Menu

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

allie911

This is probably not extremely helpful, but we bought the program last year. It sat on the shelf with me wanting to use it, but never working it in to our schedule. It's basically made of three components: 1) the philosophy behind it as presented in the beginning of the book and on DVD if you buy the CD/DVD set, 2) a schedule for reciting the poems each day/every day, and 3) a selection of poems organized into four levels

I bought the program because it was all laid out for me - I didn't have to search for poems and set up a schedule. I had already heard the Nurting Compotent Communicators talk at a homeschool convention, which I liked very much, but didn't need. What I also wanted was an independent task for DC to do. I will have to report back on that front, after we finally start dng it.

The poems a varied in length, complexity, and time period in which they were written.

I know this isn't yust what you asked for. I hope it might be helpful though :001_smile:

We used it and loved it. We would do Bible passages instead of poems for every other page. The kids (college age) still recite them and have gone on to research other poems by their favorite authors. They continue to memorize and have said that the practice of memorization has help with foreign lang. and science classes. I believe it helped them increase their vocabulary and learn proper language patterns which has helped them to write well.

Is this mostly just a list and CD of poems to memorize or is there discussion and related questions, teaching materials??? All I hear about it has to do with the memorization. Thanks!

Targhee described it quite well in her post above. In addition to what she listed, there's a BRIEF biography of some of the poets. However, there are no discussion and related questions, and it doesn't teach ABOUT poetry (e.g. meter or form). It's a no-frills program.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious -- does he give any advice about teaching elocution? Not "elocutio" as a part of composition; just the art of speaking clearly and elegantly.

There used to be an understanding that this was part of the reason for having children recite poetry. Some people seem to have gone overboard with formal rules for elocution in the past. But over the last century, things have gone in the opposite direction, to the point that it's hard to find much information about it at all.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious -- does he give any advice about teaching elocution? Not "elocutio" as a part of composition; just the art of speaking clearly and elegantly.

There used to be an understanding that this was part of the reason for having children recite poetry. Some people seem to have gone overboard with formal rules for elocution in the past. But over the last century, things have gone in the opposite direction, to the point that it's hard to find much information about it at all.

No, he doesn't. If you don't purchase the CDs you are free to annuciate/inflect/etc as you see fit. If you get the CDs then you get to listen to how Mr. Pudewa does it.

I love that it starts out with short, silly poems. They kind of hook the kids into enoying poetry right off the bat. My 2yo can even recite half a dozen poems just from hearing them over and over again. It cracks me up to hear her say Ooey Gooey in her little tiny voice.

You can get by without the CD, but I love having it. The kids pick up on which words should be emphasized and often recite the poem in the same manner as Andrew Pudewa. It's especially nice to just pop the Cd in if I need 5 or 10 ministers to finish prepping for the day while the kids start school work.

I can't quote at this point, but no, there is no teaching on elocution or poetry analysis. I believe the seminar that Andrew Pudewa teaches about poetry memorization (nurturing competent communicators?) is a free download on IEWs website. I'll come back in the morning and link it up if no one else does before then. That seminar will give you the "why" behind the program.

It's a great program. My kids have memorized the poems in levels 1 and 2 and then we kind of slacked off last year because we were so busy and I really regret it. I'm hoping to do a little review of levels 1 and 2 this year and then move onto level 3 this year. I think the younger you start with them the better because they get such a kick out of it in the elementary years. In 2nd and 3rd grade, my dd loved to recite her poems and was so proud. She told everyone poetry was her favorite subject.

Lisa

I absolutely agree with the theory behind it but because I didnt have the money for it this year we are doing our own thing using some poems from Favorite Poems Old and New. My kids have memorized 8 poems so far and we started around Easter time (Easter Day was their first poem:)). The kids love it and I am very impressed with their memories!

I splurged and got it this summer to start using in fall. I didn't get the CD, though. I need to be reading more poetry for the boys over morning tea and not relying on the audio.

Here's the funny part, though. I actually did this in K and first grade and didn't know it. I would pick a poem and we would work on it every day. Then I'd pick a second poem. Usually we were working on two stanza stuff, but I had them also do some longer work. We then would do cumulative review once we had more than two memorized. By the end of first grade both boys could reel off fifteen poems in a row with great pride.

I slacked off this year, so needed a kick in the tail-feathers. But I don't think you would need a book to do this beyond a good anthology of children's poems, available at almost any library. That said, I enjoyed reading the comparison of the memory work to the Suzuki method for music.

I believe the seminar that Andrew Pudewa teaches about poetry memorization (nurturing competent communicators?) is a free download on IEWs website. I'll come back in the morning and link it up if no one else does before then. That seminar will give you the "why" behind the program.

oops. It looks like the download is only free to those who have purchased programs from IEW before. But here it is for $3.00 if you haven't purchased from IEW before.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious -- does he give any advice about teaching elocution? .

Only by example. My "sloppy mouthed" boy loves to imitate Pudewa. Listening to the CD has made a huge difference in how he understands what pronunciation is because he can HEAR how exact and precise Pudewa is.

We have used it for years- got through all of level 1, most of 2, and selections from 3 -4. A must have imho. Love it. My kids know that it really is possible to memorize vast quantities of information. We went to a 1 room schoolhouse last fall and a 90+ yo man who had been a student there came to speak. He cited poems, songs, latin from when he was a boy- it was terrific! My kids recited many of the poems along with him!

My oldest two completed all of the poems in the book about 2 months ago. It is one of my happiest homeschooling purchases. I am thrilled I get to begin it again with my younger set this year. I love having the CD, as it ensures that it gets done regardless of our schedule. We always had recitations on Fridays, where we would pull a strip of paper out of our "recitation box" and the student has to stand and recite the piece. That is a very enjoyable part of the program for us.

We love it! We have the book and CD.

I read here- I think- about someone that had their kids illustrate the poems. So, after we listen to the current poem and are working on the memorization parts, I will have them draw the poem. It has been a huge success. I had cardstock spiral bound into little notebooks at Office Depot for their drawings. They each designed their cover.

We will continue it this next year.

Sometimes, I feel like I am in the dark ages. I hadn't heard of this before. Does it matter the age or grade of the child starting this. I would love to get this for my two girls. They are 9 and 12. Do you think these ages are to old for this?

AL

What age/grade would you begin?

age 4, or even 3 if they get it. they could certainly listen to the CD at very young with great benefit.

Sometimes, I feel like I am in the dark ages. I hadn't heard of this before. Does it matter the age or grade of the child starting this. I would love to get this for my two girls. They are 9 and 12. Do you think these ages are to old for this?

AL

No. It can easily go through high school. Poetry Outloud competition has several of the IEW selections in their yearly book for competition.

My dd LOVES this program. I wish I had used it with everyone starting when they were little. Dd loves to listen to the CD in the car and recite along with Mr. Pudewa. Tonight she asked her dad, "Do you want to hear me recite all the poems I know?" He, not knowing how very MANY that she knows, said, "Sure!" After about the 10th poem, he was giving me looks like, "Please make her stop!" Ha! He was impressed, however, by what she could recite. :)

There are just a handful that are religious in nature. They either mention God/Him/Lord or make a biblical reference of a person (Abraham) or place (valley of Death).

Level One

My Gift - C. Rossetti

Level Two

Rebecca, Who Slammed Doors for Fun and Perished Miserably - H. Belloc

God and the Soldier - Unknown

Trees - J. Kilmer

The Captain's Daughter- J. Fields

The Charge of the Light Brigade - A. Tennyson

Level Three

A Psalm of Life - H. Longfellow

What I Live For - Unknown

Courage - Sister M. Eulalia, RSM

The Fool's Prayer - E. Sill

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven - W. B. Yeats

The Destruction of Sennacherib - Lord Byron

Levl Four

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle is the Hand that Rules the World - W. Wallace

The Quality of Mercy - W. Shakespeare

God Save the Flag - O. Holmes

Desiderata - M. Ehrmann

Grand Chorus - J. Dryden

Okay, so maybe it looks like a lot (17/76), but most of these only make a mention of something religious. Look up the poems to see for yourself if they are too much. You can always replace them with a different poem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kathleen.

Also, can anyone compare it to A Child's Introduction to Poetry by Michael Driscoll?

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Poetry-Mountains-Battles/dp/1579122825

Thanks.

I have this too. It seems to serve a completely different purpose. It has a cd with all the poems on it, but I never thought to use it for memorizing any of the poems, and it seemed awkward to turn on the cd when I could just read the poems as we were reading all the other text in the book.

The first half of the book focuses on types of poetry--how they evolved,what purpose they serve, etc, along with a few examples of each type of poetry. The second half focuses on particular poets, giving a brief biographical sketch and one or two examples of their poetry. The book has lots of illustrations and boxes with vocabulary words or commentary on the poetry.

IEW's poetry is just a list of poems that start off very short and easy. We've only done level 1, but after the first few short poems, it starts to intersperse some longer poems with several stanzas. In level one, it seems like a long poem with 4 or 5 stanzas is always followed by a one stanza poem, so that young kids won't be too easiliy overwhelmed. The higher levels have more complex selections, but we haven't gotten there yet. For level 5 there are no recordings or text, but it has a list of famous poems or speeches that you may want to memorize. The poetry selections don't follow any particular pattern of author or poetry style, other than the fact that they start out simple and silly and gradually move on to longer, more serious poems.

Not that I recall.

To me, it's just a plan for review (you could copy Simply Charlotte Mason's or make up your own, I don't think his is particularly unique) + a very plain looking collection of poems. It looks homemade. I found nothing unique about his collection.

I sold mine. I'm much happier with a regular collection of poetry that my kids can browse.

I am usually the only one on the thread who has anything but glowing things to say, although Rosie has a copy she'd love to sell to anyone in Australia. :)

Not that I recall.

To me, it's just a plan for review (you could copy Simply Charlotte Mason's or make up your own, I don't think his is particularly unique) + a very plain looking collection of poems. It looks homemade. I found nothing unique about his collection.

Thanks. :) I'm not up for doing my own right now, so I think we'll probably go with The Harp and Laurel Wreath. We have a couple of levels of the Mother of Divine Grace plans that include a schedule for memorizing the poems. (I was thrown for a loop because they're divided by grade level, but really, who cares if my 8 year old learns a poem "rated" for a 7 year old, LOL.)