Menu

It is working!

My ds is almost done with WWE 4. We are on week 29. I have posted quite a few times here with my frustration in teaching my ds dictation and narration. I've wondered many times about ditching WWE and using something else.

I kept at it for two reasons.

First, because the educational psychologist, who diagnosed ds with dyslexia, looked over WWE and said it looks perfect for him in how it is set up to teach writing.

Second, because I've read and listened to SWB on writing and I really like her view on it.

So I kept with it. We struggled. We cried. We became frustrated. We slowed down. We broke it up.

My mantra was, "Just keep swimming."

For the past two weeks my ds has given me really good narrations. This week he wrote his narration on his own without narrating to me first. He has never been able to do this!

Of course spelling and other editing is needed but the gist of the narration is exactly what we've been working so hard to achieve.

I'm doing the happy dance and we can't wait to start WWS. :D

My ds is almost done with WWE 4. We are on week 29. I have posted quite a few times here with my frustration in teaching my ds dictation and narration. I've wondered many times about ditching WWE and using something else.

I kept at it for two reasons.

First, because the educational psychologist, who diagnosed ds with dyslexia, looked over WWE and said it looks perfect for him in how it is set up to teach writing.

Second, because I've read and listened to SWB on writing and I really like her view on it.

So I kept with it. We struggled. We cried. We became frustrated. We slowed down. We broke it up.

My mantra was, "Just keep swimming."

For the past two weeks my ds has given me really good narrations. This week he wrote his narration on his own without narrating to me first. He has never been able to do this!

Of course spelling and other editing is needed but the gist of the narration is exactly what we've been working so hard to achieve.

I'm doing the happy dance and we can't wait to start WWS. :D

Congratulations!!!! I remember this feeling when my son started "getting it." It was a long road (this was before WWE was published, and I was using the WTM suggestions of copywork/dictation and narration), but bit by bit, he grew in his skills. Good for you for swimming through the frustrations when you had faith.

I am so happy for you. That is just wonderful!

You are not the first person I have met who has had a 'professional' say that WWE is perfect for kids with writing difficulties. But, you are the first I know who has truly kept at it. I should say that none of the rest were homeschoolers, so they are not used to taking that kind of initiative with their kids. It's not an easy thing to jump into with a 5th or 6th grader.

Good job to both of you!

ps: WWS is a whole different hill to climb. My son had already done WWE 2-4 when we started it. You might want to give yourself 2 years to work through? My son is fairly easy to teach and even he threw the book across the room a few times....because he didn't read the instructions! Ahem... I saw hims grow so much using WWS. It wasn't always easy, but we are both glad we did it.