Menu

Signing Time "Schedule"?

macmacmoo

I got the first three each a month apart. The kids watched the first until the second one came, and then a month later we got the third and they didn't want to watch the second one that they had memorized anymore. I got 4-6 a few weeks ago and they've been okay switching back, watching one than the other. But I don't schedule it.

We're using ST as the spine for my youngest's ASL. We had been watching just once a week, making sure to practice the signs all week. We watch until youngest has the signs down, then move to the next disc. However, youngest has recently requested that we start watching everyday at lunch. The main reason for this request is so that we'll move through faster. I think youngest wants to use The Joy of Signing, which I just bought for eldest.

We are currently using Signing Time once a month. Once a month, I check out the next DVD from the library and we watch it twice during the week, usually once on the weekend as a family and once during the week with just the girls and I.

Starting in August I'm planning to check out a new DVD every week (if they are available, sometimes I'm on the waiting list for a week or two) and watch the same way (twice during the week).

I used them quite a bit as my two older children were very young. Both were born with holes in their ears and so there was a potential concern about their future hearing. Anyway, they would each watch one video twice a day for about a week. I also did a sign class once a week, we signed constantly throughout the day and used their flashcards. I wouldn't normally promote 1 hr of screen time for a very young child or such a rigorous schedule, but since I was being potentially faced with real hearing issues- we used it. They picked it up very quickly.

....their hearing is perfect now, except the selective mutism that often comes with being an 8 year old.

I used it for my speech-delayed 2yo with a 5yo older sibling tagging along. We did one video per week and watched it probably 4x per week. I made sure to watch it with them so I could incorporate what we were learning into our everyday life.