Menu

? about MCP Plaid Phonics B and C

eloquacious

Are they really significantly different/more challenging than A? My son will be finishing A this December, and I'd like to do something similar. We are sitting on all the ETC workbooks, but somehow... I'm just not feeling them. Maybe he would, I don't know, but half the time I find the pictures indecipherable. I was thinking we'd continue with B, but since his reading is already way ahead of this and we're using it more for review/ practice writing words, I was wondering if we should skip B and go to C.

The previews on Christianbook and other web sites aren't all that helpful, as they show the first few pages (the phonemic awareness sections) and frankly those look identical in all three books (A, B, and C).

Are they really significantly different/more challenging than A? My son will be finishing A this December, and I'd like to do something similar. We are sitting on all the ETC workbooks, but somehow... I'm just not feeling them. Maybe he would, I don't know, but half the time I find the pictures indecipherable. I was thinking we'd continue with B, but since his reading is already way ahead of this and we're using it more for review/ practice writing words, I was wondering if we should skip B and go to C.

The previews on Christianbook and other web sites aren't all that helpful, as they show the first few pages (the phonemic awareness sections) and frankly those look identical in all three books (A, B, and C).

Good question... we're doing MCP K with DD this year. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. :bigear:

I do agree that the pictures in ETC aren't great. I often have to tell DS what they are. That said, I prefer the books to MCP (we have used both). The pictures are better in MCP for sure. My main problem with the book (MCP A) was that it skipped around so much. It was very spiral. There wasn't enough in there to master anything and it frustrated DS5. I guess they probably reviewed those things later, but it just really upset DS so we switched to ETC. I don't LOVE ETC, but I do prefer it to MCP.

Oh, don't get me wrong, for mastery I think ETC is superior, provided you can explain the little pictures. At first I was disappointed in MCP because of what you mentioned, but then I put it aside for half a year, since my son wasn't ready to write yet... and now that he is, I don't want him bogged down with working on one concept for weeks, and I find the MCP approach ideal for reviewing some concepts while (let's face it) really just practicing writing words before his true "spelling" curriculum begins. ;)

That being said, I did find some better sample pages on a website called Learning Things, at least for book B, so I went ahead and ordered that.

I am holding on to the ETC books. I may have son #1 do the upper ones orally and save them for son #2 to write in, depending on how his reading/writing works out. If he reads far ahead of being able to write, as #1 did, I may just have him skip ETC, as well.