Menu

if you were to buy an ipod...(or a different one)

...what would you buy? Or would you buy something different and why???

My husband and I both own ipods that are about 4 years old and mine is not holding a charge anymore, so I am considering getting a new/better one...but I know NOTHING about the subject. So please enlighten me with your thoughts.

I mainly use the ipod for podcasts, checking my email/weather/etc using wifi when I am not near my computer, (i don't have a smart phone), playing games sometimes...when we are waiting at a doctor's office..or in the car driving long distances...stuff like that. I would like to use it more...but I am uncertain as to the other things it might do...and a newer version would probably do more than the one I have now.

thanks for your help!!

Kathy

My DD loves her iTouch as a small camera and for facetime with her cousins, too, as well as music, games, an e-reader, and netflix. (For some reason, it's SO exciting to be able to watch Netflix on a teeny little screen vs watching it on the TV :tongue_smilie:) I haven't upgraded my iPod yet (I have an iPad and an older iTouch, and I'm not willing to pay iPhone package prices), but I have to say hers has me tempted.

netflix? I didn't know you could do that on a itouch (that is what I have...just an older one)...is that a feature of the newer ones? that would be cool!!!!

It's an app that you download (free if you have netflix). But you do have to be connected to wifi.

so if I pay for hulu plus, I can watch on my ipod...probably not worth that.

What else can be done on an ipod...trying to decide if it's worth getting a newer, more expensive, fancier one or not.

I have toyed with a notebook like a kindle or nook...but I just don't have time to read books and they don't do anything but that, right....or am I sorely mistaken??

so if I pay for hulu plus, I can watch on my ipod...probably not worth that.

What else can be done on an ipod...trying to decide if it's worth getting a newer, more expensive, fancier one or not.

I have toyed with a notebook like a kindle or nook...but I just don't have time to read books and they don't do anything but that, right....or am I sorely mistaken??

You can get the apps for the major networks and watch episodes of shows that way. But if you're wanting a device to do that, I'd definitely get the Kindle Fire over an iTouch.

I primarily use my Touch to listen to music, take it to the gym, listen to podcasts, listen to Pandora. So it's small enough to put in a pocket and listen on the go or while I'm cleaning, on the treadmill, etc.

pandora...now that is a thought...do you you need wifi for that?? I couldn't use that in the car, right??

Tell me more about a kindle fire....What does that all do?

How do I get all of these apps? How much do they cost? (the networks, pandora, etc.)

My kids and I have ipod Touches (3rd & 4th generations). The minute they no longer hold a charge, I'm online to Apple to order new ones.

Besides playing games, my kids stream Netflix, hulu, Youtube videos. Listen to music (pandora, itunes) and podcasts. Youngest is a musician and connects his to his amp, plays along with backing tracks. Both skype and chat on theirs. Most aps are just a couple of dollars. It's an amazing gadget and well worth the money.

Love them! We've had them for 3 or 4 years.

K (diehard PC person)