Menu

How much of a text to cover?

I'm looking at several science texts for next year, and there is no way we can finish the ones I like best. We'll have to pick and choose (sort of like what the Apologia text has done, just not Apologia). How much of a text must we complete to consider it "enough" for a credit?

We're using DIVE with the BJU test. It's all scheduled out and there's no problem finishing in 32 weeks, including time to study for each of the 4 quarterly exams.

Here's what I like about DIVE:

1) I didn't have to buy the Teacher Editions for BJU since DIVE has their own worksheets, quizzes and tests and all of the answers are provided. DIVE + Textbook was much more cost effective than Textbook + TE + Tests + Answer Key.

2) The lectures are excellent and completely related to the reading. Every week DD15 is telling me about her reading and what she's learning from the lecture. This is great, except during lunch. :)

3) Lectures are only once per week for about 30 minutes so DD doesn't have to watch one every day.

4) All of the labs are demonstrated.

5) The schedule is easy to follow.

Just a suggestion......

Ann

As I understand this, the answer depends a bit on what kind of text you have.

Texts intended for use in schools tend to include a lot more information than would be required for a single class. The idea is that teachers (or school districts) will pick and choose the chapters or sections to cover their syllabi.

However, texts published specifically for homeschoolers tend to be more focused and are intended to be used cover to cover.

I can't remember where, but I read a rule of thumb some years ago that covering something like 80% (a number I may possibly have just made up -- Sorry!) of a school-type text would be credit worthy.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that the handbook for NARHS (an organization that offers diplomas to homeschoolers) says that you have to read the entire book to claim credit.

And, of course, it depends on whether the text is all you're using for a certain subject. For example, one class I'm planning for my son next year makes use of sections of three different books.

I don't think there's a hard and fast answer.

Generally speaking, homeschoolers are not bound by public school regulations, but we can make good use of them. If you can find a copy of your state's standards for Biology, print it out and use that as a checklist as you pick and choose which sections of which chapters to include.

I can't remember where, but I read a rule of thumb some years ago that covering something like 80% (a number I may possibly have just made up -- Sorry!) of a school-type text would be credit worthy.

I believe I have read 75%, but I also don't remember when or where.

So at least two people are making up similar numbers. ;)

I don't think it is a certain percentage, per se. When we used Miller and Levine I decided that the course would be focused on modern biology, so we only did the chapters pertaining to that (biochemistry, cell biology, respiration/photosynthesis, evolution), essentially everything but the classification and human body stuff. But we did other things besides just read the book and do the questions.

I used Miller Levine and we did the entire book. My not all that sciency ds made it without breaking a sweat and got all As on the tests provide by the publisher. So, you don't HAVE to cut to make it through in a year.

That said, M/L Biology is used in all the ps districts in the area for both Biology and Honors Biology. The honors classes do the whole book, the standard Biology classes cut, I'm not sure how much or what, but it makes me confident you don't have to get through it all to be credit worthy.

I'm not planning on it, I was strongly thinking of the Labpaq science lab that has been recommended by some here.
After I posted this, I hopped right over and bought the Home Illustrated Guide to Biology Experiments, and will likely buy their lab kit soon. This is me, swinging around! (And driving myself crazy, lol)

All courses and textbooks are selective in what of the possible material they cover, even the "standard" textbooks. So in a sense, all selections are somewhat arbitrary, and it is perfectly possible to select different material according to different goals and to design a course that uses only a part of a textbook.

I teach physics for a living, and my philosophy for non-majors is to rather teach less material and have them understand it really, really well instead of aiming at covering the complete textbook and hoping that something is going to stick.

I can imagine a biology course that focuses heavily on microbiology and completely leaves out ecology (which is nowadays included in most standard books), or a course with a focus on ecology and a lighter treatment of classification, or a course with a heavy focus on organisms and botany and zoology at the expense of other topics. Each can be a legitimate choice. I do not find rules like "you must cover 75% of the textbook for one credit" particularly useful: just look at how different "standard" textbooks can be in scope and sequence and size.

Thank for you the reminder about the Kolbe plans! Even in the overall schedule they cut a few chapters, which makes the whole thing much more doable. Did you use the lab CD they mention in the plans?

I used the Kolbe honors lesson plan with my dd, and although we bought the lab CD, we never used it. She looked at it once and didn't care for it. We used the Lappaq BK-1 lab kit and lined that up with the text.

She did end up reading the whole text.

Thanks for sharing that you were able to use the whole text. As I look more closely at the two books, Miller-Levine is larger than BJU, but it's so much easier to read and understand that I think we might be able to cover it all.

Miller-Levine is larger than BJU, but it's so much easier to read and understand

:iagree:

This is it exactly. M/L is a very readable student friendly book. I don't want to make it sound light, it isn't. I do think it is less dense than some though.

• 1 month later...
Not that this matters, but this is not true. The PA law does not say anything about any credits and their worth. It is up to the supervisor/parent to determine credits.

I'm sure you are right about parents and supervisors ultimately determining credits for independent homeschoolers. However, to get one of the state's "approved" high school diplomas, finishing 2/3 of a textbook can suffice. The is from the Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Association website. http://www.phaa.org/forms/yearchek.pdf?042912