Menu

MIA: Exhausted and need to vent LONG- sorry

I'm sure no one remembers me around here, because it's been almost a year since I have been around WTM, but I used to post all the time and adored homeschooling. Lots has happened around my place. For starters, my husband of 8 years and I divorced. We needed to get away for awhile, so we moved to another state, but the kids' father and I are sharing custody. It's complicated. We have plans to be in the same state within a year (he is supposed to be moving due to job issues). If he moves I will be moving where he is because I want the kids to have access to both parents regularly. Anyways, all of that is pretty much just BG.

I obviously had to go back to work full time and now I am missing homeschooling SO MUCH. My kids miss it, too. Maybe not all of them, but for sure my oldest. I would homeschool the kids still, but then who would watch them while I have to work? It just simply won't work and now I'm mourning the loss of what was. It could never be that again, because I could never go back to that, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Anyways, I just had to vent and I wanted to say "hi". I'll be hanging out around here dreaming.:D

I am sorry for your disappointment.

I do know many single mothers who home school, it really can be done, but probably not now, when you know you will be moving and you don't have anyone to stay with your children while you work.

One friend of mine home schooled living off child support in a two bedroom apartment and the local food bank. She was too uncomfortable with the idea of her son who had learning disabilities in public school. I would have hated to take food from the food bank when I could work, but I do understand her decision.

Another friend watches a baby while homeschooling and does some after school daycare. Between those two things she gets by. In the summer when her kids spend six weeks at their dad's house she waits tables on weekends too.

My dental assistant works full time while homeschooling because her kids use switched on schoolhouse and she checks on them a few times during the day.

Those are just some things that work for some people, but I wanted to share a little inspiration.

I am sorry for your disappointment.

I do know many single mothers who home school, it really can be done, but probably not now, when you know you will be moving and you don't have anyone to stay with your children while you work.

One friend of mine home schooled living off child support in a two bedroom apartment and the local food bank. She was too uncomfortable with the idea of her son who had learning disabilities in public school. I would have hated to take food from the food bank when I could work, but I do understand her decision.

Another friend watches a baby while homeschooling and does some after school daycare. Between those two things she gets by. In the summer when her kids spend six weeks at their dad's house she waits tables on weekends too.

My dental assistant works full time while homeschooling because her kids use switched on schoolhouse and she checks on them a few times during the day.

Those are just some things that work for some people, but I wanted to share a little inspiration.

I very much appreciate the inspiration! I could use it. I've been thinking about ways that I could be self-employed and do things such as personal grocery shopping, ebay selling, etc. so that I could stay home. My 3 kids and I are living off of about $1400 a month right now, and it is REALLY hard but we are surviving. So, I wouldn't have to make that much doing outside stuff to make what I'm making full-time right now.

It sounds like you've been trough a lot this past year but that you have a plan of action to move forward. I hope your future is wonderful.

If homeschooling is something you would like to try to do when the kids are older (from your siggy it looks like they are K,1st, 2nd maybe 3rd grade age). You could try to bank what you can with homeschooling being a goal. When they are in late elementary Middle school age homeschool (when they are more independent and able to stay home alone for short periods of time). I have a friend of mine, a fellow nurse. Who works fulltime. She works a 16 hour shift on Friday and Saturday and a 12 hour shift on Sunday at a nursing home while her kids are with their father. She then homeschools during the week.

Best of luck with the future.

:grouphug: Sorry about what you've been going through. :grouphug:

Thank you.

It sounds like you've been trough a lot this past year but that you have a plan of action to move forward. I hope your future is wonderful.

THANK YOU

If homeschooling is something you would like to try to do when the kids are older (from your siggy it looks like they are K,1st, 2nd maybe 3rd grade age). You could try to bank what you can with homeschooling being a goal. When they are in late elementary Middle school age homeschool (when they are more independent and able to stay home alone for short periods of time). I have a friend of mine, a fellow nurse. Who works fulltime. She works a 16 hour shift on Friday and Saturday and a 12 hour shift on Sunday at a nursing home while her kids are with their father. She then homeschools during the week.

Best of luck with the future.

Thank you so much for the ideas. I am currently going to school to go into the medical field. I thought that I may be able to do some 12 hour shifts and end up with more time devoted to the kids. Thank you. I appreciate all of the ideas.

So sorry. I got divorced when my son was 6, so right around the age of your oldest. It was SO hard to let go of the idea of homeschooling....so hard to know he missed his father, just hard hard hard. But....it was the best decision I ever made. My life is 100 percent better now, it really is. It took time, and it was hard, but my life is amazing now.

Hugs....and I hope you get to amazing sooner rather than later.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sorry for all the upheaval in your life. I hope that once things get settled that you can find a groove that works for all of you.

Me, too. Lol Thank you!

So sorry you are going through this. :grouphug:

Thank you. I knew that I would find support here.

So sorry. I got divorced when my son was 6, so right around the age of your oldest. It was SO hard to let go of the idea of homeschooling....so hard to know he missed his father, just hard hard hard. But....it was the best decision I ever made. My life is 100 percent better now, it really is. It took time, and it was hard, but my life is amazing now.

Hugs....and I hope you get to amazing sooner rather than later.

My oldest was 6, too when it happened. Turned 7 right after. Your words are extremely encouraging. Thank you. :grouphug: it is hard for them to miss their parent. My heart breaks for them for all that they have been through and are still going through.

:grouphug: :crying:

I am new here so I don't remember you. But I am still sorry for you. That is my worst nightmare....the big D. So many people are going through it right now (both my sisters). And I see how hard it is to start your whole life over again. I really hope that you try to still homeschool and work.

The only advice I have is maybe you could find a good homeschool group (if you aren't already part of one) in your area (wherever that may end up being). Then see if their is a highschool student (who wants to be a teacher when they graduate) that could help with the homeschooling of the kids. I am sure you are paying, or will have to pay for some kind of child care, so why not have it be in your home-with someone you trust-who can help you keep homeschooling?

I'm sure no one remembers me around here, because it's been almost a year since I have been around WTM, but I used to post all the time and adored homeschooling. Lots has happened around my place. For starters, my husband of 8 years and I divorced. We needed to get away for awhile, so we moved to another state, but the kids' father and I are sharing custody. It's complicated. We have plans to be in the same state within a year (he is supposed to be moving due to job issues). If he moves I will be moving where he is because I want the kids to have access to both parents regularly. Anyways, all of that is pretty much just BG.

I obviously had to go back to work full time and now I am missing homeschooling SO MUCH. My kids miss it, too. Maybe not all of them, but for sure my oldest. I would homeschool the kids still, but then who would watch them while I have to work? It just simply won't work and now I'm mourning the loss of what was. It could never be that again, because I could never go back to that, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Anyways, I just had to vent and I wanted to say "hi". I'll be hanging out around here dreaming.:D

Thank you so much for the ideas. I am currently going to school to go into the medical field. I thought that I may be able to do some 12 hour shifts and end up with more time devoted to the kids. Thank you. I appreciate all of the ideas.

This could be possible. My mother is a nurse in a nursing home and she's had a variety of different schedules but one of her schedules was two 16 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday with another small shift one evening a week where she came in and did a little paperwork. Granted, on Monday she was totally exhausted but she had all week off. :) So you never know what kind of weird schedule you might find that would allow you to be at home a lot.

I'm sorry things have been rough and I hope they work out to the best for you. :)

So sorry, Julie. :grouphug:

Ack! I hate it when I lose threads. Thank you.

Hey, I remember you, too! I am so sorry for all that you are going through. Wishing you the best through these hard times, and will look forward to "seeing" you around here again. :grouphug:

:seeya:

Thank you!

:grouphug: :crying:

I am new here so I don't remember you. But I am still sorry for you. That is my worst nightmare....the big D. So many people are going through it right now (both my sisters). And I see how hard it is to start your whole life over again. I really hope that you try to still homeschool and work.

The only advice I have is maybe you could find a good homeschool group (if you aren't already part of one) in your area (wherever that may end up being). Then see if their is a highschool student (who wants to be a teacher when they graduate) that could help with the homeschooling of the kids. I am sure you are paying, or will have to pay for some kind of child care, so why not have it be in your home-with someone you trust-who can help you keep homeschooling?

VERY good idea to look for a local hs group. Thank you.

This could be possible. My mother is a nurse in a nursing home and she's had a variety of different schedules but one of her schedules was two 16 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday with another small shift one evening a week where she came in and did a little paperwork. Granted, on Monday she was totally exhausted but she had all week off. :) So you never know what kind of weird schedule you might find that would allow you to be at home a lot.

I'm sorry things have been rough and I hope they work out to the best for you. :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement. It's truly appreciated.