Menu

SOTW Vol. 1 Quick Question

pbt1294

We have a "pockets" edition of Usborne :tongue_smilie: It could literally fit in my pocket. I decided IMO there is no point getting a "proper" version of it, because the non-fiction Read Alouds and the Docos pretty much cover everything, and even the eldest can't sit still enough for a "proper" encylopedia (i tried the usborne archaeology one (her favourite subject next to egyptians) and she couldn't sit still enough for that lol. The Pockets edition has 1 or 2 nice simple blurbs and a few choice pics for the page that she can ask questions about.

With your kids it depends how they are, both would be great, but just getting the Kingfisher one might be enough if they are happy to sit on your lap, or can pay attention.

I think this is something you should go find and hold in your hands and see what you like better.

Are your younger kids going to read the encyclopedia? Are your olders really going to outline from it?

I wouldn't spend too much until you decide that history encyclopedias really work for your family.

I don't think they work very good for outlines for my olders and have ended up finding other sources for that anyway (often one of the SOTW sections works okay). And my little ones don't usually read or even look at the big encyclopedias very much (and they are way down the list of what anyone wants to listen to for a read aloud and often much of that stuff we just read in story of the world or some other picture book). There are smaller books put out Usborne that are similar to the encyclopdia that my kids much prefer- like Internet Linked Greeks and Roman World.

(Finally, though you probably don't want to hear it- for the older ones, my kids like the DK Difinitive Visual Guide History the best!)

We don't use SOTW but have both KF and Usborne. I really prefer the Usborne, as do all the kids. The KF feels a bit wordy and advanced for most of the kids, though it might be okay for my 11 y.o. this year.

I thinking I need something geared more for the youngers. Something that has some cool pics for them to look at while I read or after I read. My oldest is going to be very busy with her own curr. So I need something to keep the younger ones engaged. Sounds like Usborne may be what I need.

~Kyle

As you have olders, I'd recommend the Kingfisher. We don't even use the Usbourne, since I feel SOTW and picture books are enough for grammar stage.

I agree. We never had the Usborne, just the Kingfisher. We looked at pictures in it sometimes. I used the memory lists in the back for memorywork. But really, we didn't use them much. There are so many good picture books for SOTW1 at the library that that was enough. Now that the kids are getting older, the Kingfisher is perfect for extra reading, and we didn't miss the Usborne one at all with all of the library books.

I thinking I need something geared more for the youngers. Something that has some cool pics for them to look at while I read or after I read. My oldest is going to be very busy with her own curr. So I need something to keep the younger ones engaged. Sounds like Usborne may be what I need.

~Kyle

The internet links from the Usborne one are sometimes pretty cool, too, and that would give your youngers something to do while the older is busy.

I figured I would buy one this year and the other next year and just sort of build up our "library".

So, next question. I'm looking at The Usborne IL Encyclopedia of World History and there seems to be two. I'm assuming one is the updated version. Can you guys tell me which one is the updated version and which one is referenced to in the revised SOTW guide. I would like for my page numbers to match up. :001_smile:

(One has a mask on the front and one has a knight)

Check at your local library if they have them or can bring them in for you to look at. Our library has one set that can never leave, so when we are at the library we spend a few minutes looking over the pages each week.

Bonus: Free! And I don't have to dust them!

I bought a used copy of the Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World to use with my first grader this fall and am happy with it as a supplemental. I like that my kids will grow into it, so-to-speak.

I think that between reading the Story of the World and working through the activity book, we'll just be thumbing through our supplemental book this year anyway.