Menu

Science Help!

My son is a rising 7th grader and college bound.

We currently use HOD as part of our curriculum plans.

For 7th grade, I need to decide between General Science or the HOD choice for Science- which is Exploration Education Physical Science.

Which is the best choice for a college bound student?

The following year (8th) HOD does an introductory Chemistry study. My son has never studied Chemistry.

If we continued with the Apologia path- he would either do Physical Science or DIVE Earth and Science.

Please give me advice!

No one I can ask IRL.

Thank you!

Rebecca

If your son is college bound, I would not have him do physical science or earth science during high school. Both are considered to be middle school courses (even if it's not true). I would make sure he has a good base in physical science (physics and chemistry) prior to beginning biology in 9th. If he does chemistry and physics in 10th and 11th, that gives him a year to do an advanced science in 12th.

I am sorry-

I meant for 7th and 8th grade.

He will take Biology in 9th grade.

I am trying to choose the best junior high science program out of those options.

Does it matter which one he does?

I plan for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for his first three years of high school science.

Based on what you wrote- I wonder if I should go the HOD path as they schedule physical science and then introductory chemistry for 7th and 8th, rather than using the Apologia material for middle school or the DIVE program for 8th.

Any thoughts??

Thanks very much for replying.

Rebecca

I am sorry-

I meant for 7th and 8th grade.

He will take Biology in 9th grade.

I am trying to choose the best junior high science program out of those options.

Does it matter which one he does?

I plan for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for his first three years of high school science.

Based on what you wrote- I wonder if I should go the HOD path as they schedule physical science and then introductory chemistry for 7th and 8th, rather than using the Apologia material for middle school or the DIVE program for 8th.

Any thoughts??

Thanks very much for replying.

Rebecca

For his college bound aspirations, I don't think it matters what science he does in middle school. The college is only going to look at his high school science. The opportunity you have right now, before the high school "time clock" starts ticking is to do courses that he is interested in, that maybe wouldn't fit totally in with his high school science and to do some preparatory courses (such as short courses on the periodic table, large overviews of science in general - I really like the book "Science Matters" for that, etc). If you think that there's a likelihood that he would have a science career of a particular type, this is a good time to do an exploratory course on that, so that you can see if you'll want to schedule a 4th high school science around that (ex, if he's likely to be a medical researcher maybe a course in microbiology, or anatomy, etc).