Menu

How early is too early to be feeling B/H contractions?

She'll probably just have to kind of assess it with info from her provider because it varies so widely. I have always had to wean early if I became pregnant because I had an irritable uterus and sometimes I couldn't get things to settle down. I tried to nurse once to 20 weeks pregnant, but I had so many contractions (and a previous history of prelabor and PROM) that my provider at the time urged me to stop. If I'm not nursing and it was a subsequent pregnancy, I wouldn't often feel them until mid 20 weeks.

I had "irritable uterus" with #2 and wound up needing a terbutalene (sp?) shot at 27 weeks because I was having so many ctx that my OB was concerned that it might trigger premature labor. I wasn't nursing, either. He ended up going full-term FWIW.

Praying for your daughter!

Dd is 16 weeks pg and still nursing 10 1/2 mo dgs. She's been feeling tightening in her belly the last couple days.

How worrisome is this? At what point does it become worrisome?

more than 3 per hour is when you start to wonder if it is an issue. 3 or less and not a problem. Braxton hicks contractions start right away, as soon as you get pregnant. It is just that most people don't notice them until further along.

She should talk to her provider about it. Sometimes they are absolutely nothing--if they are actual Braxton-Hicks, they by definition don't dilate.

I get them from like 11 weeks (seriously) but I also slowly dilate the entire pregnancy. My first provider wrote it off as "irritable uterus." Baby was term but early term. Next provider actually checked (as I get them a LOT, including at regular intervals, sometimes 2 min apart) and I was slowly dilating. They freaked out and gave me meds and bedrest and all that junk. Baby was just barely pre-term. My next provider did a bunch of research into causes of preterm labor, worked on reducing my stress and giving anti-inflammatories, and just letting my body do its work, even if that meant mild ctxs or BH from 11 weeks. Baby was born less than 24 hours from his due date. I just get a head start on the whole labor thing. :lol:

I'm another who had BH contractions from around 16 weeks through the end of my pregnancy. Once was born almost two weeks late, and one was born within a few days of her due date (in either direction depending on who you believe :D). I'd talk to the doc about it, but for me, they meant nothing but annoyance for months.

It's probably worth a call, but probably not anything too terribly concerning.

But likely, with it being summer, plus nursing, plus the pregnancy, plus chasing the baby around, she's likely getting dehydrated, which can cause earlier contractions. I ran into this with my third -- it was hard to keep track of my own intake while chasing the other babies.

I'd recommend that she try to make an effort to get more liquids in and reduce her activity level as much as she can when they happen -- my midwife told me that they were my body's sign that I was trying to do too much.

more than 3 per hour is when you start to wonder if it is an issue. 3 or less and not a problem. Braxton hicks contractions start right away, as soon as you get pregnant. It is just that most people don't notice them until further along.

interesting. I had TONS of cramping the first nine weeks. Since I had 3 losses prior it really freaked me out. They were very painful. It subsided then started the BH at 16 wks. I had very few weeks pain free of my pregnancy!

She needs to have it checked out though it could be just fine. But if they are productive, she'll want to address that. My 3rd pregnancy (2nd child), I went into labor at 19 weeks. It was a miserable pregnancy with tons of medication, bedrest, etc. I didn't make it full term, but I'm glad I have him! He's 17 now :)

The baby was fine, and her urine was fine, but dd wound up refusing the vaginal exam. She has an appt. Tuesday morning with her OB, so she figured as long as the baby was ok, and things didn't get any worse, she'd just wait to be checked further then. She just felt like two vaginal exams in two days wouldn't be good if her uterus was irritable. I tend to agree.

So, she's just gonna rest, drink lots of water (though she usually does anyway), and as long as they don't get worse, we will see dr Tuesday morning.

They don't happen many times a day, but she might have a ten-minute spell where she has almost constant tightening, then nothing for a few hours. We are just gonna be very attentive to them over the next day.

Of course she's worried about the new baby, but the fear of having to wean dgs is worrying her - he is VERY dependent on nursing, and has no other vices (pacifier, thumb, etc). Hopefully all is well!