Menu

Knitters turn! I have a question.

Crochet....no problem! Knitting....I fall apart. :glare:

I cannot knit without dropping stitches. I am in the south so the few times I have tried was with huge needles and a bamboo yarn. I just wanted to make a large, airy, simple square. Because of the large needles, when I went to try and pick up the dropped stitch, it got all wonky and puckered.

Any advice? How can I keep from dropping stitches?

Thanks!

Grab a crochet hook and grab the loop. If the stitch has gone down several rows, then use the crochet hook to reknit it up to the top row.

Dropped stitches - avoid them by 1) paying attention while knitting 2) don't overcrowd your needles 3) when putting down the knitting make sure everything is in a good position and the knitting isn't getting jossled.

Grab a crochet hook and grab the loop. If the stitch has gone down several rows, then use the crochet hook to reknit it up to the top row.

Dropped stitches - avoid them by 1) paying attention while knitting 2) don't overcrowd your needles 3) when putting down the knitting make sure everything is in a good position and the knitting isn't getting jossled.

:iagree: I think with practice, you'll be able to tell better when you do drop a stitch and you'll be more aware when you do (so you'll do it less). Just muscle through an easy project or 2 you aren't super attached to (like a scarf). I bet by the end, you'll be much better and once you pick up dropped stitches a few times, it gets easier too.

Are you using metal needles? Bamboo yarn is slick and when combined with metal needles, the stitches can easily slip off. For me such a combination would make my hands cramp badly. Do you knit Continental or English style? I find I can control my stitches better knitting

(tutorial linked). I keep the middle finger of my left hand on the top stitch of the left needle and my index finger of my right hand switches between resting on the top stitch on the right needle and pushing the left needle to get the stitch off it. Since I never "drop" my right needle there is less chance of dropping a stitch.

Are you using metal needles? Bamboo yarn is slick and when combined with metal needles, the stitches can easily slip off. For me such a combination would make my hands cramp badly. Do you knit Continental or English style? I find I can control my stitches better knitting
(tutorial linked). I keep the middle finger of my left hand on the top stitch of the left needle and my index finger of my right hand switches between resting on the top stitch on the right needle and pushing the left needle to get the stitch off it. Since I never "drop" my right needle there is less chance of dropping a stitch.

Interesting! I was doing English I guess, but that looks fun! I was using large plastic needles.

Edited by Juniper

Interesting! I was doing English I guess, but that looks fun! I was using large plastic needles.

I have heard that many crocheters prefer Continental style because it's more comfortable holding the yarn in the left hand. It took me awhile to get the hang of Continental (I don't do it exactly as she does in the tutorial--I hold my fingers closer together as it's more comfortable for me). But now I love it!

Good luck with your knitting!

I have heard that many crocheters prefer Continental style because it's more comfortable holding the yarn in the left hand. It took me awhile to get the hang of Continental (I don't do it exactly as she does in the tutorial--I hold my fingers closer together as it's more comfortable for me). But now I love it!

Good luck with your knitting!

I was just going to mention how similar it looked to crocheting! This is the first time I have even been a little enthused about knitting. The problem is that I really have some design ideas that need to be worked in both. There is a certain drape to knitting that cannot be done with crocheting.

Thank you for sharing that link!

I second the suggestions of practice, using less slick needles when using slick yarn, and learning to knit continental. I was a crocheter first, too, and my knitting skills really took off when I learned to knit continental. It's more comfortable, IMO, to knit with yarn in my left hand like I do when I crochet.

:iagree: I think with practice, you'll be able to tell better when you do drop a stitch and you'll be more aware when you do (so you'll do it less). Just muscle through an easy project or 2 you aren't super attached to (like a scarf). I bet by the end, you'll be much better and once you pick up dropped stitches a few times, it gets easier too.

Yes, I agree. I had a terrible problem dropping and adding stitches when I first started.

You might also do better with non-plastic needles. When I first started, I had some problems that were actually solved by using sharper needles.

Knittinghelp.com and ravelry.com are my favorite go to places for videos. Usually if it isn't there, someone will direct me to one on youtube that will show me exactly what I want to know.

You may want to experiment with different needles and yarns. I have sets of knitting needles in acrylic, metal, and wood. Depending on the yarn, I will switch needles. If you are wanting to do a simple square, look up dishcloth patterns. The cotton yarn is not so slippery (although it can be stiffer to knit with) and you can practice a large variety of stitches on something practical. Granny's Favorite is a simple, well loved pattern that many start when learning to stitch.

The problem is that I really have some design ideas that need to be worked in both. There is a certain drape to knitting that cannot be done with crocheting.

Thank you for sharing that link!

Ooh, designing--that sounds exciting! Yes about the drape to knitting. The other time I've heard knitting is better than crochet is for socks--that a knit sock has more stretch and therefore fits better than a crochet sock. But each craft has its points and I'm glad I can do the basics of each.

Are you familiar with the Crochet Dude, Drew Emborsky? I haven't looked at any of his patterns, but I've heard him in an interview where he talks about that problem of drape with crochet garments. He has a few designs for women's garments that over come the issues with drape and holey-ness that are typical with crochet.