Menu

New to Logic - recommendations for 6th grader

lillehei

We have never done logic and now that my dd 11 is in the logic stage, I feel she should have lessons in it. I don't want it to be too long or too hard. I have never been taught logic and I am scared I won't know how to help her so I think I would need something with a teacher manual. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Jen

Well, you could start with some informal logic, to make an easy start. We did the "logic liftoff" series. It is three books, each increasing in difficulty. We did all three books in a year.

Next year, 7th grade, we will be using the book Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek. It has a teacher's book.

I'm using a variety of things with my son. He's using the Logic Liftoff series and some CTC books (Building Thinking Skills, Mindbenders). I also bought Fallacy Detective for this year. He isn't going to use all this stuff at the same time or on the same day. He'll spend 30 minutes a day on logic in 7th grade. I think we'll continue this route until 9th grade and then we'll try Traditional Logic from Memoria Press.

Lisa