Menu

dyslexia advice

After many years of arguing and struggling with my homeschooler child, the doctor asked me if she is dyslexic. I looked into it and she does have certain characteristics but my insurance will not cover the full test.

She is 11 now and I changed her curriculum to cover more hands-on curriculum and she learned more in a month than her whole life. We are not AS frustrated with each other and this past year was actually good.

Is there a way to get her tested without spending too much money - as if so, do we work through her issues or would it benefit her to label her as learning disability?

Also, her math, grammar, spelling, reading is where we had much success. If anyone can suggest history and science we still need work!!

Thanks, Kimberly

This is a cut and paste I wrote from another thread.

I may say something controversial but I would start with the school district because they can administer the tests that you would need to see to determine what is going on. If after the tests are administered you could always schedule an appoint with a neuropsych to discuss, and discuss diagnosis. Here are the reasons I suggest this:

1) Going through the school is free

2) You can ask for a WISC-IV, a CTOPP, WIAT-III (a Woodcock-Johnson or another type of achievement test) and a CEF ( I think that is the name...it is one done by an SLP to look at expressive/ receptive language). These are the exact same tests that would be done by a np.

3) With results of those tests in hand you should be able to sort out which professionals to bring into the picture (if there are indeed expressive/ receptive language issues, you would look for an SLP; if you see low scores on CTOPP you begin to remediate for dyslexia)

4) The school can not diagnose. Usually when they administer those tests it is for services....if you want services through the school district that is another thread to ask for opinions from others

5) You can always take the battery of tests results and have a neuropsych review them with you (at a reduced cost or perhaps the neuropsych would suggest testing, etc....but at least you would have some sort of starting point)

I know that others may disagree with me on this strategy-- those have had aberrant testing results through the school, or who have been misled by the school district-- so I would listen for those experiences and decide relative to them. Furthermore, I have not gone this route, but in retrospect I wish we would have (and at the age you are at now....not as an 10 yo).

Likewise, you may wish to just start off with a neuropsych since you will likely get the best and most directed information. However, that can be a very expensive route (we were billed close to 3K, with insurance covering 1/2).

OK-got to run.

Is there a way to get her tested without spending too much money - as if so, do we work through her issues or would it benefit her to label her as learning disability?

I would say both. I would remediate what you can, within the time frame you are willing to spend, but also make sure you do have the label of dyslexia so that you can always receive accommodations as some things (such as processing speed or spelling) that can not be fully remediated.

In a couple of weeks ds will be taking part in THIS. They do a full battery of diagnostic tests (including an IQ test) and we get a full report with clinical feedback. There will be no charge and they'll actually be paying ds $50 a day. I'm not sure where you live but this is in NYC and they're still accepting kids.

Just be informed about what type of testing the school will do exactly. True, their testing is probably better than nothing, but most schools will tell you they do not test for dyslexia. They are testing in a way that will help them place students based on their criteria, curriculum, staffing, etc. You could start there, but you may find you still want to do further testing with a professional (educational psychologist or neuropsychologist). Also, if part of the reason for testing is to document a learning disability in order to get accommodations in the future (public school, SATs, college), check with these institutions to make sure school-based testing "counts". It doesn't always.

If you have a large university nearby, they might do this type of testing in their education department. We had our dc tested at the university by doctoral students, supervised by an educational psychology professor. They were very thorough and it was 1/4 of the cost of a practicing neuropsychologist.

Also, if you want to start with testing for dyslexia specifically (rather than the full battery of tests for LDs in general), go to Susan Barton's website http://www.dys-add.com/, and send them an email asking for a list of certified dyslexia testers in your area. BTW, there is a wealth of info. on her site!

A diagnosis really does help relieve a lot of the frustration during lessons on both sides. Her issues still drive me nuts sometimes, but I remind myself that this is the way her brain works, and we have to accommodate that. It's not her fault, nor is it mine. I hope you can work this our for your daughter and yourself.

I would say both. I would remediate what you can, within the time frame you are willing to spend, but also make sure you do have the label of dyslexia so that you can always receive accommodations as some things (such as processing speed or spelling) that can not be fully remediated.

The thing is, only a neuropsych can give you a label, right? I'm wondering how many neuropsychs would be willing to give a diagnosis and do enough paperwork for accommodations without performing the tests themselves.

Dh is in the field of psychology as well, and to be honest, testing and documentation is how psychologists make a living, and they have to eat too. Not to mention, their reputation and career is on the line based on diagnoses. It could be risky to give out labels based on another's results. I guess I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually gotten a neuropsych to go along with this because my bet is that most would refuse without re-running (and charging) for the full testing.

We went the neuropsych route because through the school the process can take a long time.

For my son's speech testing, he had an initial assessment that determined he needed additional testing. The appointment for that was about 2-3 months away. That test recommended him for speech but to be approved for the program we had to go to a meeting, which was another month or two away. After that approval, we then had to be scheduled by the speech therapist at the school. The process started in October and we were finished in late April. By that point, the school said rather than starting him so late in the year, he'd start the following school year.

I shuddered to think about the time for more intensive testing.

The thing is, only a neuropsych can give you a label, right? I'm wondering how many neuropsychs would be willing to give a diagnosis and do enough paperwork for accommodations without performing the tests themselves.

Dh is in the field of psychology as well, and to be honest, testing and documentation is how psychologists make a living, and they have to eat too. Not to mention, their reputation and career is on the line based on diagnoses. It could be risky to give out labels based on another's results. I guess I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually gotten a neuropsych to go along with this because my bet is that most would refuse without re-running (and charging) for the full testing.

One of the issues in assessment is that evaluators are not out to just generate a number when they do various tests, but they also are observing the child to see how the child approaches the task. They watch to see how the child's engagement with tasks varies. Does the child's engagement vary with the type of task? Has there been change across the the day? Does the child approach the task calmly and confidently, timidly, anxiously? How does he respond to the evaluator's instructions? These sorts of observations are incredibly important to note and reflect on as the evaluator ponders the actual numbers and looks to see what sort of profile is generated. A neuropsychologist who did not observe the child's process in the course of testing is missing some valuable information that may influence the interpretation of the test results.

If a child has had some testing at school and then the parents decide to pursure outside evaluation, of course those test results will be taken into consideration. The np would likely add additional testing from the neuropsych battery but may or may not do additional cognitive ability and/or achievement tests. These tests cannot be administered again for a minimum of 1 year but if the psychologist were to want to do a full battery of his own he/she could choose to do similiar but different tests. For instance, if the school did the WJ-III achievement battery, the private psychologist may choose to give the WIAT-III. Each practitioner has his/her own style and preferences but, in general, yes, they would not be able to issue an opinion without actually working with the child.

I am in Florida and didn't realize that you could use the school testings if I am home schooling. I thought I was completely on my own if home schooling

The mandate for evaluating/identifying a child who may be in need of services comes from federal law- IDEA 2004, in its most recent version. Therefore, the district is obligated to evaluate any child without respect to whether he attends public, private, or homeschool. However, the question of whether a child is eligible to actually have services provided through the school if he/she is not enrolled in a public school is dependent upon state law. Some states allow it, others do not.

A good site to check out if you have any thoughts of approaching your school district is Wrightslaw. Also, you can check out the Special Education section of you local school district and/or the agency your school district is part of (called an ISD or Intermediate School District in our parts) for any information that has been posted about the process.

The mandate for evaluating/identifying a child who may be in need of services comes from federal law- IDEA 2004, in its most recent version. Therefore, the district is obligated to evaluate any child without respect to whether he attends public, private, or homeschool. However, the question of whether a child is eligible to actually have services provided through the school if he/she is not enrolled in a public school is dependent upon state law. Some states allow it, others do not.

A good site to check out if you have any thoughts of approaching your school district is Wrightslaw. Also, you can check out the Special Education section of you local school district and/or the agency your school district is part of (called an ISD or Intermediate School District in our parts) for any information that has been posted about the process.

Our district lady said they only evaluate to find out what classroom accommodations are needed, therefore she couldn't evaluate my dd. (She seemed extremely sorry about that and recommended other routes, but wouldn't evaluate her. This was for severe ADD, not dyslexia.)

I guess I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually gotten a neuropsych to go along with this because my bet is that most would refuse without re-running (and charging) for the full testing.

I think you have a good point. I do know that there are assessors in the area that will do an abbreviated session based on previous testing (whether they did it themselves) and give rec. But whether they would diagnose is a different issue. One can receive accommodations based on a school eval (this is done all the time for ps students; most don't go the route of outside eval for 504/ IEP)

Our district lady said they only evaluate to find out what classroom accommodations are needed, therefore she couldn't evaluate my dd. (She seemed extremely sorry about that and recommended other routes, but wouldn't evaluate her. This was for severe ADD, not dyslexia.)

From everything I have learned, it would appear that your "district lady" is incorrect. The Child Find portion of federal law stipulates that states have an obligation to determine whether any child from birth through age 21 (or high school graduation) may have a disability that is qualified under IDEA 2004. It doesn't matter whether the child is educated in a public school, private school, charter school, or homeschool. If the parents request an evaluation, the district is under obligation to respond based on their assessment of the possibility that the child may qualify, not based on the child's educational placement. See this page on the Wrightslaw site.

There are two parts to the identification process. The first part is the determination of eligibiity for services. The second part is the development of an IEP or 504 Plan to be implemented in the classroom. All students can go through the first part of the process. The second part is generally restricted to students occupying a seat in a public school, unless state law makes more generous provisions.

The best procedure for requesting an evaluation from the district would be to write a letter to the Special Education coordinator for the district. This person's name and information should be available on the district website. The format of the letter can be similar to the sample letter found at the LDOnline website. Scroll down a ways to find it. Send the letter certified/return receipt requested or deliver it in person to the office. Once the letter is in the hands of district personnel, they have a limited number of days to respond to it. If they agree to evaluate your child, you move on to setting dates. If they disagree that the child is in need of evaluation, they are required to respond to you in writing with their reasons for not proceeding with the evaluation (homeschooling as the child's educational placement cannot be a reason) AND to provide you with information on due process so you may appeal their decision if you wish.

In the letter, it is best not to offer your own possible diagnosis but to state that the student is having difficulty with reading, writing, listening, speaking, math and/or paying attention well enough to get full benefit of academic instruction. You might offer one or two examples of greatest difficulty to catch their attention but don't go into significant detail.

It can be an arduous process for anyone who tries to get a school district evaluation, depending on the personalities and culture of a particular district. You may have moved on from having the district involved, but I offer this information for anyone else who may be inclined to give it a try.

Edited by Tokyomarie

You'll have to be careful with the public schools. Most schools do not DIAGNOSE dyslexia. Instead they determine if your child is ELIGIBLE for services. So you may be successful in getting them to do some tests, but it's highly unlikely you'll walk away with a diagnosis. Instead, they'll tell you if your child will qualify for different types of services. Which leads to another problem.

If your child is indeed dyslexic, and does qualify for special ed services, most public schools do not have the resources to properly remediate them. A dyslexic child needs individual (or at least a small group of no more than 2 other children) tutoring in an Orton-Gillingham program. There are exceptions, so it's worth asking, but most PS do not offer this. And there have been many, many parents who fight desperately to get their child into special ed, only to find that it doesn't help them.

The Scottish Rite is a good option, as are Barton screeners (but they won't be free). If you have good insurance, you may be able to get a neuropsychological eval for cheap (believe it or not, I only paid $30), but please ASK before they test. we've been to three NP, and all three said they COULD NOT diagnose dyslexia. They could, however, diagnose a reading disorder, but they could not tell me if it was dyslexia. But I do think some NP will diagnose it.

Many parents learn about dyslexia, become convinced their child has it, and then start tutoring them with an O-G system without a formal diagnosis. If the child is struggling in reading/spelling, and there is a high likelihood that the child is dyslexic (they have many of the warning signs, a close relative has it, and there aren't any other issues going on), an O-G system is highly likely to help that child, with or without a diagnosis.

Here are the warning signs of dyslexia:

http://www.bartonreading.com/pdf/Dys%20warning%20signs.pdf

Here are some informational videos:

http://www.dys-add.com/

Good luck!

we've been to three NP, and all three said they COULD NOT diagnose dyslexia. They could, however, diagnose a reading disorder, but they could not tell me if it was dyslexia. But I do think some NP will diagnose it.

Good old DSM strikes again. Far as I know, dyslexia isn't even *in* the DSM right now, is it? And the last posts someone made about it made it sound like they're not putting it back. Reading Disorder is the label you get.

Google the term "Scottish Rite Learning Center" and see if you can locate one in your area. These people are volunteers and provide dyslexia screening for free to everyone.

eta: http://scottishrite.org/about/philanthropy-scholarships/ritecare-directory/location/florida/#clinicBox

Thank you so much for this! I've been wondering about dyslexia with my dd, and there happens to be one in my town! :off to call: