Menu

I'm looking for a book... I need an easy read, appealing to teen girls, but...

- The Hiding Place (tenBoom) -- Christian; true story; powerful; inspiring; life-changing

- Christie (Marshall) -- Christian values; a little romance

- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hunard) -- Christian allegory; inspiring

- Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin) -- not by a Christian author, but very *powerful* and Christian-type imagery of being freed from the powers of darkness

- The Light Princess (MacDonald) -- a sort of fairytale with a little romance; very clear Christian theme of self sacrifice/death/resurrection

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis) -- his most complex work; fascinating retelling of the Cupid & Psyche myth with Christian themes; be sure to listen to Peter Kreeft's insights into the book

Edited by Lori D.

Joni by Joni Eareckson Tada? It's a true story about how she is paralyzed in a diving accident and has to deal with anger, doubting God, and depression as she makes her way to a significantly deeper faith and a new perspective on life and her disability. There is some romance as she and her friends struggle to accept the reality of how difficult it would be to marry under the circumstances, but she doesn't marry - it's a "friends ever after" type of thing. Eventually, she does marry, but that story isn't part of this particular book, which tells her life from 17 to about 25, I think. The plot is basically a chronological retelling of her life as a quadriplegic from the accident to acceptance to ministry (she speaks all over the world). Overall, it reminds me of that song "Blessings" by Laura Story.

The book may or may not be life-changing, as that will depend on the individual. It certainly is encouraging, though, and it has a strong Christian perspective IF YOU READ IT ALL. You have to get through the doubting and depression parts, which may be a little disturbing, but they may also be reassuring to a young person struggling with doubt that they aren't the only ones. She's very open about her sinfulness, and she eventually realizes that even her thought life needs to be turned over to God.

HTH!

- The Light Princess (MacDonald) -- a sort of fairytale with a little romance; very clear Christian theme of self sacrifice/death/resurrection

I love this suggestion, get the version with Maurice Sendak's illustrations.

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis) -- his most complex work; fascinating retelling of the Cupid & Psyche myth with Christian themes; be sure to listen to Peter Kreeft's insights into the book

This is what I was going to suggest. It is not super light and it won't be blatantly obvious that it has a Christian world view, but a really interesting read.

And weirdly enough I had just looked Kreft up today to look at his ethics works.

The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser and it's sequel, The Dwelling Place. Do I remember that you are in Georgia? These center around the Paris plane crash that killed the Atlanta Arts Association members in 1962. Elizabeth Musser is a Christian writer who grew up in Atlanta and is now a missionary in France. She also has a trilogy about the Algerian war for independence. Only two have been published in English. The third should be available the fall. The first one is called Two Crosses.

They are a little twaddle-ish, but The Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, etc series sound exactly like what you are looking for. Christian viewpoint, slightly romantic, and thought-provoking but not blatantly so.

EK absolutely ADORED the Christy Miller books! She read and reread them, so I put the first in the series, Summer Promise, on SJ's and HV's summer reading list. :)

- The Hiding Place (tenBoom) -- Christian; true story; powerful; inspiring; life-changing

- Christie (Marshall) -- Christian values; a little romance

- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hunard) -- Christian allegory; inspiring

- Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin) -- not by a Christian author, but very *powerful* and Christian-type imagery of being freed from the powers of darkness

We're going to read The Hiding Place during the school year, but I do like the other choices for some good summer reading.

Joni by Joni Eareckson Tada? It's a true story about how she is paralyzed in a diving accident and has to deal with anger, doubting God, and depression as she makes her way to a significantly deeper faith and a new perspective on life and her disability. There is some romance as she and her friends struggle to accept the reality of how difficult it would be to marry under the circumstances, but she doesn't marry - it's a "friends ever after" type of thing. Eventually, she does marry, but that story isn't part of this particular book, which tells her life from 17 to about 25, I think. The plot is basically a chronological retelling of her life as a quadriplegic from the accident to acceptance to ministry (she speaks all over the world). Overall, it reminds me of that song "Blessings" by Laura Story.

The book may or may not be life-changing, as that will depend on the individual. It certainly is encouraging, though, and it has a strong Christian perspective IF YOU READ IT ALL. You have to get through the doubting and depression parts, which may be a little disturbing, but they may also be reassuring to a young person struggling with doubt that they aren't the only ones. She's very open about her sinfulness, and she eventually realizes that even her thought life needs to be turned over to God.

HTH!

I read this book a LONG time ago, and you're right--you DO have to read all the way to the end.

The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser and it's sequel, The Dwelling Place. Do I remember that you are in Georgia? These center around the Paris plane crash that killed the Atlanta Arts Association members in 1962. Elizabeth Musser is a Christian writer who grew up in Atlanta and is now a missionary in France. She also has a trilogy about the Algerian war for independence. Only two have been published in English. The third should be available the fall. The first one is called Two Crosses.

Yes, I'm in Georgia. I don't remember ever hearing about that plane crash! :001_huh: I'll definitely check out Elizabeth Musser's books. Thanks!

Your dd sounds like mine! I'm enjoying this thread and gleaning from the suggestions.

I have to second 'Til We Have Faces. My dd read that last year. I read it along with her, and we talked about it very casually. She told me this year that she still thinks about that book. I had no idea until then that the book had impacted her like that. I knew she liked the book, but I didn't know she ever gave it a second thought.

Both my oldest dd's read Christie, but my second oldest really enjoyed this book. She was mad at the ending, but we talked about it, and the more we discussed it, she decided that she actually liked the ending. A few days later she told me that she would like to help people someday like Christie did.

You never know which books will impact which kids!