Menu

Peak with Books

happycc

We picked this up at Christmas. I do not have lesson plans or print outs. The activities in the book don't really need them as far as I can see. You spend a week on a book doing various activities. Many of the activities work best in a class setting or a classroom (with bulletin boards and what not). They are good activities, but just not structured in a way that I can go fro working with the younger to having her work independently while I work with olders and then come back to her later. I don't know. We only did three books and then decided it just wasn't for us.

Edited by Targhee

I used this, successfully, with ds when he was in K. I'm doing it again with dd this fall. To me, it was a pick-up and go program. You just follow the directions, have craft and art supplies ready, and go with it. Ds was not crafty and hands-on, but I know dd is!

as I won't be able to do the program with him alone. I will be utilizing his older sisters to help while I work individually with the other ones. I will probably type out the what I want them to do with him or ask him on task cards or index cards.

It sure would be nice to find some kind of curriculum that I can ask an older sibling around 8yrs and 10yrs old to kind of interact with him so I can focus on WWE, FLL and AAS, Rightstart with three different kids.

How does one weave in a preschooler who no longer takes naps?

Anyways it would be nice to have a some kind of worksheet printout based on the activities of the book to hand to sister to do with him.

I haven't seen units written up for it but I've read Before Five in a Row and it go together quite nicely. They share many of the same books. There are a ton of units available free online for Before Five in a Row. I have bought both Peak and BFIAR to do with my son this year.

http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/LiteratureBasedPrintables.html

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/before_five_in_a_row_resources.php

http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/curriculum/preschool.aspx

I used PWB this year with my 4 year old. I didn't do a lot of the activities since some of them require some writing and reading skills he hadn't developed yet. But i read the book and asked the questions and did the poem/fingerplay and one extra activity.

I'm using it again using MBTP schedule for it for his K-year. They say preschool, but I think a lot of the extra activities are more appropriate for K and young 1st grade.

I also expect that my older ds and even my 2 year old will help with any activities where they can.

ETA: there are 42 book units (42 weeks)---I trimmed it down to 36--I just went through and crossed off the 6 books that I thought we could do without. I also plan on tweaking some of it to fit a home environment instead of a classroom. I've always kind of secretly wanted a bulletin board though :)

Edited by Walking-Iris

Or at least for my son.....

So can anyone help me find something more for the 3yrs old level literature based. I found something called Readitagain or something like. Any try that one.

Also I found Bugs to Bunnies. I think that "might" work for him.

Or at least for my son.....

So can anyone help me find something more for the 3yrs old level literature based. I found something called Readitagain or something like. Any try that one.

Also I found Bugs to Bunnies. I think that "might" work for him.

I don't know about the two you mentioned, but have you seen the Itty Bitty Bookworm program? You have to pay for the curriculum, but there are many free sample lessons to try.

Here is the link:

http://www.ittybittybookworm.com/?catID=14351

Peak with books-what does Moving Beyond the Page recommend about it? What are their plans/ideas/adaptations with that book?

I'm using Peak with Books next year with my K'er. MBTP breaks down which part of the activities to do on what day of the week and groups the books together to give you suggested themes. I was able to find all of this from the link mentioned by a pp. It was actually quite helpful for planning, so thanks! It saved me lots of time! :001_smile:

Other than that, they do not adapt the book in any way that I could tell.