Menu

If your dd has an AG doll

Does the AG doll come on holidays with you? How about weekend trips? I'm not talking about places like Gramma's or family but rather places like hotels, Disneyland, cross country flights, the beach, hiking, camping, boating, whatever could possibly come up. :)

My instinct wants me to have the kids leave their AG dolls at home where they'll be safe and not get damaged, not to mention, I need all the room I can get in the vehicle for other stuff. :tongue_smilie: On the flip side, I think they would really enjoy having at least one of their dolls along for the memories and fun of it. I just don't want to end my vacation with a trip to the doll hospital :glare: or worse, have a child reduced to tears because they lost their beloved in the crowds or dropped her in a pool. :w00t:

What says the Hive?

ETA: I should add my kids are not asking to take their dolls. I think they would prefer to leave them safe at home, or at least, they probably think *I* would prefer it so the thought hasn't occurred to them. ;) I'm wondering if I should suggest that they bring them along? Or maybe just wait and see if they ask? My kids love their dolls but they don't take them everywhere they go or sleep with them (the dolls sleep in their own beds on a shelf across their rooms).

Edited by plain jane

ours stay at home. i don't need anything else to keep track of in an unfamiliar environment, and i want them to be free to fully participate in whatever comes along, and i am NOT doll-sitting while they do something that otherwise i could be a part of.

each child gets one blanket, one pillow, one teddy/bunny/stuffed lovie, one backpack of things to do (art supplies, cards, barbies/ponies/pollypockets, yo-yos, frisbees, ds), into which the teddy must fit, and one carry-on size suitcase/duffel. we have found the blanket and pillow make all the difference in how much sleep everyone gets, which makes holidays way more fun. they also turn a car or plane into a familiar space, and when they were younger that was worth everything.

fwiw,

ann

Meg takes one doll with a couple changes of outfits with us on each trip. The doll does not come with us on outings. Meg is very responsible with her doll, but I'm more worried about it getting stolen! So, dolls stay in the hotel and wait for us to come back. The best thing about taking them to Disney is the Mousekeepers always arrange her stuffed animals and dolls in fun ways - like they've had adventures while we were out!

One of my dds takes hers everywhere. If we are going camping though, it stays in the car. I don't want it in a tent all day while we are out or getting dirty. If we go somewhere in a hotel/motel, we will likely leave it in a room, not take it out and about.

One of my dds takes her Our Generation doll more than her AG just because her AG is discontinued (Elizabeth) and she doesn't want anything to happen to her. But the other takes her beloved Kit just about everywhere.

They do come on some trips (like to our beach vacation in NC), but they stay indoors. I don't think I'd let them bring the dolls camping or anything, and if they come on trips, I'd say they'd have to stay in the house/hotel room. But otherwise, I do allow it, and I prepare them for potential consequences.

If they haven't asked, though, don't suggest it! :tongue_smilie:

DD generally takes hers along, but they often stay in the car. It depends on the activity we're doing. I want her to have her hands free to explore, and nobody wants to be spending too much time/attention on the dolls. When we went to Williamsburg, the dolls came along, in their colonial outfits (that's the large part of the fun for her, dressing them in period clothing), but they stayed at the hotel. I actually can't think of a day trip out where she brought the dolls and they didn't stay in the car.

ETA: I am of the opinion that the dolls should be played with and enjoyed, even if that means they don't remain in pristine condition. But I also want DD to respect them as a nice toy that doesn't get dragged everywhere, especially places that could be particularly dirty/messy.

We go in waves. Many times we will bring one on vacation, but not bring it places like a theme park or a museum. She keeps guard of our hotel room or car ! The American Girls here do like to visit the local American Girl store though. :D

My daughter bought McKenna for her 8th birthday a couple weeks ago with some birthday money, and then got her matching outfit this weekend at a family birthday party. Let's just say McKenna has been everywhere the past few days!

Molly went everywhere with us, but dd was always very, very good about keeping the doll with her at all times, and most of our vacations have been trips to visit relatives, so no chance of leaving her in a hotel. (The doll, not the dd!) Actually, it became a bit if a joke that Molly had a better wardrobe when on vacation than we did. :lol: The only time we stayed overnight in a hotel with the doll was in NYC, and we stayed at the NY Palace, so Molly got her own bed, and a trip to the AG store to pick out even more new clothes, so there was no chance of leaving her behind there!

I think it depends on how much time a child will spend with the doll. Dd spent hours and hours dressing the doll and fixing her hair, accessories, etc..., but again, these were family trips, so she needed something to keep her occupied while the long-winded adults chatted. We'd never have taken her to an amusement park, mall, theater, etc... where there is plenty of other stuff to do.

Ours went almost everywhere with us. Not trips to the library/grocery store, but to grandparents, on vacations, etc. I have friends who treat their AG like collectibles--don't let their girls play with the dolls' hair, don't let them take them out of the house, etc. but I just never understood that mentality. My dd loved her AGs and played and played with them. We definitely got our money's worth in play value with those dolls!

My dd took her AG doll everywhere. Ev.er.y.where.

It was not in super-mint condition by the time she outgrew the doll, but it was still decent-looking and had been on many adventures. :)

My dd has lovely memories of playing with her dolls. Aw...I have lovely memories of playing with her dolls. I miss the dolly days. :crying: ~sniff~

Cat

ours stay at home. i don't need anything else to keep track of in an unfamiliar environment, and i want them to be free to fully participate in whatever comes along, and i am NOT doll-sitting while they do something that otherwise i could be a part of.

ETA: I am of the opinion that the dolls should be played with and enjoyed, even if that means they don't remain in pristine condition. But I also want DD to respect them as a nice toy that doesn't get dragged everywhere, especially places that could be particularly dirty/messy.

:iagree:

Meg takes one doll with a couple changes of outfits with us on each trip. The doll does not come with us on outings. Meg is very responsible with her doll, but I'm more worried about it getting stolen! So, dolls stay in the hotel and wait for us to come back. The best thing about taking them to Disney is the Mousekeepers always arrange her stuffed animals and dolls in fun ways - like they've had adventures while we were out!

:iagree: My daughter is older than Jennifer's, but she has always brought her doll (sometimes 2, if it's a longer trip, but that's the limit) and a change of clothes or two. They stay in the hotel for things like amusement parks, but have gone out to eat and to museums on occasion. We did take a doll to Disney, but stayed off site so no Mousekeepers to arrange them for us.

Draggy (DD's stuffed dragon and prize possession since she was under a year old) goes anywhere we're going to spend the night. Kaya goes along when DD needs someone to watch Draggy-which usually means any time that she is likely to have someone to play dolls with :). When we go to the AG store, Kaya AND Draggy go with us :). Kaya and Draggy also go to any cheer competition or dance recital-dressed to cheer or dance.

My daughter is beyond it now, but yes, at the height of the American Girl phase, "Sarah" went everywhere with us.

She and my daughter used to get matching pajamas and outfits for Christmas. The time I took them to Chicago, they got matching outfits for each day of the trip. (I made the clothes, so it wasn't too expensive.)

They used to get matching Halloween costumes, too.

In fact, for a time my son took his boy doll everywhere with him, too. And "Jack" got matching outfits (and pajamas and costumes), as well.

Let's see if I can dig up a couple of photos . . .

My daughter is beyond it now, but yes, at the height of the American Girl phase, "Sarah" went everywhere with us.

She and my daughter used to get matching pajamas and outfits for Christmas. The time I took them to Chicago, they got matching outfits for each day of the trip. (I made the clothes, so it wasn't too expensive.)

In fact, for a time my son took his boy doll everywhere with him, too. And "Jack" got matching outfits (and pajamas and costumes), as well.

Oh my goodness!!!! How ADORABLE!!!! I'm SO temped to check Etsy for matching outfits for Meg and her Bitty for our upcoming trip!!!!!

Great photos, Jenny. Thanks for digging them out!