Menu

How old do you have to be to participate in a Master Gardener program?

My son is 13 and it's getting VERY hard to find him extra-curriculars. I know my mom would has looked into taking a Master Gardener class for fun, I thought it might get him out and into something (and it would be a great way to ensure he does it, "Well, you need to go help Nana.") I just don't know if he's old enough. I had even thought of signing up myself, but then I'd run into child care issues for the other two, so probably not.

My husband completed the Master Gardener program when he was in college. He says he thinks they have a youth group and that he couldn't see why a responsible teen couldn't join. I would just contact the program in your area and ask them. They do a lot of things in education and classrooms etc so I bet there's something.

Wow, there seems to be a lot of variance. I'll just call our extension office and ask. I don't think he'd want to do a youth group type one. He won't put himself out there in those situations. Going with me or my mom is the only way I can see him following through. I'll just ask our agent, if she isn't sure she'll probably find out for me.

This has been my experience here in VA. When I attended the MG training course a couple of years ago, it was enjoyable and fun. Some speakers were more interesting than others, depending on their topics. :) There were 2 young ladies, around the 17-20 age range who also participated. We had 3 hour long meetings twice a week for 3 months, so there is a big time commitment. This may vary from state to state and with the participants involved. We had a huge manual (about 4 inches thick) that we had to read and take regular tests on, so that's another time commitment. Just thought I would say that, although there was no age requirement in our local training program, there was the fatigue factor of long meetings and regular homework and field work. Upon completion of that course, there were volunteer and education hours that needed be logged to maintain MG status, if desired. I am very glad I did it, and proud of my helpful manual and my pretty name tag. :D