Menu

I used it for a while and wasn't impressed enough to continue. To use it like it's recommended, you have to keep it on for 15 minutes or more. I only shampoo every other day and it was still a chore for me to do..I take quick showers :) I also found it hard to wash out. I have a lot of grey, slightly frizzy hair and it weighed it down too much for my taste. I'm sure different people have different results but that's my 2 cents.

I've used several of the Wen formulas -- they all have different properties, so it does matter which one you use. I rather liked some of the formulas (I liked the scalp tingle :001_smile:, and the way my hair felt afterwards), but long term they seemed less effective and they are crazy expensive. Every time I pumped some out, I wondered how much that just cost!

Anyway, I've moved on. They weren't good enough for the price for me.

I wanted to try it but the $$ scared me away.

I went for the Sally Beauty knock-off, and loved it! My hair is long, THICK (as in every.single.hairdresser comments on it for my entire life) and wavy...ugh, a mess. The Sally version did weigh my hair down (cuz I left it in, on the ends), which I need, because it has a tendency to mushroom due to the thickness. I mean, I have puffy, full hair...I'm like a lion, haha!

So liking that so much, it ran out after about a year, I thought I would give the WEN, the real thing, a try.

I don't like it. I don't feel like it does the same thing that the Sally version does. My hair doesnt' look as good. But worse of all, I feel it makes my scalp flaky. I don't put alot of my scalp, just enough to get to the skin and clean it, reserving most for the middle and ends. Same way I did with the Sally version, but with WEN, I feel like there was alot of build up.

As of now, I'm using it off and on, with another shampoo, until it's gone, mostly as a conditioner for the ends. Then I'll go back to Sally!

I remember seeing

review on it a year ago and thought it pretty much explained all the pros and cons. There is also a coupon code for Wen in the information box. don't know if it's still valid though. Her actual review starts at 1:25 if you don't want to listen to her opening comments. :) Hope this is helpful to somebody. :)

Oh, on the "Beauty Brains" site they had this great explanation about why you can use just about any conditioner like a shampoo. There isn't anything special about wen.

So, try using a conditioner you like as a shampoo and see how it works. If you like it then consider trying wen?

FWIW, I tried it and I like it during the dry winter months. Once the hot and steamy months show up, I need to use shampoo or my hair gets gross. But, I do really like using only conditioner for most of the year. I live in the NE so it's just a couple months where I find shampoo to be mandatory.

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I tried it. It's nasty. Or, if not nasty, then just not anything special. It smells nice, but it kind of weighed my hair down. And the gel that came with it was crap. I tried the deep treatment that came with it, but it was way too heavy. Gave it to a friend and she liked it, but she has very thick, curly, mixed hair. I think it would be too much for most Anglo hair.

All in all, my hair was still way frizzy without curl creme/gel. And it didn't seem to be much different than regular shampoo/conditioner. I've also tried DevaCurl's no-poo and felt about the same. Just not that impressed.

I think I'll stick with my cheapie Suave. I dig the rosemary mint scent!

Just fwiw, L'Oreal has a cleansing conditioner for about $6 a bottle. I use it every once in a while, because I love the smell. I used to have great hair, but I've lost a lot of it so it's just average now. It does make my hair a little softer but not too greasy.

Thanks for the Wen info--I've always been tempted!