Menu

Frustrated: regarding summer camp and sunburn

My son started his first week of summer camp at a local private school. Each of the boys is taking three weeks, and it's pricey -- 265 a week. Let me preface this by saying I'm not holding the people there responsible, but I am frustrated.

The first day, I shared my concern about the fact that my son has sunscreen packed, but I doubt he would remember on his own. I asked if there was something I should do. I was told they would handle it. The camps are open for kids 5-18 and runs from 9-3.

It is a theatre camp, and I wasn't sure how much outside activity was involved. Today, when I picked him up, he was very burned on face and arms. I reminded Ben again about the sunscreen, but I'm sending a note for him to give to his teacher.

Thanks for listening.

Hmmmm - I wonder how much time they are spending outside? I don't know why they wouldn't just plan in a sunscreen opportunity - but I suppose it only takes 1 forgetful group leader (and I'm afraid I've been that person, on a smaller non-pay scale!).

I volunteered at Cub Scout camp, and I made sure to try and ask the parents if they had done sunscreen when they dropped off kids. If parents left before I got a chance, I asked the kids and assumed they answered truthfully (older boys here). After lunch, I did a quick re-do on everyone before we headed back out.

Honestly, if you don't actually schedule it in - it is hard to remember!! Things get all out of whack & rushed...

When you drop him off, do you sign him in with the instructor or does he just hop out of the car and go on his own? If you go in, I'd probably talk to his instructor/group leader at drop-off and show them the burn. It might stick in their mind a little easier.

Also, if you have any sunscreen that's not greasy/smelly, I'd put it on his face and arms in the morning, so that even if he forgets, he has some protection. A baseball hat would help too.

We've had a few camp burns here too.

I would put it on before he goes in the morning and then send it and remind him to put it on at lunch. My oldest is that way and I know that I worry less when I have at least put sunscreen on him in the morning.

I think i'd just put it on before camp, and then stick it in the lunch bag with a reminder to do it again at lunch. They very well could be reminding everyone who may or may not comply.

Lunch box! Why didn't I think of that? I put it in his backpack with swim gear and towel. There's an indoor pool with swim time. He will see it at lunch time. Brilliant!

My 11 year old is in camp this week, too, and I don't even let him get in the car to go until he slathers himself with sunscreen. No way will he remember to do it once he is at camp and excited to be with his buddies! I still send it along just in case, but it is "put it on or don't go" around here! ;)

When you drop him off, do you sign him in with the instructor or does he just hop out of the car and go on his own? If you go in, I'd probably talk to his instructor/group leader at drop-off and show them the burn. It might stick in their mind a little easier.

Also, if you have any sunscreen that's not greasy/smelly, I'd put it on his face and arms in the morning, so that even if he forgets, he has some protection. A baseball hat would help too.

We've had a few camp burns here too.

We drive up, and volunteers sort of lead the way as they exit the vehicles.

Yes, I will put it on in the morning now that I know they spend time outside. :)

Our local camps require that the parents put on sunscreen before they drop off the kids at camp. I guess there was a problem a couple of years ago with some kids getting very burnt. Of course that doesn't solve the problem of needing to reapply.

That is how Cub Scout camp always was for us. Parents apply in the morning. Those not staying left it for the kids to reapply when told to do so. We were not allowed to apply it to children who were not our own, but could remind the kids to do so. This was per BSA regulation.

Yes - slather the kids up before you leave, so the stuff has time to soak in/activate or whatever it does. Can you imagine trying to corral a passel of kids into applying sunscreen when you have other activities to get to? I think the best you can hope for is the comp folks to remind kids to reapply it themselves once or twice during the day.

Perhaps the pain of a sunburn will help remind the kid to use the sunscreen.

I think even a theater camp will try and have some outside time - maybe doing some acting stuff outside? - it is summer, after all, and they figure kids NEED some outside time.

As the mother of redheads, this is a major pet peeve. To be effective, sunscreen has to be applied way more than twice during an outside camp day. Burns are terrible and imo tans are not much better. A tan means the body is detecting damage already done and is trying to protect against more damage.

Yes, my fault for not putting sunscreen on at 8:15. I will do so now. I doubt it would still be effective at 1:00 pm. That's why I asked whether they'd be outside and how the sunscreen would be handled. We are redheads. Ben has brown hair but our skin. :(

Plus, I put the sunscreen in his lunch box. Now I just have to hope he gets all the spots. I'm starting to feel like it would have been best to have kept him home.

What is a theater camp doing outside?

I just ran a theater camp and we spent at least an hour a day outside and one whole day outside doing theater games and performing scenes in a park. So, I don't think it's totally bizarre or anything.