Menu

Is anybody else still schooling full steam ahead?

How are you schooling over the summer?  

1. 1. How are you schooling over the summer?

• Just math/reading.
    • Special subjects not done during the regular school year.

ETA: I totally messed the poll up. Forgot to add the rest of the options. Any way for me to fix this? Please disregard it for now.

I know that a lot of hs'ers on these boards follow a more traditional schooling schedule and take most/all of summertime off. Or just do math/reading/whatever during the summer. Or continue schooling during the summer, but with completely different materials than during the regular school year/doing "special" or "fun" school-type stuff that they don't get to during the school year. Or school lightly over the summer.

There's nothing wrong with this. I'm just sorta lonely. We're still schooling full steam ahead. Our schedule is a bit rearranged (so the bulk of our schooling is done during the hottest hours of the day), and we're a tiny bit more relaxed, but essentially it's just like the regular school year for us. Does anyone else still full-blown hs over the summer?

Adding a poll.

Edited by SuperDad

We school year-round. We do take time off now & then, mainly holidays & our birthdays. Summer can be a bit difficult because so many people want us to do stuff with them. The kids may take a few three day weekends, but we don't do an actual 'summer break.' Besides, our 'school year' has never started the same time ps does. My youngest (ET2) is just about 2 months into the 2012-2013 school year. My eldest's (ET1) school year is running a bit long, and it's looking like ET1's '2012-2013' school year may not be starting until January 2013.

My daughters, 14 and 16, are in the midst of summer swim season. We keep a year-round schedule of studies, but the schedule is lighter through mid August and particularly light (generally just math, lit, Spanish) during the seven weeks of early morning practice and crazy meet schedules.

Full steam so far, but no stoking. Subjects with levels/texts near completion will not progress to the next level until September. DD the Elder will be at one or another camp half of July and August, so there seems to be little point to her starting anything new. I'm doing a science intensive with her sister, but otherwise nothing new.

Full-steam ahead at our house!

We school year-round from January to December, so are officially halfway through our school year.

I actually prefer to school harder during the summer so we can kick back in the spring and fall when the weather draws us outside. It is 103 or so degrees here today.

We went to the pool early this morning, then came home and did a full day of school while the air conditioner hummed away.

The option of "full steam ahead" wasn't in the poll!

Full timers here. We take four days off in October for a big science event for the county that dh and I put through 4-H, then the day before and after Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, the entire week of TARC (competitive rocketry) Finals in May, and then two weeks of June and two weeks of July off. However, this year the kids will be involved with the Student Launch Initiative and SLI requires 200-300 hrs. of committment or it will if they make their dream rocket come true. So, since the two high schoolers are going to be attempting 8 credits a piece and I may be traveling to Brazil for a week with Dh this winter, we need to keep going. The only break the boys will get this summer is the week of county fair when I have a big science fair to run for 4-H and dh will be in Huntsville taking his SLI training. However, I'm only doing math on Mondays so they have a little breather since the weekends have been hectice. Thuesday - Thursday, everything. We need to get a jump on next year's curriculum and ACT prep.

Faith

We are full steam ahead here. :D We had a international move this pass winter, extra house guest and well...we fell behind. We will school until December 15th full time except for two 1 week breaks. One for summer, one for fall. Then one month off and we start 10th grade.

We took off most of January, all of March and most of April. And we just took off most of June, though partly for a grand educational project (I was running a two week Shakespeare camp that culminated in a performance of Midsummer Night's Dream). Considering all that, we really have to school regular schedule all summer. Which is fine. I like the flexibility. I do feel a bit like everyone in my life is being judgmental about it though, like I'm being a mean mama not allowing summer fun or something. Sigh.

We school full time through the month of September & October. Starting in November we take 1 week off per month. So, we are still schooling all subjects until the end of July. Then I'll take the month of August off for lesson planning.

We're still schooling full steam ahead. Our schedule is a bit rearranged (so the bulk of our schooling is done during the hottest hours of the day), and we're a tiny bit more relaxed, but essentially it's just like the regular school year for us. Does anyone else still full-blown hs over the summer?

summer is our best homeschooling time. we homeschool full out, as it is Very, Very Hot here in the summer, and we can't be outside after 8am, or before about 7pm. this allows us to take several (3-4) two-week breaks during the year. we use these to survive tech weeks and performance weeks for violin and dance. it works for us, but it is hard when everyone around us is goofing off.

hth,

ann

We are running at 95% here! We do pretty much just continue everything we do during the traditional school year during the summer, just during the afternoon when it is too blasted hot to be out. I say only 95% because we take more weeks off for summer camps, etc than we do during the other months.

We were going to do our summer schedule BUT then we had some opportunities fall into our laps so the month of July will be summer break with only math, free reading and writing daily. August we will add back assigned reading, read alouds, nature study, and science with the above. I am missing most of my kids in July so that's why. August we are at 2 single parent family camps and the kids are gone for a week so our official full start up will be the same as the public school kids. It seems every year I plan to power through and every year we end up taking a break longer than I first planned because of cool opportunities