Menu

block scheduling, anyone?

I searched the boards and it doesn't really seem that anyone does block scheduling.

My 13 yr old has asked for it (though she didn't know what it was called) and I would consider it.

We'd do Math, Latin, German, LA (writing, vocab, and lit), Greek if we add it, instrument practice, and confirmation prep everyday. Swim team several x/wk.

We'd do History, Science, Grammar, Logic, Art/Music Appreciation in month-long blocks completing half the wk Aug - Dec and the other half Feb -May (eg: Science chapters 1-16 in August, Logic chapters 1 - 16 in Sept, et c. then Science again chapters 17-32 in Feb, Logic 17-32 in March, and so on).

Wow . . . I'm just not sure that sounds do-able.

This is by no means set in stone. It's something I'm willing to consider. She said that she'd like to start a subject and work it all the way through and then go on to the next, repeat. I feel strongly that some subjects must be done daily (math, latin, et c). She agrees with that. I also feel that completing half in the first semester and half in the second semester would be better.

Still, I can see why this might not be a good idea.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried it!

I'm considering it for next year too, with my 9yo. I think it would suit her pretty well.

My husband and I both went to the Colorado College, where they use the "block plan" and classes are the full semester of info in a concentrated 3.5 weeks. It was amazing, but especially challenging in math & foreign languages. I loved it, and everyone I know who went there who chose to go to grad school had an easy transition. In that method you really learn how to learn, even if the specifics of a particular topic get lost after a class is over.

My plan (at least as of right now) is to spend the mornings doing the daily work (math, languages, music), and then use the afternoons and evenings for the block-plan material. We're doing U.S. History (Mayflower to ~1814) in September, then moving onto Geology in October. We might do a Geography segment next, and Literature after that.

:D

I know you said you would like to hear from someone who has tried it. I haven't, but I want to say that I would listen to what your daughter is asking. It can't hurt to try. ANd, if she is asking for it, that may make her motivation stronger.

Good luck!

You know . . . that's what I'm thinking. She thought of it, wants it, and asked for it. She's a good kid so I rather feel that I should try to make it work. And, even if I don't think it seems doable, it being her idea and desire, maybe the motivation will get her there.

Thanks for the input, heritage!

I'm considering it for next year too, with my 9yo. I think it would suit her pretty well.

My husband and I both went to the Colorado College, where they use the "block plan" and classes are the full semester of info in a concentrated 3.5 weeks. It was amazing, but especially challenging in math & foreign languages. I loved it, and everyone I know who went there who chose to go to grad school had an easy transition. In that method you really learn how to learn, even if the specifics of a particular topic get lost after a class is over.

My plan (at least as of right now) is to spend the mornings doing the daily work (math, languages, music), and then use the afternoons and evenings for the block-plan material. We're doing U.S. History (Mayflower to ~1814) in September, then moving onto Geology in October. We might do a Geography segment next, and Literature after that.

:D

We're right on the same page, anabelneri! I was thinking rise, chores, and brekkie, then straight into dailies: Math, Latin, German, et c. Break. Then afternoons doing the block courses. As those are the courses that we really enjoy doing the projects for and watching documentaries, I can see this going into evenings, too.

Wow, an entire uni semester in 3.5 weeks! I like the idea but it seems so daunting. You have helped me believe it really can work,

Thanks!!

I am trying to get both of my boys on the same level and ease the gap due to reading and then combining. Until then I was thinking this school year of having each with a week on a week off, alternating. That way my days are still short. One is going into K and I want a very solid foundation and don't want to miss making sure letters of formed correctly, etc. The other still needs a lot of guidance on reading and math. We shall see how it goes!

My son did block schedule for high school. He had a few college classes that went a semester and then a math and biology class that lasted a year. But other than that we fit each of his classes in a three week---five week period.

You do need to make sure that you don't have any interruptions (or are willing to make up on weekends) such as doctor's appts during those classes. I found that even taking an afternoon off is a big deal during such a short class.

Last year we did the basics/core, Math, L.A., Reading and then we broke things into sections. Unit of history for 6 weeks, Unit of Science for 6 weeks. It worked okay.

When I think of block scheduling I think of how the school I attended did it. Which was Day A I had Math, Chem, History, Typing and Day B I had English, Phys. Ed, Multi Cultural Lit. and another elective.