Menu

Help me figure this out. Is this a good NICU?

The NICU that my friends babies will be admitted to, if she agrees to be delivered tomorrow, is a level III in Alabama. According to the website, Level III is the highest level of certification. The website doesn't say if it was a level II and was upgraded, if it has been there a long time and their docs have lots of experience etc. It appears to be fairly new and I couldn't find it in the US News and World Report NICU/Children's Hospital ratings. This does not infuse me with confidence.

It's Huntsville Regional NICU and apparently the only Level III in that part of the state.

Has anyone heard of it - know anything about it?

I'd feel soooooooooooooooooo much better if they lived her and had the babes taken to C.S. Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor.

Faith

They're in Huntsville!?! That's where I am. Faith, both of my boys spent about a week and a half there. They are absolutely amazing.

My goodness, it's a small world.

That's good to know. I'm glad I've heard one good story. I need them. Hopefully, more will follow or someone will know something about this rating system.

I think I'm just jittery today more than anything.

Dh will be in Huntsville July 18th -21st doing the SLI mentor training with NASA.

Faith

It sounds like the baby is in good hands.

To get that type of rating involves a lot. I hesitate to agree with FaithManor on airlifting a child to another state's NICU if it may trigger doctors and social workers to protest and possibly alarm CPS. But that is my bug-a-boo over govt telling us what to do.

That's good to know. I'm glad I've heard one good story. I need them. Hopefully, more will follow or someone will know something about this rating system.

I think I'm just jittery today more than anything.

Dh will be in Huntsville July 18th -21st doing the SLI mentor training with NASA.

Faith

There isn't complete uniformity in NICU designations. In general III is the highest, although some places call themselves a level IV.

IIIa can do early babies and minor surgery. You'd need to check with the NICU on the earliest they normally do.

IIIb can do more complex surgeries. They can handle more complex issues.

IIIc includes advanced cardiac surgery and care, as well as ECMO.

It sounds like the baby is in good hands.

To get that type of rating involves a lot. I hesitate to agree with FaithManor on airlifting a child to another state's NICU if it may trigger doctors and social workers to protest and possibly alarm CPS. But that is my bug-a-boo over govt telling us what to do.

Oh, I don't want them airlifted. I just meant that if they lived here in Michigan, Mott's is one amazing NICU and it's listed in the top 25 in the nation. Their survival rates are startlingly good on micropreemies. So, that was my sigh....I would feel better if the family lived here. But, then if they did, I'd park my butt at Mott's for the duration if that is what it took. I'm jittery because they are 12.5 hours from here and I'm useless which is bothering me.

Faith

That puts them not far from the NICU at Eggleston in Atlanta, one of the top two in the nation. This hospital has transport (excellent transport) and takes babies for which nothing else has worked. If the babies need it, Huntsville will transfer them to Eggleston. Eggleston is part of Emory University.

Oh, I don't want them airlifted. I just meant that if they lived here in Michigan, Mott's is one amazing NICU and it's listed in the top 25 in the nation. Their survival rates are startlingly good on micropreemies. So, that was my sigh....I would feel better if the family lived here. But, then if they did, I'd park my butt at Mott's for the duration if that is what it took. I'm jittery because they are 12.5 hours from here and I'm useless which is bothering me.

Faith

Will this help?

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/pediatric-rankings/neonatal-care

I saw our hospital (TX Children's Hospital in Houston, TX) is #2 in the nation. We love that place! We have to travel to it next week. It has a brand new NICU wing that was just built.

ETA: I noted that the top 10 NICU in this linked report are ironically the same top institutions who are part of the Rare Diseases Consortium. Son and I participate in a RDC hospital (TX Children's Hospital) for our rare disease. Where many infants are airlifted or born with life threatening issues. TX Children's NICU feeds from all of the area hospitals for severe cases, for example.

Edited by tex-mex