Menu

The Read Aloud that Never Ended . . .

ByGrace3

Have you ever had one of those? Life gets away from you, summer, vacations, VBS, just regular life craziness, and before you know it, months have passed and you still.have.not.finished.it. :o or maybe that only happens to me? :001_huh: It was in my siggie FOREVER. We finally finished Little House in the Big Woods last night! :hurray: I think we started in in April. :blush: The kids and I enjoyed it, it was just a super crazy time. And while we enjoyed it, I am glad it is over! :lol:

I was going to start the Tale of Despereaux next, but truthfully, it was too big. :lol: I voted for a small one I knew we could finish quickly! :tongue_smilie:

Anyone else ever get stuck. . . or maybe I am just the worlds worst read aloud mom! :auto:

I had something that felt like that. It was because we read the burgess animal book, then the bird book and the seashore book at the same time. We are now exactly half way done the seashore book and finished thebird book last week. We finished the animal book last month.

I'm done with Burgess books for now! And want something new. :001_smile:

We never did finish Little House in the Big Woods, though the boys weren't interested in it, and they were younger.

Secret of the Andes is that one now, but we'll start it up again soon. At least I ended up getting it in a pile of books recently, so I don't have to check it out at the library again. :)

Glad to know I am not alone! :lol: I really am trying to be better about read alouds. I read about how some are so very diligent about them. I did so much better this last year, and I am making a curriculum switch to schedule them in for me next year, so I am improving! :tongue_smilie: Progress is good! :lol:

Glad to know I am not alone! :lol: I really am trying to be better about read alouds. I read about how some are so very diligent about them. I did so much better this last year, and I am making a curriculum switch to schedule them in for me next year, so I am improving! :tongue_smilie: Progress is good! :lol:

Right there with ya! I think it had something to do with having kids under 3. ;) This year is definitely better in the read aloud department. Last year, not as much. I'll be doing two sonlight cores this year BECAUSE it forces me to read aloud. :)

We never did finish Little House in the Big Woods, though the boys weren't interested in it, and they were younger.

Secret of the Andes is that one now, but we'll start it up again soon. At least I ended up getting it in a pile of books recently, so I don't have to check it out at the library again. :)

We read Secret of the Andes this year but it was one of those that I just couldn't get into so it probably took longer than is should have.

Pinnochio was like that for us, lol! Even though we loved it, and did finally finish it, somehow we kept pushing it back to the low priority pile. So glad we finished it though, because it was really great!

That happened to Pinocchio here too!! We loved it so I could never figure out why we kept having trouble getting to it. Such a great book.

Heather

Right there with ya! I think it had something to do with having kids under 3. ;) This year is definitely better in the read aloud department. Last year, not as much. I'll be doing two sonlight cores this year BECAUSE it forces me to read aloud. :)

So true! The 2 yo will actually sit for read alouds now and it makes life so much easier.

Ok, 2 things I am learning from this thread:

1. I am not the only mom who struggles with read louds, seriously good to know! :tongue_smilie:

2. Do not read Pinnochio (this year at least!) :lol:

:lol: It's currently The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet for us.

We've been reading it forever, but it is really my fault because the boys love it, but I just don't. I read it as a kid and didn't care for it, but I thought maybe I would enjoy it more as an adult. I can appreciate as a good book, but it is so not my cup of tea. I'm just not a science person!

I completely used a cold in April as an excuse to drop reading it aloud. I need to bust through the last few chapters since the boys want to know what happens and then maybe I'll be more enthused about our next selection. I've never seen my boys laugh so hard at a read aloud though, so at least I have some pleasant memories despite the subject matter. :D

The Railway Children for us. I am going to try and read it myself and then try it again in a year or so. I felt like we picked it up everyday and never made any progress.

Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper...That book is a monster.

If you've never read Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses, you may well get a laugh out of it:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/hns/indians/offense.html

My secret to read alouds is doing it right before turning out the light. It helps both of us go to sleep, and it encourages him to get his little bod into bed. Plus, once you read aloud all 13 volumes of A Series of Unfortunate Events, everything else seems so ...short. We just finished Freddy Goes to Florida, and it was rather like Three Men In A Boat meets Beatrix Potter. Great fun!!

The Magic of Reality is the read-aloud bug-bear here I love it (I'm a scientist). My son thinks its boring (he's a language arts type). How, I ask you, can the science of the world, written by a clever and passionate author, be boring? He'd rather read the Aenid! Its got the point where I'm embarrassed to fill in the "read-aloud" box on my own lesson plans. I am pleased to hear that I'm not alone, though.

D

We read Secret of the Andes this year but it was one of those that I just couldn't get into so it probably took longer than is should have.

Oh rats! I just bought Secret of the Andes. I'll have to let them read it to themselves. :001_smile:

Gladys Alyward...we started it in March or April. Then we had the never ending move, we were without our stuff for 6 weeks. I think I did keep the book out, but we just couldn't get to it in the chaos. And now...I just don't have the drive to pick it back up. It was a great book though!

I will warn that with a curriculum that schedules it for me, it's still the first thing to get dropped if we are too busy. So, even though I stay current with everything else in our curriculum, I'm notorious about getting behind on the read alouds.

Watership Down was our difficult read aloud. We all really enjoyed it but for some reason it was just had for me to get into the rhythm of reading that one aloud.

I even tried to get them to switch over to the audio book--no go. They liked the way I read it. Even as I stumbled over all those crazy rabbit words???? No one told me before I started reading it that they had a different language!

But what a wonderful book and I am so happy that we got to experience it together. So many things to talk about. We will definitely be revisiting this book later.

Oh you are SO not alone. I am HORRIBLE at read alouds with DS13. I've been reading "Boy in the Striped Pajamas" to him for MONTHS. It's not that long or difficult, I just hate to read aloud. Funny because I used to do it faithfully and unfailingly every. single. day. when he was younger. :tongue_smilie:

The boy LOVES audiobooks though and goes through them like water so I don't feel as bad.

Little Pilgrim's Progress has about 100 chapters, short but still deep and I didn't want to go too fast....it took us about 4 months to finish....

/sigh

Now reading Roman Ransom Mystery...after dropping The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil Frankweiler - the kids just found that one too boring.

I've gotten to where if I miss more than a week or two, I download it off Librivox and we just listen to the rest in the car. My kids hear more Librivox readers than they do me. Is that awful?

Some of them are just HARD to read out loud. Winnie the Pooh comes to mind. I don't know why I thought it was so hard to read, it just was!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I think that spanned the end of a school year / summer / the start of another. I would have left it until they were a bit older as I think I selected it a bit early, but they were interested in finishing it.

We've done Pinocchio twice—once with me reading aloud and once on audio book as we travelled to piano lessons and on errands. Definitely preferred the audio version!

Erica in OR

I didn't know about the Oompa Loompas.

While I find most "classics" with racist elements to be salvageable (or at least instructive as an example... heck, I just picked up The Coral Island for a pairing with The Lord of the Flies when the time comes), I refuse to read A Horse and His Boy aloud, or pass it on to the kids without discussing it first. It's vile.

Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

I loved the book, the kids loved the book. It just would. not. END! I'm sure I've read them longer books since then, everything else has been a breeze, but that one just felt like pages kept being added in the middle of the night. We still haven't finished it, it's on the Kindles so if they want to finish it I'll let them take it over.

I'm trying to decide whether to read Little House aloud or not, TBH I don't think it'll hold their attention and it doesn't much interest *me*....so I probably won't even start them :leaving:

I don't have such a hard time finishing books, but my dd7 will not let me out of the Little House series. We have read the whole Laura series, the Martha book, the Charlotte book, and there is no end in sight with the Caroline series and the Rose series ahead of us.