Menu

Good Bible passages to memorize?

Thought I would add this link too if you haven't seen it yet:http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/verseslist/

We are trying to work our way through some of the shorter verses and also doing the longer selections under the "classic passages".

Some of our favorites have been:

Psalm 100

Psalm 103: 1-13

Philippians 4:4-8

We have really enjoyed the daily devotions (we just read the Bible passages) that go along with the memory verses in Sword Fighting. We're finishing up our third year and will have memorized each temptation and verse. For example:

You are tempted to not to listen.

"Be quick to listen and slow to speak." James 1:19

Our plan is continue reciting these throughout high school so they become life-long verses.

You've gotten a lot of great Bible passage suggestions. Might I also suggest the Nicene Creed? It's been a standard in Christian theology and prayer for almost two thousand years.

I believe in one God the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth,

And of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the son of God, the only begotten.

Begotten of the Father before all worlds,

Light of light, very God of very God.

Begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father,

by Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven

And was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and Virgin Mary

And became man;

And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate

And suffered and was buried.

On the third day, he rose again, according to the Scriptures

And ascended into the heavens,

And sits at the right hand of the Father;

And He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead,

Whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit,

The Lord and Giver of Life,

Who proceeds from the Father.

Who, with the Father and the Son, together is worshipped and glorified;

Who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy, catholic and apostolic church.

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.

Amen.

I had our boys memorize the major pieces of the meta story in Scripture, so portions of Gen 2 for creation, the fall in Gen 3, portions of Matthew 1, most of Luke 2, footwashing part of John 13, Luke 23-24, portion of Acts2, and first part of Rev 21. We did other Scripture as well, like several Psalms. For a number of years, I'd review at a certain time of year, so creation at the beginning of the school year, followed by the fall, Jesus birth at Christmas, then the Passion week passages so that we were doing the resurrection on Easter, etc.

Memorizing narrative portions of Scripture was very natural for them. We did not do it "schoolishly" memorizing line by line.I would just read the story over and over, using dramatic expression and gradually letting them fill it in as they knew it--just like what happens with bedtime stories when they are little. I think because of the dramatic expression, they are all good actors now and enjoy it.

Erica in OR's dh put this together. Really excellent material! It just has the beginning of verses (or references- I forget) and I have made some grades up with the entire verse. Pm me if interested and I will see if I can find them.

Download a book adapted from an old CPH book of memory work…

http://grace-els.org/memorywork.pdf

Memory work broken down by grade. Memory work schedule for schools or families with children, grades 1--8. Please contact me with corrections at pastor@grace-els.org. You can print the book by printing the even-numbered pages in reverse order, then re-inserting the stack and printing the odd-numbered pages in regular order. The first step can often be accomplished by printing the even-numbered pages in normal order and using an alternate paper ejection path in your printer.

Edited by mom2abcd