Menu

What are your favorite NON historical fiction books

Phantom Tollbooth. I would read it aloud every year before school if ds would let me.

I read this aloud to my 4th grade class (a looooong time ago:)) and they loved it. Excellent choice.

ETA: I also read them The Toothpaste Millionaire and The 21 Balloons - great hits!

Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan, if you're looking for a just-for-fun read! The Applewhites are a homeschooling family who take in a juvenile delinquent. :) I should check it out from the library again.

I haven't heard of this one. My son loved the Moody Series (Summer with the Moodys, Autumn with the Moodys, etc.) and would probably love this story.

Thanks,

Dorothy

I read this aloud to my 4th grade class (a looooong time ago:)) and they loved it. Excellent choice.

ETA: I also read them The Toothpaste Millionaire and The 21 Balloons - great hits!

We have 21 balloons but haven't read it yet, I will give it a try. We loved Toothpaste Millionaire!

The Tale of Despereaux (diCamillo)

The Real Thief (Steig) -- a short read, but one of my all-time favorites

The Hobbit (Tolkien)

Five Children and It (Nesbit)

The Hundred Dresses (Estes)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg)

Swallows and Amazons (Ransome)

I guess there is no need to mention Harry Potter (I so adore them!) or the Narnia books, Tale of Despereaux and Peter and the Starcatcher are seconded here, my daughter adored the Spiderwick books, as well as The Chronicles of Prydain, and The Golden Compass and the rest of that series. Also, she hasn't read it yet, but my dd loves dragons, and I've heard great things about How to Train Your Dragon (Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III), so we're going to try that soon.