Menu

More applause for zinc for acne!

Several people have posted threads this past year on zinc for acne. I'm always skeptical about a simple supplement solving a health problem -- :) -- but decided to give it a try.

My daughter has had acne problems for years, gradually getting worse, and we finally went to see a dermatologist about it a year and a half ago. After going on two different types of antibiotics and numerous prescription creams, the doctor felt her last -- and only -- option was to go on Accutane, which also by law required her to go on birth control pills.

I told the doctor we wanted to take a couple of months to think about it, and instead we cut her antibiotics in half (taking them just once/day instead of twice), and went on 50 mg. zinc.

Yesterday was the follow-up appointment. My daughter's skin is beautiful. Not quite flawless, but so much better. The doctor was confused at first and admitted she thought she must have been on the Accutane already. When I told her it was the zinc supplements, she was not quite believing that that's what helped, but she jotted it in her notes and said my daughter didn't need to be doing anything else.

So, thank you, thank you!!! I feel so good about this. My daughter's acne was the more severe, cystic kind, too, so we feel really fortunate.

Several people have posted threads this past year on zinc for acne. I'm always skeptical about a simple supplement solving a health problem -- :) -- but decided to give it a try.

My daughter has had acne problems for years, gradually getting worse, and we finally went to see a dermatologist about it a year and a half ago. After going on two different types of antibiotics and numerous prescription creams, the doctor felt her last -- and only -- option was to go on Accutane, which also by law required her to go on birth control pills.

I told the doctor we wanted to take a couple of months to think about it, and instead we cut her antibiotics in half (taking them just once/day instead of twice), and went on 50 mg. zinc.

Yesterday was the follow-up appointment. My daughter's skin is beautiful. Not quite flawless, but so much better. The doctor was confused at first and admitted she thought she must have been on the Accutane already. When I told her it was the zinc supplements, she was not quite believing that that's what helped, but she jotted it in her notes and said my daughter didn't need to be doing anything else.

So, thank you, thank you!!! I feel so good about this. My daughter's acne was the more severe, cystic kind, too, so we feel really fortunate.

Amazing and wonderful for you guys! We are filing this info away.

I've been helped by medical people in emergencies (ruptured appendix - near death, blah blah), but I tell you what, for longer term health and resolved issues, the alternative methods have worked far better for our family.

I just posted my experience in Barb's thread. It may be worse to be in your late 30’s with wrinkles and pimples, but I've been taking zinc, and my skin is much better. I'm not sure if I have cystic acne - it just happened to get a lot worse during my pregnancy and continued until now. Hormones?

I'm glad to read about your positive experience with your daughter and the doctor's reaction.

This is great! Can you tell me exactly what kind of zinc (are there different kinds?) and how much? I had acne as a teenager and I still get cystic pimples now. I would love to improve my skin!

I'm taking chelated zinc from Natural Factors. I take two 25mg per day. This is extra supplementation since my multiple vitamin also has a little of it.

This is the first I've seen this!

At 32, I'm getting tired of the niggling little breakouts.

Has anyone found zinc helpful for hormonal acne (my break outs are pretty cyclical).

Yes! I'm like that too, worse during the cycle, but not this time, due to zinc. I'm older than you and had to suffer for so many years after my pregnancy. I'm so sick of having wrinkles, sunspots and pimples!

My daughter took 50 mg of Zinc Picolinate for a month (someone here recommended it), and now is taking 25 mg of Chelated Zinc (someone had recommended that, too), plus she gets another 10 or so in a greens powder.

I haven't tried the Witch Hazel, but I think we'll do that next!

Has anyone found zinc helpful for hormonal acne (my break outs are pretty cyclical).

I'm about the same age and started taking a multivitamin this year. According to the label it has zinc as amino acid chelate, 25mg per serving size (which is 6 tabs per day.) I only took 2 tabs per day for about a week and was surprised at how clear my skin became. I was breaking out all over my neck and a little on my face. It seemed to be hormonal, but can't say for sure. I am not great at remembering to take the vitamins but I notice a difference in my skin when I am better about it.

Me too. Except I'm even older (36). I haven't tried the zinc, but the one thing I found that has worked pretty well is using a sulfur mask every morning for 10 minutes. I may try adding zinc too, but the sulfur has done wonders for the hormonal stuff.

This is probably a funny question, but how is the Witch Hazel used? Is it used as a cleaning solution, or applied after you wash your face? Do you rinse it off?

I used to use Thayer's brand and it's sold as a toner. I believe the directions say to apply with a cotton ball after washing one's face. No rinsing required.

I used to use Thayer's brand and it's sold as a toner. I believe the directions say to apply with a cotton ball after washing one's face. No rinsing required.

The one I have, and it could be Thayer, can be used as a moisturizer, but that alone didn't do anything for me. :confused: But zinc did. I'm really into organic, natural ways of handling skin problems, so I've tried a number of things. But I'm also not a teenager, so it could be different. Pregnancy and nursing may have contributed to skin problems or it could have been just being in my 30’s. I still use witch hazel because it's cheap and soothing.

Me too. Except I'm even older (36). I haven't tried the zinc, but the one thing I found that has worked pretty well is using a sulfur mask every morning for 10 minutes. I may try adding zinc too, but the sulfur has done wonders for the hormonal stuff.

Yeah, sulfur is supposed to be great, but I haven't tried this for awhile.

May I ask what brand you use?

My ds15 is on meds for acne. His face is bad. When I was in high school, we called it pizza face. I hope he's never heard that term!!

He takes a multivitamin so he gets some zinc. How much more should I try? I've also heard that zinc can bring on nausea and that it can cause an iron deficiency because it messes up the way iron is absorbed in the body. These things have made me leery of trying zinc with him, but we're getting desperate. He hates the way he looks.

My ds15 is on meds for acne. His face is bad. When I was in high school, we called it pizza face. I hope he's never heard that term!!

He takes a multivitamin so he gets some zinc. How much more should I try? I've also heard that zinc can bring on nausea and that it can cause an iron deficiency because it messes up the way iron is absorbed in the body. These things have made me leery of trying zinc with him, but we're getting desperate. He hates the way he looks.

From what I've read, you really need to start with a higher dosage than is in most multivitamins. My daughter had been taking a multivitamin with 10 mg of zinc in it for a long time. It wasn't until we upped that dosage to 50 mg (daily, over a period of a month) that her acne significantly improved.

I, too, read about the nausea and stomach problems, and I made sure to tell my daughter to let me know if she had even an inkling of that; she didn't. After a month, we decreased the dosage to 35 mg, and next month we'll decrease it again and see what happens. I'd like to find the least amount that is still effective.

Other people on this board (on other zinc threads) have said that they sometimes take a break from zinc altogether (not a permanent break, but short-term) once the acne is under control.

Dumb question, I am sure: Where does one buy witch hazel? What is it?

Can I find it at Wal-mart? Also, is there a good brand of zinc sold at Wal-mart?

Thanks!

IIRC, witch hazel is sold in plastic bottles, like rubbing alcohol or hydrogen pyroxide. Any pharmacy would have it, so probably walmart as well. (I used it when I was a teenager - I think it made things cleaner, but I don't remember it doing a whole lot for my acne)

What is the difference between picolinate and chelated zinc? Is one better than the other?

:bigear::lurk5:

FWIW, if he's having acne issues, he's probably low in zinc. Multivitamins contain the "RDA" -- recommended daily allowance to *maintain* healthy levels. RDA levels won't be enough if you're low in a vitamin or mineral. They'll only maintain levels once they're normal.

Teen boys, in particular, tend to be low in zinc. One reason is that semen contains a lot of zinc, so teen boys need extra zinc. If it's being used for semen production, this can deplete the zinc available for other uses in the body. Also, stress depletes ALL minerals -- zinc included -- and most teens are stressed for various reasons.

Zinc is imperative for immune health, growth, skin health, wound healing, mental health, etc. So, getting his levels up to normal is a good idea for many reasons.

As others have said, it might be worthwhile to try 30-50mg of zinc daily for a month or two, to see if his acne clears. Once the acne has cleared, you should be able to slowly drop the dose so that his zinc levels stay in the normal range. Think of it as "filling up the zinc tank" so you can just top if off once it's full. :)

HIH,

Lisa

YMMV -- always ask a pharmacist or doctor before taking a layman's advice about supplements.

Sorry--I haven't read this thread. I had to chuckle though because I *Just Now* realized the thread title says "applause" and every time I'd glanced at it before I saw "applesauce." I really should have read the thread because I remember wondering how applesauce helped acne. :lol:

My ds is 14 and I took him to the dermatologist in early May. He has 3 different meds for acne and his skin was about 30% better in 6 weeks, which the dr. was pleased with. I started him on chelated zinc (50mg per day) 2 weeks ago, and I think his acne is probably 60% improved now. The Dr. said it can't hurt to try and if the acne isn't 90% better by the end of July, he'll move on to the next step (antibiotics, I'd imagine). So, we are giving it our best shot for 4 weeks and will see what happens. So far, it seems to be helping!

I've had painful acne since my last pregnancy. I finally talked to my doctor about it a few months ago at my physical and he prescribed a cream and said the next step was antibiotics. It's not any better. After reading so many threads about zinc on here, I'm going to give it a try. I got a bottle this morning (and some witch hazel). Wish me luck!

Sorry--I haven't read this thread. I had to chuckle though because I *Just Now* realized the thread title says "applause" and every time I'd glanced at it before I saw "applesauce." I really should have read the thread because I remember wondering how applesauce helped acne. :lol:

That's funny! :)

What is the difference between picolinate and chelated zinc? Is one better than the other?

Sorry -- I don't really know the difference! These are just the two types that seemed to be recommended. The chelated zinc seemed to be recommended the most. Maybe someone else has the scientific explanation?

I am on the zinc bandwagon now! Based on this board's recommendation I started giving my daughter zinc for her acne. I started taking it myself, for the mini breakouts I get once in a while.

My daughter's skin looks great so we eased her down to 50 mg every third day or so.

The big news is my skin. My itchy and crusty and greasy scalp that I've been treating with all sorts of meds, shampoos, orals, etc. for a decade has almost completely healed. (99%) Plus, my dry flaky feet are becoming normal. For twenty years, I have dealth with rough dry feet. I've used everything on them. But within a few days of taking the zinc supplement, my callouses are falling off! I can't find any real scientific explanation for this.

I guess I don't care. Soon, I'll be able to wear my cutie sandals without worrying about my feet. As far as my scalp goes. I can go days without washing my hair!

Thanks!!!!

Thank you ladies! Now I need to make a run to Walmart for zinc. If this can truly help ds15, then I'm willing to let him try it. I'm just worried about how it will make him feel, so I'll keep a close eye on that.

I just checked his multivitamin. It says 11mg of zinc (as zinc oxide). So I need to give him just enough extra to make it a total of 50mg of zinc, right? I don't want him to take too much.

As for difference between chelated and picolinate, I found this: "Chelated minerals are bound to a compound and depending on what that compound is may be not absorbed well. Zinc Picolinate is a compound. I would suggest you consult a pharmacist regarding the most absorbable form for zinc."

Would that mean that picolinate is the way to go?

Thank you ladies! Now I need to make a run to Walmart for zinc. If this can truly help ds15, then I'm willing to let him try it. I'm just worried about how it will make him feel, so I'll keep a close eye on that.

I just checked his multivitamin. It says 11mg of zinc (as zinc oxide). So I need to give him just enough extra to make it a total of 50mg of zinc, right? I don't want him to take too much.

As for difference between chelated and picolinate, I found this: "Chelated minerals are bound to a compound and depending on what that compound is may be not absorbed well. Zinc Picolinate is a compound. I would suggest you consult a pharmacist regarding the most absorbable form for zinc."

Would that mean that picolinate is the way to go?

:bigear:

Yeah, sulfur is supposed to be great, but I haven't tried this for awhile.

May I ask what brand you use?

I use this one. They sell it at most drugstores. It makes a huge difference when I do it every day. It's kind of a pain, but worth it.

To help prevent nausea, have him take the zinc after a meal, on a full stomach. I never have nausea if I take it on a full stomach, but take it before eating in the morning or too late at night w/o a snack and, bam, I can be nauseated to the point of throwing up.

I am on the zinc bandwagon now! Based on this board's recommendation I started giving my daughter zinc for her acne. I started taking it myself, for the mini breakouts I get once in a while.

My daughter's skin looks great so we eased her down to 50 mg every third day or so.

The big news is my skin. My itchy and crusty and greasy scalp that I've been treating with all sorts of meds, shampoos, orals, etc. for a decade has almost completely healed. (99%) Plus, my dry flaky feet are becoming normal. For twenty years, I have dealth with rough dry feet. I've used everything on them. But within a few days of taking the zinc supplement, my callouses are falling off! I can't find any real scientific explanation for this.

I guess I don't care. Soon, I'll be able to wear my cutie sandals without worrying about my feet. As far as my scalp goes. I can go days without washing my hair!

Thanks!!!!

It's helped with itchy scalp? My scalp has been so itchy for years. Tried shampoos, but they don't really work for long. Thanks! I'm going to give the zinc a try.

Also, does it *have* to be chelated? Has anyone used non-chelated zinc with similar results?

It's helped with itchy scalp? My scalp has been so itchy for years. Tried shampoos, but they don't really work for long. Thanks! I'm going to give the zinc a try.

Also, does it *have* to be chelated? Has anyone used non-chelated zinc with similar results?

Picolinate doesn't need to be chelated because it has a naturally higher absorption rate. If the zinc is in a less readily available form like gluconate, it must be chelated (amino acids added) to fool the body into absorbing it rather than rejecting it as foreign.

ETA: Just learned Picolinate is zinc combined with Picolinic Acid (an enzyme), so it is basically a type of chelate as well.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Picolinate doesn't need to be chelated because it has a naturally higher absorption rate. If the zinc is in a less readily available form like gluconate, it must be chelated (amino acids added) to fool the body into absorbing it rather than rejecting it as foreign.

ETA: Just learned Picolinate is zinc combined with Picolinic Acid (an enzyme), so it is basically a type of chelate as well.

okay, so inquiring minds want to know... why do they even make gluconate zinc if it is going to be rejected?

okay, so inquiring minds want to know... why do they even make gluconate zinc if it is going to be rejected?

Without actually looking it up, I'm guessing its because zinc naturally occurs in concert with amino acids. The best absorbed sources of zinc are animal-based products, which are full of amino acids. Zinc is also found in plant and grain based products, but isn't absorbed as well.

This is what I would like to know as well. Especially since I just bought a bottle of the gluconate zinc.:glare:

Thanks for the Amazon link. I just hit the buy botton for the recommended type.

My 13 year old is really hoping this works. The doctor told him that antibiotics are going to be the only method that works for him. We are going to give this a try first - I just would like to avoid the antibiotic route.

I don't know about the different kinds of zinc. I happen to have a bottle that says "zinc amino acid chelate" that I bought years ago and still hasn't expired. Very inexpensive, from my local vitamin/natural food store. We'll see if it does anything for the small amount of acne I've been fighting off.

:lurk5:

eta, I've been wondering what the mechanism is for how zinc improves acne, whether it somehow impedes excess testosterone from affecting the skin, or whether it might work on core insulin issues, or whether metabolic issues are irrelevant to how the zinc helps. I don't know how accurate this article is, but when I googled diabetes and zinc, this is one of the first things that popped up - *very* interesting for a pcos person like myself (there are lots more articles on google of course - off to read them... :auto: How did I not know about this? The Hive to the rescue again!).

Edited by wapiti

I don't know about the different kinds of zinc. I happen to have a bottle that says "zinc amino acid chelate" that I bought years ago and still hasn't expired. Very inexpensive, from my local vitamin/natural food store. We'll see if it does anything for the small amount of acne I've been fighting off.

:lurk5:

eta, I've been wondering what the mechanism is for how zinc improves acne, whether it somehow impedes excess testosterone from affecting the skin, or whether it might work on core insulin issues, or whether metabolic issues are irrelevant to how the zinc helps. I don't know how accurate this article is, but when I googled diabetes and zinc, this is one of the first things that popped up - *very* interesting for a pcos person like myself (there are lots more articles on google of course - off to read them... :auto: How did I not know about this? The Hive to the rescue again!).

I realize now that zinc has been mentioned in books discussing natural ways to prevent acne. I don't know why I didn't whip out my book 8 years ago. I started googling after I posed this question. I recently read that saw palmetto, although mostly used by men, can also be used by women, to reduce testosterone level and thereby reduce acne.