Menu

I'm angry, someone broke into my office

We have purchased a home and are in the middle of the zoning process to turn it into our new office. We have gutted and finished it out on the inside and out. Someone broke in, backed up a trailer and loaded up approximately $4000 worth of carpet, tools and equipment, the new stove top, the refrigerator, shelving, light fixtures and faucets, the dang LIGHT BULBS, some serving dishes I had in the kitchen, and much more. We lose air units and appliances a lot, we are used to it because we build, sell and manage a lot of property. This was just so MUCH! I figure we lost about $10,000 worth of stuff and our contractor doing the actual refurb lost more than that in tools and equipment. Insurance does not cover theft of contents when the house is vacant.

I am gobsmacked. I was just angry all day yesterday. My husband, after a good long run in the heat, proclaimed that the only way to cope with anger is to just get out there and sell a lot, make some money, and build more business. We will use it for fuel, he says. :) That's why I married him.

We are scouring craigslist and when our stuff pops up, we will see it. I think there is a disconnect, sometimes people see a business and they see unlimited resources? Insurance coverage? I don't know, this actually comes out of my family's income. It is the money we use to pay tuition for college, buy books, pay for vehicles and food, our mortgage... I'm just sad, I guess, and when we figure out who did it I will be even more sad. I think it is someone who has worked for us out there.

I'm sorry - that really stinks. I know it's a long shot, but I hope you (or the police) catch the person who did this and you get your things back. I've had a few things stolen which turned up at pawn shops within a week. Hope you catch a break. :grouphug:

We have purchased a home and are in the middle of the zoning process to turn it into our new office. We have gutted and finished it out on the inside and out. Someone broke in, backed up a trailer and loaded up approximately $4000 worth of carpet, tools and equipment, the new stove top, the refrigerator, shelving, light fixtures and faucets, the dang LIGHT BULBS, some serving dishes I had in the kitchen, and much more. We lose air units and appliances a lot, we are used to it because we build, sell and manage a lot of property. This was just so MUCH! I figure we lost about $10,000 worth of stuff and our contractor doing the actual refurb lost more than that in tools and equipment. Insurance does not cover theft of contents when the house is vacant.

I am gobsmacked. I was just angry all day yesterday. My husband, after a good long run in the heat, proclaimed that the only way to cope with anger is to just get out there and sell a lot, make some money, and build more business. We will use it for fuel, he says. :) That's why I married him.

We are scouring craigslist and when our stuff pops up, we will see it. I think there is a disconnect, sometimes people see a business and they see unlimited resources? Insurance coverage? I don't know, this actually comes out of my family's income. It is the money we use to pay tuition for college, buy books, pay for vehicles and food, our mortgage... I'm just sad, I guess, and when we figure out who did it I will be even more sad. I think it is someone who has worked for us out there.

GRRR!!! I'd be hopping mad as well. I think you're right about the disconnect thing. I think those people console themselves with the thought that insurance will pay...but they are usually too stupid or uninformed to understand anything about running a business.

GRRR!!! I'd be hopping mad as well. I think you're right about the disconnect thing. I think those people console themselves with the thought that insurance will pay...but they are usually too stupid or uninformed to understand anything about running a business.

:iagree:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You all are so sweet. :) Thanks for all the empathy. I could not get my vein in my forehead to stop throbbing all day yesterday, I could feel my pulse in my eyeball! That lasted all day long! Karma is ugly and I think it'll haunt someone, probably already is haunting them. I don't think happy people steal. We are busting our butts to make a go of all of this, NO days off for a very long time for my husband and we work very hard. We sat and had a beer on our way home last night from both of our late appointments and decided we are going to work hard to make sure we don't stay mad about it. It really is just fuel for more energy.

I am so sorry. We have been having a lot of break-ins like that here. At least our legislature finally did something about it and just made it so much harder to sell stolen metal to scrap yards. I know you aren't talking just about stolen metal but we have been having all sorts of supplies stolen from businesses. I would be furious. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry. We have been having a lot of break-ins like that here. At least our legislature finally did something about it and just made it so much harder to sell stolen metal to scrap yards. I know you aren't talking just about stolen metal but we have been having all sorts of supplies stolen from businesses. I would be furious. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We need better laws here. They even took the covers off the electric boxes in the garage. Honestly, what the heck! I can't believe the brand new air units are still there, I have a feeling they are coming back for them.

Wow. WOWOWOW. That is some cojones.

Though you can't be reimbursed, can you still call the cops and report it? When it comes up on Craig's list can you notify them?

You both are dealing with this well. Good things will come from it. :grouphug:

Thanks! Yep, cops called, crime reported. I hung around a little while yesterday while they looked at the mess. I have a feeling the contractor who lost his tools will be hunting for them harder than we are. Pawn shop owners around here are good guys, some are clients/friends of ours. We'll be watching...

:grouphug::grouphug:

I hope everything is recovered. A miracle, I know...but one can hope.

My husband has been a contractor for 30ish years. We know well what a hit this can be. Sadly, many of the times he was ripped off, it was from people he was trying to help out of poverty by teaching them his trade and giving them a job. They figured they would take a shortcut and make money by hocking his tools.

I completely understand your anger. Completely.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I hope everything is recovered. A miracle, I know...but one can hope.

My husband has been a contractor for 30ish years. We know well what a hit this can be. Sadly, many of the times he was ripped off, it was from people he was trying to help out of poverty by teaching them his trade and giving them a job. They figured they would take a shortcut and make money by hocking his tools.

I completely understand your anger. Completely.

I don't know how contractors keep up with anything. Had we had a locked trailer out there I'm sure it would have been stolen, too!

I'm so sorry to hear this! What a tough thing for your family to endure.

I know around here as the economy worsens, the thieves grow more brazen. There are certain security features you can set up (for future use, sadly) that might scare a thief off, or alert you if something was going on. Anything from cameras, to wired doors/windows, to pressure sensitive things that can be hidden under a rug, that would go off if someone snuck in after you activated it.

Given the magnitude of your loss, it might be worth looking into.

Ugh. What a downer!

:grouphug:

Thanks, Trish! We hadn't installed the alarm because we had so many people coming and going and working. We are convinced it was someone who had worked on it because they new our combo for the lock and came in through the door then broke a window from the inside to make it look like they came in that way. Evidently there were no geniuses among them. :001_huh: we have a car wash with cameras we monitor all the time and alarms on every other thing we have, should have had one there!

I am so sorry this happened to you.

When this happened to us, I called the local lawn shops "shopping" for some of the items stolen from us that were a bit special or unusual. After a few phone calls, I was told that, yes they did have what I was looking for, but that it was in the legal holding period and they could not sell it to me yet. I called the police and they went to the pawn shop and positively id'd our items. The thieves were convicted, and most of our items were returned to us.

I know you said you knew a lot of the local pawn shop owners/managers. I wonder if this would work for you if the thieves drove to the next county?

I'm just sad, I guess, and when we figure out who did it I will be even more sad. I think it is someone who has worked for us out there.

This is truly sad and would make me angry too. Any chance the police will find some leads, neighbors, witnesses, license plates?

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. Have you considered a shaming/dam.ing letter to the editor? Going public with a news article & newspaper story? Detailed itemised list so that even if they tried to sell it no one would want it?