Menu

Anyone else need to be sedated for a dental cleaning?!

I attempted the dentist this morning. It was a sad attempt.

I can't tolerate the sounds of that water thing or scraping! So i got xrays, 2 teeth cleaned and a lecture.

My ears still hurt and it has been an hour.

They said i need a deep cleaning, 4 tiny cavities filled, and i should have cleanings every 3 months! Of course this deep clean is not covered by insurance.

How can i do what i need to do? I physically can't tolerate the sounds, and an ipod or other music source will not help with that high pitched screeching sound.

I have not had full sedation dental work, but I have been prescribed Valium to take beforehand. I have dental anxiety and the Valium helped. The only disadvantage (to me) is that someone had to drive me there and home again and I found that embarrassing.

Did you get nitrous? That helps me. Did you try an I-pod (I know you said it wouldn't help, but I didn't know if you tried it or assumed.) I like loud music that I can focus on, as opposed to meditation type to relax. It doesn't block the sounds, but with the nitrous, it gives me a "closer" sound to follow.

My dentist will also give you a Valium (or whatever the equivalent is.). The hitch is that you need someone to drive you, so I haven't resorted to that.

And I have seen an advertisement for someone that does sedation for cleanings.

Can you do sedation to get a deep cleaning and the cavities filled? After that, I would think the visits would be less traumatic and you might get by with the Valium.

I was thinking about aiming for sedation for the first cleaning, deep cleaning, and cavities. Its been 7 years since i've stepped foot into a dentist and that was oral surgery for wisdom teeth.

My father gets gas and novicane (sp?) for regular cleanings, and my kids are autistic, so i am not surprised that this didn't work.

Is there any drug that numbs the senses? Not sure if that makes sense. I have never been on any drugs (illegal or prescription!) so i dont know whats out there. Does it sound like valium would help?

Xanax is what you want. It is like valium but with a shorter half life, so more appropriate for medical procedures. You will need someone to drive you. Ask the dentist. With Xanax on board, it is unlikely that anything will bother you. It is an anti-anxiety med and makes you just be very mellow and sedated. Fwiw, after a few years of using Xanax for any significant dental procedure, the anxiety had abatd so much (due to the many years of stress free procedures thanks to Xanax) that I no longer need it!

Good luck!

:grouphug: I'm sorry you got a lecture.

Honestly, that's the part that upsets me the MOST for you.

NO doctor or dentist should lecture someone who is anxious about the visit in the first place.

The dentist I chose to go to after not going for 15 years did not lecture me or make me feel bad at all. Ever. Not even the first time I went.

I'd honestly never return to a dentist that lectured me. I have enough dental anxiety, thankyouverymuch.

:grouphug:

I have problems with the dentist too. Mine are more the whole having some guy so close to my face and having his shove stuff in my mouth. I used to take an Adavan before I went. Doctors up here don't often hand out Valium it's pretty strong.

Honestly, that's the part that upsets me the MOST for you.

NO doctor or dentist should lecture someone who is anxious about the visit in the first place.

The dentist I chose to go to after not going for 15 years did not lecture me or make me feel bad at all. Ever. Not even the first time I went.

I'd honestly never return to a dentist that lectured me. I have enough dental anxiety, thankyouverymuch.

I will have to switch all of us. I have had problems with them for the kids as well. I don't think they even understood my problem! They were saying how uncomfortable it may feel, but that doesn't bother me at all, its the sounds.

:grouphug:

I have problems with the dentist too. Mine are more the whole having some guy so close to my face and having his shove stuff in my mouth. I used to take an Adavan before I went. Doctors up here don't often hand out Valium it's pretty strong.

I hope that because i have never taken pain meds, anxiety, or anything else, that my regular dr would be willing to help. If not, i'll have to find a dentist that does sedate and can submit parts to my insurance.

I have a prescription for Ativan, and I take a couple before I have any dental work done.

The nerves in my teeth are all wonky- runs in the family, my dad has the same thing- and if they don't put the novacaine in a few different places, in exactly the right spots, I end up thrashing around in horrible pain during any drilling. :( My current dentist told me that, with my nerve issues, if I ever need a root canal or any other extensive work done, I'll have to be put under.

So yeah. I like my happy-pills before I go to the dentist. :D

I attempted the dentist this morning. It was a sad attempt.

I can't tolerate the sounds of that water thing or scraping! So i got xrays, 2 teeth cleaned and a lecture.

My ears still hurt and it has been an hour.

They said i need a deep cleaning, 4 tiny cavities filled, and i should have cleanings every 3 months! Of course this deep clean is not covered by insurance.

How can i do what i need to do? I physically can't tolerate the sounds, and an ipod or other music source will not help with that high pitched screeching sound.

Was the lecture about your anxiety or was it about oral hygiene instruction? If it was about your anxiety, it was totally out of bounds wrong. However, we are required(I am a hygienist) to advise about periodontal disease and your responsibilities after the deep cleanings in order to keep your periodontal condition under control. Some people hear this as a lecture. We are required to do this and document it for the protection of our licences. Undiagnosed(or not well explained) periodonal disease is still the number one reason for law suits in dentistry.

Ultrasonic instruments are very important to the process to remove the large deposits. I would ask for a script for whatever that office is comfortable in giving. You still will hear the sounds, but may calm your anxieties.

Are you sure the deep cleanings are not covered at all. Often they are covered at 50%. They are considered restorative(like a filling or crown) and no longer preventative like "regular" cleanings which are covered at a higher percentage. 3 month recalls are advised following deep cleanings. Insurance will usually cover most of the cost for twice a year. The other appointments are at your cost. Dental insurance is really viewed as a supplement these days. Our patients almost always have some sort of out of pocket cost.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Hoping next time is better.

I feel your pain!!!! I was such a train wreck a couple of weeks ago with my anxiety level being high. I had taken something hoping to take the edge off, but that didn't work. I made it through the cleaning, but his exam was torture and he didn't even do anything but look in my mouth:banghead:. He could tell I was just about to bolt so he made it quick. My insurance doesn't cover the gas (which is what I have always had in the past and made things go much smoother) - it is almost $100.00 each time for the gas now and there is no way I can afford that. I am going to look into the Xanax. I even have anxiety attacks when my children have check-up appointments - I am grateful that my husband is able to take them before work early in the morning.

:grouphug: I haven't been to the dentist in a long time, and I know I need work done. I have at least two cavities, a filling that needs replacing, a crown that fell out and needs to be put back on, and a good cleaning. But I just can't do it. Besides being absolutely terrified, my teeth are also really super-sensitive and every the rinse water hurts. :glare: Plus all the scraping and drilling and... ack.

I only have very basic dental insurance that covers one cleaning a year and emergencies. So I'll have to pay for the fillings and such, plus the sedation. I'll wait. :lol: (I know, not funny, I should go. But I don't have the money even if I wanted to go.)

I can so relate to you :grouphug: I despise going to the dentist...would rather have a mammogram..lol! I have done gas in the past and also Xanax...I have an appt at 3:00 this afternoon after 2 years of being MIA. The only reason I'm going is I have a very sensitive tooth. I'm going to attempt to go through it without anything this time. Good luck to you!

Definitely go through with the cleaning, whether it be this dentist or another. Periodontal disease is wicked.

When I started my "deep cleaning", my pockets (the depth they measure between the gum line and where the tissue actually connects was 11 mm deep.

Go get a ruler. Get a visual on that. / Bad huh?

That open pocket retains bacteria, infection and some other really, really bad stuff.

After 1 years treatment, aggressive, my "pockets" now measure 1 mm deep and are very normal. I'd get more graphic, but you'd pass out. The gum tissue itself cannot heal with all that space.

Side effects & dangers of the disease include heart attack, stroke, chronic infections you just can't shake. Even mental health.

Get knocked out if you have to-but get it done. This is really critical stuff.

Definitely go through with the cleaning, whether it be this dentist or another. Periodontal disease is wicked.

When I started my "deep cleaning", my pockets (the depth they measure between the gum line and where the tissue actually connects was 11 mm deep.

Go get a ruler. Get a visual on that. / Bad huh?

That open pocket retains bacteria, infection and some other really, really bad stuff.

After 1 years treatment, aggressive, my "pockets" now measure 1 mm deep and are very normal. I'd get more graphic, but you'd pass out. The gum tissue itself cannot heal with all that space.

Side effects & dangers of the disease include heart attack, stroke, chronic infections you just can't shake. Even mental health.

Get knocked out if you have to-but get it done. This is really critical stuff.

:iagree::iagree:

Please get it done. It will be SO worth the money in the long run. Then make it a priority to go twice a year! It will save a lot of pain. :(

I hate the dentist, too, but my mom is a hygienist so I'm brain washed. :)

I know it would be worth the money, but the money dies not exist. :( i have nothing to dip into to do it.

I have to try and see if the other local dentist that takes my insurance also has a sliding scale for out of pocket procedures.

The money is why i hope my dr will prescribe the xanax or valium.