Menu

Opinions and help needed planning for the fall, please!

I am trying to schedule our year - broad overview down to a workable daily schedule. I don't see how y'all teach so many kids so many different things! I would appreciate any input you great schedulers can offer! I had posted something similar a little while back and Rose gave a great schedule, then I realized I didn't have all of our subjects listed!

So, here's the line up! BTW, I have two ds, ages 10 and 12, and we try to combine everything except math and spelling.

Bible - daily - Bible Study Guide for All Ages - 30 min?

Math - daily - Professor B, supplementing with Singapore or some generic workbook. I have to work one on one with them on the computer for Prof. B, hoping the workbook can be done independently. 45 min?

Spelling - 4x - Megawords (I am needed sometimes) and Apples Drill done mostly independently

Literature/Reading - 4x - Tying into history, using read alouds/alone and coordinating study guides. How long should we spend on this a day?

Writing - 2x- IEW Writing Trails in American History and learning to do bios, book reports writing across curriculum. How much time each day?

Grammar - 2x- Have Winston and Grammar Key (computer program)

History - 3x- Using the free losbonos American History

Science - 2x- God's Design. I have the Earth and Universe ones. I wanted to try to do the Machine and Motion one as well, but I think two in one year will be more than we will be able to manage!

Latin - 2x- Lively Latin

Typing - 1x- some computer program

Art - 1x- Discovering Great Artists, then I Can Do All Things.

Music- I don't even know what to use for this!

Logic - 1x - Mind Benders

Vocabulary - 1x - I guess we will just use words from History and Science and I also have EFRU that we only got thru 2 pages last year! :(

Computer Applications - 1x- I noticed in the Calvert Schedule how they tie in teaching things like spreadsheets, word processing, etc. with subjects. I think this is a great idea. My two really know nothing about using actual programs like Excel, Word, etc.

They also would love to do the Lego Robotics. I will have to save up for that, so maybe by the time I do, we could just replace the time for Computer Applications with that?

I really wanted use to enjoy school this year. Everything always seems so much like torture. I would love the be more CMasonish, but this really doesn't seem that way! How do you take a more laid back approach with shorter time periods and ever get all this done?

I have tried to attach a copy of what I have so far. I don't know if I did this right, so I hope it works! Please feel free to make any suggestions! It just seems like soooo much!

Thanks!

Kim

Daily Schedule.zip

Daily Schedule.zip

Your schedule sounds similar to mind. We combine everything except Math. We do Art, Typing, Logic, and Nature Studies only once a week. I know some who do Typing more than that but my sons really don't need that much since they were already informally typing. We do science 2x a week and history 3x a week. All other subjects such as spelling, math, english and Bible are daily. But here's our set up for the little ones from this past year which includes my high schooler also.

Thanks for the replies! How long do your days generally last? I was just trying to be very detailed this year bc my ds12 is only worried about when he'll be done! Its always "What all do we have to do today?", "How long is this going to take?", "What do we have to do next?", "When do you think we'll be finished?", "Is it time for a break yet?".

Indepence has not really developed here yet either, so I need to lay things out where I am available at all times to everyone!

Does it look like I have too much? Not enough time on things like writing?

We always have so many things that don't get done, I really want to do everything possible to avoid that this time around.

Blessings,

Kim:bigear:

Also with Latin . Latin really isn't a language you can do 2x's per week . It really is something that needs to be done daily if you want them to really learn it . If your only wanting to do something like that a couple times of week you may want to use something like English from the Roots up .

Depending on what your goals are studying Latin takes a commitment of daily work otherwise all that info is lost and you have to restart again resulting in frustration .

We start at 10:00, mom is not a morning person and go until 12:30 then take an hour lunch. We start back at 1:30 and go until about 3:00 or 3:30. My kids are older so you might not go that long, I have a 9th, 8th and 6th grader.

blessings

lori in tx who started back to school today

Gosh, Lori and Kysha, I don't see how you get all that done in that amount of time! Am I figuring in too much time for things? I noticed you used TOG, Lori. I have wanted that sooo badly for 2 yrs, but I knew it always took us so long to get things done that we would drown with that! I have got to be doing something wrong around here!

Blessings,

Kim

Gosh, Lori and Kysha, I don't see how you get all that done in that amount of time! Am I figuring in too much time for things? I noticed you used TOG, Lori. I have wanted that sooo badly for 2 yrs, but I knew it always took us so long to get things done that we would drown with that! I have got to be doing something wrong around here!

Blessings,

Kim

Hi Kim,

I think teaching group subjects has really helped us as far as time management and I try to make sure that we get our core into our days.

Hi, Kim! Well, actually, we do have two spelling books for the fall! My oldest has been using MegaWords and really likes it, so I'm moving him on in that and starting ds10 out with it. But, they both have some "gaps" of early spelling rules, so we are trying out the Apples daily drill book. It can be done independently, but with MW, I sometimes have to dictate words, so I just need to schedule that while I'm not with the other.

I'm hoping it won't be overkill, since the Apples is only suppose to take only a few minutes. Guess we'll see......:tongue_smilie:

Blessings,

Kim

I think your schedule looks fantastic! THe only think I might say is that if you have reluctant readers, you could try beginning the day with literature or history to break it up a bit. I like to break up the reading and table time. Let us know how it goes!

Blessings,

Kim

Kim

Here is our working routine I say working because we are in our 2nd week of the new year and the first week was not at all common, you can look here if you are curious and we only utilized teh schedule on day but did school 4 days last week.

I use TOG but as I said it was in a very lite manner, we do not do the writing or all the literature, we typically do 2-3 books per unit (my 9th grader does 3 and the younger do 2 each unit). Kim what are the ages of your kids? My kids started to be able to work independent for large blocks of time in about 4th grade, it has so helped. This is the first year I put together a "schedule" like this.

I hope it helps

blessings

lori