Menu

Algebra for a Visual-Spatial Learner?

My 11yo DS is a visual learner and I think a Visual-Spatial learner. For K through 2nd grade we used Oak Meadow, which he enjoyed. However, he was getting bored by the slow pace so we moved to other things. For math, we moved to Horizons. We saw it at a homeschool convention and he liked it. However, by the end of the 3rd grade, it brought tears every time the book came out. So, we looked at a friend's Saxon books and my ds liked that. So for the past 3 years we have been using Saxon. We're finishing 8/7 now and once again he is near tears with math. So, now I need to figure out what to use for Algebra this fall. Any suggestions? My ds is easily distracted so anything with blocks/manipulatives probably would not work. We will be using LOF Pre-Algebra with Biology this summer as a break from Saxon, but I do not yet know how it will work..

I would love to hear what has worked for other VSL learners.

TIA,

Kim

My oldest VSL is currently using LoF Algebra combined with Zaccaro's Real World Algebra and Challenging Word Problems (just finishing up book 5). She really likes LoF storyline, illustrations, and relatively few number of problems. Zaccaro's is giving an alternate approach which is always good forthis child. We tried Discovery Math but that was too intense for this child.

I like LoF's built in review. By the end of each book I know that she has thoroughly covered the material.

HTH

Sarah

Hi Kim! I always find thinking through some questions helps me better see the solution, so here are some questions for you, in case that helps you think it through:

What *exactly* DID work about Horizons, and then for Saxon when they did work? Was it the same thing(s), or different for each:

- novelty of a new program?

- incremental, small "bites" of instruction per lesson

- simple, visually uncluttered page layout (Horizons)?

- lots of review of past concepts (Saxon)?

- lots of variety in each lesson (Saxon)?

- use of visual DIVE tutorials? (Saxon)

What *exactly* did not work about Horizons and then about Saxon? Was it the same thing(s), or different for each:

- too slow/fast?

- too much/little review?

- too many steps (too incremental)?

- too many topics per lesson?

- too abstract in presentation? (i.e., just the steps of equations and no visual representation/explanation of *why*)

From your DS's age and your comment that when he was young he was bored by the slow pace of Oak Meadow, it sounds like your DS is naturally math-minded and does well with it. However, Algebra (and the Saxon 8/7 pre-Algebra) is a real move into abstract math topics, and on average, students don't develop the abstract thinking portions of the brain until around age 13-14. So, many advanced math students "hit the wall" trying to advance to the next math book in the progression (Algebra), when they are only 11-12 and aren't quite ready or able to absorb it as quickly and easily as they did all of the previous math concepts.

One possible solution is just to slow down; continue with whatever math program the student has been using and connected with, but slow it way down -- take 2 years to do Saxon Algebra 1, by taking 2 days (or more, if needed) to do each lesson). The average student does Algebra in grade 9; so your DS is quite advanced in math to do Algebra in grade 7; so even if you took 2 years to do Algebra, and finished in grade 8, he would still be ahead of half the students out there.

Another possible solution (and the one I would go with) is to plan on putting Algebra off for a year, and use 7th grade to "solidify and explore" -- solidify the 4 math functions, percents, decimals and fractions and very basic "solving for X" concepts; and explore by trying out some other math programs to see math from various perspectives AND to really develop math-thinking and problem-solving skills. For example, do a fun mix of: Singapore 6A/B; Life of Fred pre-Algebra; Art of Problem Solving; Hands-on Equations; and even some of the Keys to Algebra workbooks. Your DS would still be advanced in math then doing Algebra 1 in grade 8, and more mentally developed and ready for algebra topics.

While I do believe your assessment that DS is a visual learner, possible VSL, I do have to say that it doesn't sound like he has needed that type of instruction for Math, because neither Horizons, and especially Saxon (starting with 5/4) are visual programs. (Saxon becomes increasingly abstract in presentation by the 8/7 and Algebra 1 levels -- it becomes very much about memorization of formulas, picking the right formula and "plug and chug".)

I do have an extremely VSL who does NOT get abstract math topics without a very concrete visual explanation (in the form of manipulatives showing the WHY of the concept). Even using MUS, which is THE most visual/concrete Algebra program I've seen, it was a horrible struggle for him -- and we didn't even attempt Algebra 1 until he was 14yo -- and we had to do it twice (same with Algebra 2).

From your descriptions, your DS does not sound like he needs the concrete visual aspect of manipulatives that VSLs need -- that, in fact they are distracting to him. (Or is it just distracting to have to USE the manipulatives? Does seeing someone else use manipulatives to explain the concept help your DS??) Maybe just seeing a lecture of each lesson, with the demonstration on the whiteboard of the steps of the process would be all your DS needs. If so, then you might look into the visual teaching supplements for Saxon:

- Saxon DIVE tutorials

- Art Reed teaches Saxon math series

- John Saxon's Way DVD Teaching series

Another general video supplement:

- Khan Academy (free online video tutorials)

If you feel switching programs is the way to go, these all have a video lesson component:

- Chalkdust

- Videotext

- Kinetic Textbooks

- Thinkwell

- Teaching Textbooks

- Math-U-See

And if you feel that you want to switch from Saxon because it was too incremental and spread out for your DS, then you might look at a more mastery-based textbook:

- Lials Basic College Math

- Jacobs Algebra

Other (for a fee) visual tutorial helps:

- ALEKS

- Math Relief (http://www.mathrelief.com) = Algebra 1; Algebra 2

- Teaching Tape Technology videos

- Dr. Callahan DVD tutorials = http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/ (these go with the Jacobs Algebra)

- IMACS (AP Calculus Prep)

Once you can narrow down exactly what worked and what didn't, that will very likely give you a clue as what program will be a good match. Again, your DS is young, so you might also want to think about slowing things down or delaying the Algebra for a year to give his brain time to develop in the abstract and logic areas so the Algebra concepts will "click" more quickly and easily for DS.

BEST of luck to you as you work your way to the best solution for your DS! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

My oldest VSL is currently using LoF Algebra combined with Zaccaro's Real World Algebra and Challenging Word Problems (just finishing up book 5). She really likes LoF storyline, illustrations, and relatively few number of problems. Zaccaro's is giving an alternate approach which is always good forthis child. We tried Discovery Math but that was too intense for this child.

I like LoF's built in review. By the end of each book I know that she has thoroughly covered the material.

HTH

Sarah

Thanks Sarah. Maybe we will continue with LOF if the pre-algebra goes well. I already have Zaccaro's Real World Algebra. My son has enjoyed Zaccaro's other books so I think it will be a hit.

Kim

Hi Kim! I always find thinking through some questions helps me better see the solution, so here are some questions for you, in case that helps you think it through:

What *exactly* DID work about Horizons, and then for Saxon when they did work? Was it the same thing(s), or different for each:

- novelty of a new program?

- incremental, small "bites" of instruction per lesson

- simple, visually uncluttered page layout (Horizons)?

- lots of review of past concepts (Saxon)?

- lots of variety in each lesson (Saxon)?

- use of visual DIVE tutorials? (Saxon)

What *exactly* did not work about Horizons and then about Saxon? Was it the same thing(s), or different for each:

- too slow/fast?

- too much/little review?

- too many steps (too incremental)?

- too many topics per lesson?

- too abstract in presentation? (i.e., just the steps of equations and no visual representation/explanation of *why*)

From your DS's age and your comment that when he was young he was bored by the slow pace of Oak Meadow, it sounds like your DS is naturally math-minded and does well with it. However, Algebra (and the Saxon 8/7 pre-Algebra) is a real move into abstract math topics, and on average, students don't develop the abstract thinking portions of the brain until around age 13-14. So, many advanced math students "hit the wall" trying to advance to the next math book in the progression (Algebra), when they are only 11-12 and aren't quite ready or able to absorb it as quickly and easily as they did all of the previous math concepts.

One possible solution is just to slow down; continue with whatever math program the student has been using and connected with, but slow it way down -- take 2 years to do Saxon Algebra 1, by taking 2 days (or more, if needed) to do each lesson). The average student does Algebra in grade 9; so your DS is quite advanced in math to do Algebra in grade 7; so even if you took 2 years to do Algebra, and finished in grade 8, he would still be ahead of half the students out there.

Another possible solution (and the one I would go with) is to plan on putting Algebra off for a year, and use 7th grade to "solidify and explore" -- solidify the 4 math functions, percents, decimals and fractions and very basic "solving for X" concepts; and explore by trying out some other math programs to see math from various perspectives AND to really develop math-thinking and problem-solving skills. For example, do a fun mix of: Singapore 6A/B; Life of Fred pre-Algebra; Art of Problem Solving; Hands-on Equations; and even some of the Keys to Algebra workbooks. Your DS would still be advanced in math then doing Algebra 1 in grade 8, and more mentally developed and ready for algebra topics.

While I do believe your assessment that DS is a visual learner, possible VSL, I do have to say that it doesn't sound like he has needed that type of instruction for Math, because neither Horizons, and especially Saxon (starting with 5/4) are visual programs. (Saxon becomes increasingly abstract in presentation by the 8/7 and Algebra 1 levels -- it becomes very much about memorization of formulas, picking the right formula and "plug and chug".)

I do have an extremely VSL who does NOT get abstract math topics without a very concrete visual explanation (in the form of manipulatives showing the WHY of the concept). Even using MUS, which is THE most visual/concrete Algebra program I've seen, it was a horrible struggle for him -- and we didn't even attempt Algebra 1 until he was 14yo -- and we had to do it twice (same with Algebra 2).

From your descriptions, your DS does not sound like he needs the concrete visual aspect of manipulatives that VSLs need -- that, in fact they are distracting to him. (Or is it just distracting to have to USE the manipulatives? Does seeing someone else use manipulatives to explain the concept help your DS??) Maybe just seeing a lecture of each lesson, with the demonstration on the whiteboard of the steps of the process would be all your DS needs. If so, then you might look into the visual teaching supplements for Saxon:

- Saxon DIVE tutorials

- Art Reed teaches Saxon math series

- John Saxon's Way DVD Teaching series

Another general video supplement:

- Khan Academy (free online video tutorials)

If you feel switching programs is the way to go, these all have a video lesson component:

- Chalkdust

- Videotext

- Kinetic Textbooks

- Thinkwell

- Teaching Textbooks

- Math-U-See

And if you feel that you want to switch from Saxon because it was too incremental and spread out for your DS, then you might look at a more mastery-based textbook:

- Lials Basic College Math

- Jacobs Algebra

Other (for a fee) visual tutorial helps:

- ALEKS

- Math Relief (www.mathrelief.com) = Algebra 1; Algebra 2

- Teaching Tape Technology videos

- Dr. Callahan DVD tutorials = http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/ (these go with the Jacobs Algebra)

- IMACS (AP Calculus Prep)

Once you can narrow down exactly what worked and what didn't, that will very likely give you a clue as what program will be a good match. Again, your DS is young, so you might also want to think about slowing things down or delaying the Algebra for a year to give his brain time to develop in the abstract and logic areas so the Algebra concepts will "click" more quickly and easily for DS.

BEST of luck to you as you work your way to the best solution for your DS! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Wow! Thanks for taking time for such an in-depth reply. You have given me a lot to think about. My son has always done so well in math and caught on quickly. He can usually do mental math very quickly and give the right answer, even if he has a hard time showing or explaining all of the details. Suddenly everything is a struggle. Maybe he just isn't ready for more advanced concepts.

Kim

My VSL has been working through Math Mammoth at a slower pace over the last 3 years. It is the best that I have found for him. Next year, I decided to skip MM6 and start in with AOPS pre-algebra. I am cautiously optimistic that he will thrive with it. He still does not know his multiplication tables, and we have been drilling them FOR YEARS! However, I was amazed at how easily he learned fractions this year. He can find common denominators, work the problem, and convert to a proper fraction all effortlessly in his head. And yes, that requires multiplication. :lol: I think the fact that he needs to see the whole picture before he starts, instead of learning one piece at a time will be an asset in AOPS.