Menu

What to buy for Singapore?

I have an opportunity to switch math programs for my dd5. Years ago, I started my sons in another program and I've stayed with it, so that we wouldn't miss anything. I have already bought this same program for my daughter, but it occurs to me that I really don't like the program we're using anymore.

I've been looking at Math-U-See and Singapore. If I were to buy Singapore, what would I buy? The website is confusing. :confused: I would love to see a bundle pack, but I don't think there is one. I've read all the threads about Singapore, and have gotten lost in the initials.

Can anyone please tell me what the *best* beginning purchase for Singapore is?

Also, would you start with K (she's already completed a K in our other program).

Thanks,

Lisa

The one good thing about having to buy everything seperately, is the fact that you can buy a semester's worth, and see if it works for you. I would start w/ the textbook, workbook, challenging word problems, and extra practice book. The home instructor's guide might be helpful as well. As far as where to place her, singapore is usually about a year ahead, but, I would really suggest going to their website and printing out the placement test.

hth

I have an opportunity to switch math programs for my dd5. Years ago, I started my sons in another program and I've stayed with it, so that we wouldn't miss anything. I have already bought this same program for my daughter, but it occurs to me that I really don't like the program we're using anymore.

I've been looking at Math-U-See and Singapore. If I were to buy Singapore, what would I buy? The website is confusing. :confused: I would love to see a bundle pack, but I don't think there is one. I've read all the threads about Singapore, and have gotten lost in the initials.

Can anyone please tell me what the *best* beginning purchase for Singapore is?

Also, would you start with K (she's already completed a K in our other program).

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

It wouldn't hurt to start with the K. Doing 1A and 1B for 1st grade would be considered an advanced student. Doing 1A only for 1st then 1B and 2A for 2nd would be an average student. :D I didn't find the concepts difficult in level 1, but they took away the picture manipulatives half way into book A and that is where my kids faltered. They weren't used to real manipulatives (and were resistant to them), but they didn't have pictures anymore either. :001_huh: With a little side work and maturity they have all gotten over the hump. My feeling is if you take a little longer getting there the less likely it will be a problem at all. Yet is she is fine with doing math without pictures, or with hand held manipulatives, then she would probably be fine with level 1.

I recommend the Home Instructor's Guide, the Text book and the Workbook as a minimum. I also use the Word Problem books (one per number level), and the Intensive Practice books (one per A, B level). The Word problem books work on the same concepts and at the same difficulty level as the main book, just in story problem form. The Intensive Practice works on the same concepts as well, but takes them up a notch to the next difficulty level. Those are optional, so it depends on your children. I use the extra books as review.

Heather

:iagree:, textbook and workbook at a minimum. If you need help teaching the Singapore way (it's very different from the way I learned math in school), I would get the Instructor's guide. Also the Challenging Word Problems are great!

For the first year, I recommend the texts, workbooks, and Home Instructor's Guides. If you think your child might need it, you could get the Extra Practice books as well (these have problems at about the same difficulty level as the workbook).

Just the textbooks and workbooks (US Edition). That's all you need. Simple, effective, yay!

I'd start with Gr1 for the 5yo, so long as she is counting 1-50 comfortably, can count backwards from 10-0 and comprehends the concepts of adding and subtracting.

If she's not quite there yet for Gr1, then get EarlyBird B (the second year of EarlyBird -- Textbook B & Activity Book B) and then go from that to US Edition Gr 1 in 6-12 months. I can't imagine needing A unless you're really just trying to entertain a pre-schooler and/or have a special needs child who really needs a slloooowww approach.

So, assuming starting with Gr1, get The US Edition Textbooks 1A & 1B (two semesters) and Workbooks 1A & 1B (two semesters).

I think that you don't need anything else if you're starting at the beginning (which you are). You'll learn the "Singapore way" just by reading the textbook examples along with your child -- then encouraging her to use the approaches from the textbook in solving the corresponding workbook problems. I haven't seen or used the various guides available, but I really don't think you'd need them since you're starting at Gr1. (I could see it more if you were trying to switch to SM at Gr3 or higher, as you wouldn't have laid the foundation of techniques that are built grade by grade.)

The only other thing I'd advise buying (or making) is a set of +/- triangular flashcards to use as daily drill practice to get those facts down during Gr1 year. Do 3-5 min of drill with them each day until they are stone cold. I start with 5 to 10 of the easiest cards and add a few new cards each week until the child has them all and then we do them all until they are stone cold (by end of year or else Gr2 gets agonizing!!)

I'd hold off on Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practices until Gr2 or Gr3 and then add them if you think they'd be helpful. But, give yourself a year with just the TB/WB combo to start. (I use IP only for about Gr4-6, FWIW.) Start simple, no harm will come of it!

Rainbow Resource has good pricing on Singapore Math, esp if you have a big enough order for free shipping. Otherwise, I buy from singaporemath.com

Good luck!