Menu

a friend just got demoted - wants to know options

A friend of mine went out on maternity leave and returned back to work yesterday. She was informed that while she was out they found a lot of "mistakes" and they were going to demote her and cut her pay by $10k. She's been at her job for 8 years and was just totally floored by all of this. Obviously if she were making "mistakes" they would have realized them over the past 8 years at some point! She thinks the company is just looking to save money because she makes good money for her position.

She doesn't want to take the job they're offering her, but she's afraid if she doesn't take it they'll fire her and she won't get unemployment. She'd still get unemployment, right? Or can they refuse it because she refused a position? Does it matter which state it is (not sure if each state's laws are different).

Any advice I can give her?

She needs to talk to an atty or her local dept of labor. She shouldn't sign anything. If she has a union, she should contact them right away.

Tell her to get as much as possible in writing. Send emails asking for 'clarification' etc and then keep those emails.

This is classic, just classic.

She needs to talk to an atty or her local dept of labor. She shouldn't sign anything. If she has a union, she should contact them right away.

Tell her to get as much as possible in writing. Send emails asking for 'clarification' etc and then keep those emails.

:iagree:

She also needs to get copies of any performance evaluations done.

I'd point her to the NAPW's webpage on employment issues (and discrimination against pregnant women/people with family responsibilities). They also include specifics for New York state. I know there are those who have issues with the NAPW, but when it comes to supporting mothers in the workplace, particularly as it intersects with pregnancy, they really are top notch. You can find it over here. They also include suggestions for finding pro-bono help.