Menu

GA residents please???

I was told recently that if my dd does Algebra 1 in 8th grade, that she will have to do all the way through Calculus in HS because she will have to do 4 years higher level math. Is that true? Math is my dd's least favorite subject, although she makes good grades. I don't see her desiring to do anything after high school that will require her to go that far in math. I want to change plans now and repeat 6th grade math using another publisher to put her back on track to do Algebra 1 in 9th grade if this is true.

I know I'm thinking ahead, but I'm a planner!

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

As of the upcoming school year, Georgia begins requiring 4 years of high school math (also 3 years of foreign language and/or fine arts and 4 years of science). The 4 years of math does NOT necessarily have to include calculus. Also, math taken in middle school may count towards the new requirement. Here is a link that explains some of this:

Georgia Graduation Rule Revision

Another thing to keep in mind is that as a homeschooler, you are NOT bound by Georgia's public school graduation requirements. Unless your child will be receiving a diploma through a state-funded school, the only high school coursework she will be required to complete is what is required for admission to the college she will attend.

Are these the requirements to be eligible for the Hope Scholarship, or would that just depend on the college's requirements also?

What is going to happen about the math changes to Math I, II, III, and IV? I'm wondering about the public school students. If a person transferred in with Algebra 1, where would they place them? Would they put them in Math II?

That just seems really complicated to me. But why should I expect the school system to make any sense anyway?

Thanks for the help.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

My daughter did Algebra I in 8th grade and followed that up with Geometry, Algebra II, and then College Algebra and Trig at the community college this year. While she is quite good at math, she has little love for the subject. This coming year for 12th, she'll be doing AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers rather than going the Calculus route.

If she's ready for Algebra I in 8th, I'd go with it. She may hit a stumbling block as she goes along in which case you have the option of doing math at a more leisurely pace.

Alternatively, you might wish to slow the pace by taking a year to go through Jacobs' Math: A Human Endeavor at some point during the high school years.

Regards,

Kareni