same things). The 9200 has a 3-tray dispenser for detergent, bleach, and fabric softener, while the 9400 has 4-tray dispenser so it can also dispense for prewash (I just spray prewash directly on the clothes and would never use a dispenser for it). The 9400 has a slightly faster maximum spin speed, but I almost never use the highest spin speed on my 9200 anyway. Also there is a slight difference in appearance: a little more chrome/stainless steel around the door on the 9400.

I agree with almost everything OhElizabeth has to say. I got my Whirlpool Duets in March, and I absolutely love both of them! I leave the washer door open for a day after laundry day to let it dry thoroughly, and haven't had any problems with smell. I didn't get the steam because I figured "I've never had steam, so I won't miss it." That decision saved us about $700 overall (between washer and dryer).

My kids (ages 10 and 11) have now taken over all of their own laundry duty. I don't know how it happened, but getting these front loaders has somehow made the kids more capable! They were already sorting their own clothes, but now they load the clothes, measure the powdered detergent (and any boosters, as needed) into the dispenser, wash, transfer, dry, fold, and put away EVERYTHING! It's been an amazing transformation. I don't understand it, but I don't argue with success! :o)

As for the dryer, I am very glad I got the matching dryer. It is huge inside! This makes everything dry better. I don't over-load it, but having the extra room helps dh's shirts and slacks dry smoother. I haven't needed to iron hardly anything. I can dry large blankets, comforters, matress pads, and rugs.

Oh, if you get the set, and you can swing the extra $100, get the worksurface thingy that goes on top. I didn't get the storage drawers underneath, and it's nice to have a folding surface. Also, it keeps socks and stuff from sliding off the back of the W/D.

I really don't think you'd be disappointed with the front loaders. They seem to have addressed the problems that were prevalent when they first came out several years ago. Just let your washer dry out between uses, and you should be happy!

:thumbup:

I have an LG frontloader and we LOVE it. I have back problems, so DH made a box for it to sit on, like the ones that go fot $1-200 in the stores. I've never had any problems with odor. I LOVE my washer!!!!

The Duet is (was, at least) recommended by Consumer Reports. We bought the WFW9200S. The 9200 & the 9400 are almost alike, but the 9400 has a few features that my 9200 doesn't have: a wool cycle & a silk cycle (neither of which I would ever use) and two other "specialty cycles" (a quick wash cycle that washes a lightly soiled load in 28 minutes, and a bulky items cycle) -- but you can adjust the settings on the 9200 to accomplish the same things). The 9200 has a 3-tray dispenser for detergent, bleach, and fabric softener, while the 9400 has 4-tray dispenser so it can also dispense for prewash (I just spray prewash directly on the clothes and would never use a dispenser for it). The 9400 has a slightly faster maximum spin speed, but I almost never use the highest spin speed on my 9200 anyway. Also there is a slight difference in appearance: a little more chrome/stainless steel around the door on the 9400.

We got these too, we got them because we traded in our Kenmores, because the dryer vent was leaking water and the loads were not spinning correctly.

So far , so good, other than dont put two big blankets in washer. Do one at a time. Also, if you are short like me make sure you get pedestals or you will break back. And make sure you have basket ready when open doors cause stuff will fall out.

Jet

I have a Kenmore front loader (Whirlpool makes these) and have been very, very happy with it. The only problem I've had is the stinkiness, but I just run a bleach load through and it's gone.

(Oh, and the time I left a big ol' darning needle in my pocket and it clogged the motor so the tub couldn't drain. That might be considered user error, though. Heh.)

My sister, however, has the LG TROMM HE Washer and IT IS THE MOST AWESOME THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. It holds at least twice the amount of clothes that mine does. It has WAY more functions. I've never heard her mention the stinky problem. It even sings pretty little songs when it's done, which frankly would have sold me right there.

I forget why we got the Kenmore; I think it was a more cost-effective option than the Whirlpools, which were the top-rated at the time I think. However, if I had it do over, I would get the LG and hang the expense!

I leave the washer door open for a day after laundry day to let it dry thoroughly, and haven't had any problems with smell.

As for the dryer, I am very glad I got the matching dryer. It is huge inside! This makes everything dry better. I don't over-load it, but having the extra room helps dh's shirts and slacks dry smoother. I haven't needed to iron hardly anything. I can dry large blankets, comforters, matress pads, and rugs.

We got the 9400 dryer instead of the 9200 because it has some extra features I wanted. My "pair" isn't a perfect match (9400 has more stainless steel around the door than than the 9200 does) but they're in the laundry room, so who's going to see them besides the family anyway??

We did get the pedestals, which I like, but if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't get them because now they're too tall and I'd rather have a work surface on top.

The Duets are also stackable, if that would be something you'd want. We have friends who bought their pair a few months before we did, and they bought the adaptor-thingy so they could stack them. We weren't able to do that because of cabinets in our laundry room.

We too have the work surface over the top and didn't get the pedestals. I thought I would want them higher but was concerned about vibrations. Turns out vibrations are a non-issue for us and the height hasn't been a problem, even with me being prego. Now granted Strider is way taller than I am, so take that for what it's worth. :)

I looked at the LG's, but there were real issues in our area with getting service. I sprang for the 5 year warranty, just for peace of mind, figuring one service call is the same cost as the 5 year extended warranty.

Yeah, the steam on the whirlpools has been a crock. It's ok, but nothing amazing. On the other hand, I like the quick cycle, find myself using that quite often (stains on toddler clothes with a guest, forgot something and need it fast, etc.), and I like the way the soap dispenser is set up. You DEFINITELY want it to have the sanitary cycle, which is what you run to get your washer clean once a month. We had hoped the steam was going to turn out to be the savior of the world for shirts and pants, oh well. The dryer runs sort of hot, so you have to pull it out before it says, or you just bake the wrinkles back in. It doesn't really work like you think it ought to. First it heats (setting them in), then it spritzes water, and then it heats again to turn the spritzed water to steam. I think the LG actually releases steam. I figure it would just clog with minerals from our well water anyway, lol.

These machines are funny because if you look at the specs, supposedly they all hold about the same. Some of the fronts on some brands are angled funny and more prone to letting things fall out, etc. The LG does have some nice features (coin trap, etc.). Like I said though, it was the ability to get local service that was the deal breaker for me.

BTW, I'm using that Charlie's Soap which is what the ladies on the board here had recommended when I asked for something powdered and fragrance free. It's cheap and easy to get shipped to you online. My SIL uses the big tubs of stuff you get at Sears, likes it just fine, but it has fragrance.

It is also nice to know that the front loaders use less detergent as well, so we are being kinder to nature by using less detergent, less water and less power.

Leaving the door of the washer open to emit moisture post-wash is important. But my wife and I are very pleased at how well our front-loader (a Miele) cleans the clothes.

Bill

I bought the Cabriolet by Whirlpool. It is supposed to use lots less water than the typical top-loader and doesn't have any of the front-loader's problems. I've had it for over a year and I haven't found anything I do not like about it. I can't use a front-loader because I have six screws in my back and can't do a lot of bending. It has a huge tub and I get my laundry done more quickly than I used to, as well.

ETA: I just read the other post - that's what I meant - the Cabrio - I got it mixed up with the VW car.

Another vote for the Cabrio. We have had ours for a little over a year and love it.