Menu

The school threat

I just told my kids that I want to send them to school so that I don't have to put up with their behavior anymore.

They obviously think that I have nothing better to do with my life than put up with their crap.

:grouphug: I've mad that threat, to one specific kid. :grouphug:

BTDT :grouphug:

I expelled one of mine last winter - gave her the option of reapplying to my homeschool in writing (including an apology), or enrolling at the local ps. Luckily she chose to reapply (and that letter is filed away for her graduation party ;) ).

I expelled one of mine last winter - gave her the option of reapplying to my homeschool in writing (including an apology), or enrolling at the local ps. Luckily she chose to reapply (and that letter is filed away for her graduation party ;) ).

Love it!

I'm so filing that away for future use!

What a GREAT idea! I am going to use that in the future.

I don't use that one because they would know it is an empty threat. But I totally get the impulse! We've all been there. :grouphug::grouphug:

Ditto. I can't bring myself to make it because every threat I make, I intend to follow through on. And that one, I wouldn't. But some people would and I totally get that.

I like the idea of threatening summer camp though! But my kids would love that and it would cost too much!

I love this!

I don't necessarily threaten, but I do tell them that they can do the work with me or do it in a regular school. They always straighten up.

When my oldest was in grade 4, I was so DONE with his behavior that I called the school superintendent and we saw her that afternoon. My dc were so scared that I was going to put them in school THAT DAY! I finally calmed them down and told them we were just meeting to TALK.

Because of that pleasant meeting, I learned about the flexibility to enroll my dc in one or more classes at the school. In grade 5, older ds learned/played saxophone; gr. 6-7 he played clarinet in the school band. It was a good experience for him. It was a pain for me and younger ds to take him to school for one class but in grade 6, band was the last class of the day so he took the bus home 4x/week.

I didn't say I was *going* to put them in school. I said I *wanted* to and that is a statement of truth on days like today.

I asked them if they really thought I didn't have anything better to do with my days than to deal with their behavior. I actually made them answer.

I really need some hot tea! But with no running water I have to walk out to the well for water. :glare:

Oh wait! I have a freezer full of ice cubes. :D Gonna melt me some ice cubes for tea.

I really need some hot tea! But with no running water I have to walk out to the well for water. :glare:

Oh wait! I have a freezer full of ice cubes. :D Gonna melt me some ice cubes for tea.

:lol::lol: I can't be the only one thinking it. Right?

I use that "threat" regularly. Except it's not really a threat, it's a statement of fact. You must be educated until you are 18. You can either cooperate with homeschooling or you can be enrolled at the local public school. Those are the choices, pick one!

Now that Trinqueta's older, other girls her age complain about school and she doesn't want to be stuck there for 8 hours a day, so it usually works quickly. Geezle sometimes fantasizes about school until I explain the actual schedule involved in attending middle school and the ban on taking toys. That puts an end to attitude pdq.

Since GW does attend private school, they know I'd do it if they want to go.

I just told my kids that I want to send them to school so that I don't have to put up with their behavior anymore.

They obviously think that I have nothing better to do with my life than put up with their crap.

One of mine took me up on it. Things got no better.

Find a different threat. :tongue_smilie:

I think it depends on the age. At age 6, my DD would have said "OK", because most of what she heard from her friends was how wonderful school was and how they got to do things like Pajama Day and so on. In fact, we ended up setting up our spare bedroom (that I'd intended to turn into a library/homeschooling closet) to look like what DD thought a school should be, with mascots, classroom themes, bulletin boards with student work, and so on because she was so intent on going to a "real" school.

Now, a year later, she's starting to have friends come to our house and say "Lucky! I WISH I was homeschooled", especially those friends who are a little older than she is (those who've finished 2nd or 3rd grade vs those who have finished K or 1st). Her cousin, who will be in 5th this year, does about 3/4 of the "you want to be homeschooled, honest" job for me, because she has SO many complaints about school.

I also think that group testing once a year helps. After 3 days of having to wake up early and sit in a classroom and fill out papers for a few hours, even with breaks and snacks, DD has NO desire to do that every...single...day!

Oh, man. I actually spent 30 minutes online figuring out how to register that one child, how to apply for a TNT transfer, get into a magnet school, or make our zoned school with below-average test scores work out. I even called the school.

It's beyond threat. I didn't even threaten today. Threats are so last year.

I'm giving it a four week trial starting July 2.

If I can't turn into an uber patient teacher or the child can't make some kind of effort, things have to change.

I also spent a hour or so imagining what life would be like if I signed up all 6 for public school. I imagined what it would be like to sign up the 4 younger and just homeschool the 6th and 8th grader. And I did all this while organizing all the books I purchased for the upcoming school year.

Perhaps it is time i admit failure.

Oh, man. I actually spent 30 minutes online figuring out how to register that one child, how to apply for a TNT transfer, get into a magnet school, or make our zoned school with below-average test scores work out. I even called the school.

If I can't turn into an uber patient teacher or the child can't make some kind of effort, things have to change.

I also spent a hour or so imagining what life would be like if I signed up all 6 for public school. I imagined what it would be like to sign up the 4 younger and just homeschool the 6th and 8th grader. And I did all this while organizing all the books I purchased for the upcoming school year.

:grouphug: That sounds very familiar. Here though they then become totally repentant, I calm down, and things roll along smoothly for a while. Until the next time ...

It's very, very hard to live through.

I'm keeping that in mind..

I've threatened it on impulse but my kids know it's an empty threat.

I love this!

I don't necessarily threaten, but I do tell them that they can do the work with me or do it in a regular school. They always straighten up.

This is how I word it. He either has to do school with me or he has to go to school...get up early in the morning.....and go all day....every day....with no computer time....with only 30 minutes for lunch....and no tv...

He still vaguely remembers his time in early intervention so knows I'm telling the truth. He likes our 2 to 3 hours of school a day with lots of breaks and down time.

I can't use that threat - my DD WANTS to go to public school :glare: Last time I used it she said -"Yay can we go buy a uniform and lunch box right now" :lol:

She HATES the idea of homework though -she thinks it is the biggest injustice ever - so I threaten to send her to "the school that has three hours of homework every night" ;) -she smartens right up :D

Yep, this is how I feel with this particular child. I honestly don't know if I can home school him because the strain on our relationship is to the breaking point.