Menu

Can you check over my 9th grade health plans

I am making my own curriculum because I haven't really found anything that I like. Here is the current plan

-David Macauleys The Way We Work

-First Aid (get her CPR certified as well)

-We go to the gym so I will use that to teach her about exercise and such (any ideas here? Just explain what the different machines work out?? Talk about the affects of cardio on the heart?)

-We will talk about nutrition (watch Fathead on Netflix plus..... not sure but I will find something)

-Get into some diseases/viruses/bacteria (not sure what because she went through a huge disease rabbit trail in 7th grade-- any thoughts on this?)

-I think we will get into medicinal properties of plants because she is REALLY into that

-Gods Design for Sex book 4 (she did book 3 in 5th grade biology)

-I Kissed Dating Goodbye (book and DVD with study guide)

-Boy Meets Girl

Am I missing anything? Any ideas on how to fill in the areas I am kinda sketchy about?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I am doing my own health this year too! I took the health topics covered by our local public school and am doing my own version. The school gives a full credit, so I plan to do lots of work on health over the summer so that we can pick at it during the year. It seems like a lot on paper, but I plan to weave it into our family time so that it is not a separate subject we are doing, if that makes any sense.:)

Here are the topics the school covers:

Human Body (organization, systems), First Aid, Nutrition, Exercise, Disease (infectious, non-infectious), Mental Health (including stress and anxiety), Social Health (Body Care, Responsibility and Life Management, reaching Your Potential, Maturity and Making Choices, Relationships and Dating, Death).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought "The Genesis of Germs" by Alan Gillen, and we'll read "The Hot Zone" for fun. I also want to do a red cross class on CPR and emergency first aid. We'll also throw in a fitness test and chart our progress through the year.

We'll be reading through the ebook "Real Food Nutrition and Healh" by the foodrenegade blogger (We follow a traditional diet), and we'll discuss different current diets (Paleo and low carb, vegan, etc). I plan to include some Michael Pollen stuff here, such as "Omnivore's Dilemma". "Supersize Me" is a great one to add here!

I'll use church resources for a discussion on death and dying, we'll discuss our responsibility to the aged, and visit a dementia facility (I plan to schedule a once-a-month visit for a year).

I'll be focusing on Life Management through the year, so that will be included. Books like "The 7 Habits of Effectual Teens" and "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week" were already on the drawing board, as well as increased use of their planners. I think I might add in "Do Hard Things" for the 'reaching your potential' category, as well as seek out films of cool kids like Bethany Hamilton who overcame obstacles to fulfill promise.

We have discussed sexuality in daily life, so I won't plan any thing specifically for that. We might instead go through a class on effective listening or something, but honestly, my kids might be too hormonally spacey to get that right now! :D

I think we might volunteer at the local youth shelter events, if I can figure out the best way to do that in a sensitive way. We live rurally, so my kids don't have any friends who are homeless, on drugs, or pregnant... I want to give them an opportunity to grow in compassion, develop thankfulness for their privileged lifestyle (though we are barely above the poverty level, we are rich in other ways) and also let them see that the smallest of actions can have unintended consequences.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Let me know how your course is coming along- I will need a kick in the pants to get it done, I am sure!

I am doing my own health this year too! I took the health topics covered by our local public school and am doing my own version. The school gives a full credit, so I plan to do lots of work on health over the summer so that we can pick at it during the year. It seems like a lot on paper, but I plan to weave it into our family time so that it is not a separate subject we are doing, if that makes any sense.:)

Here are the topics the school covers:

Human Body (organization, systems), First Aid, Nutrition, Exercise, Disease (infectious, non-infectious), Mental Health (including stress and anxiety), Social Health (Body Care, Responsibility and Life Management, reaching Your Potential, Maturity and Making Choices, Relationships and Dating, Death).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought "The Genesis of Germs" by Alan Gillen, and we'll read "The Hot Zone" for fun. I also want to do a red cross class on CPR and emergency first aid. We'll also throw in a fitness test and chart our progress through the year.

We'll be reading through the ebook "Real Food Nutrition and Healh" by the foodrenegade blogger (We follow a traditional diet), and we'll discuss different current diets (Paleo and low carb, vegan, etc). I plan to include some Michael Pollen stuff here, such as "Omnivore's Dilemma". "Supersize Me" is a great one to add here!

I'll use church resources for a discussion on death and dying, we'll discuss our responsibility to the aged, and visit a dementia facility (I plan to schedule a once-a-month visit for a year).

I'll be focusing on Life Management through the year, so that will be included. Books like "The 7 Habits of Effectual Teens" and "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week" were already on the drawing board, as well as increased use of their planners. I think I might add in "Do Hard Things" for the 'reaching your potential' category, as well as seek out films of cool kids like Bethany Hamilton who overcame obstacles to fulfill promise.

We have discussed sexuality in daily life, so I won't plan any thing specifically for that. We might instead go through a class on effective listening or something, but honestly, my kids might be too hormonally spacey to get that right now! :D

I think we might volunteer at the local youth shelter events, if I can figure out the best way to do that in a sensitive way. We live rurally, so my kids don't have any friends who are homeless, on drugs, or pregnant... I want to give them an opportunity to grow in compassion, develop thankfulness for their privileged lifestyle (though we are barely above the poverty level, we are rich in other ways) and also let them see that the smallest of actions can have unintended consequences.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Let me know how your course is coming along- I will need a kick in the pants to get it done, I am sure!

Thank you!! That gives me a bunch of ideas!!! I am no where near a half credit right now (I think, I have to go check) but I believe we are required 1 credit. We do alot of talking about sex/marriage etc but we went through the other 2 books but not this one yet so I figured it would be a good time. The dating thing we are just starting to get into more other than dating is preparation for marriage. Time to ramp that up.

Thank you again!! A bunch of good ideas :)

FWIW - I briefly flipped through a health book at a local book store and they had a few chapters on illegal drugs - when I saw it, I thought about the gross videos they used to show in health class about drug addicts. It really opened my eyes about it, and I wanted nothing to do with that sort of lifestyle.

FWIW - I briefly flipped through a health book at a local book store and they had a few chapters on illegal drugs - when I saw it, I thought about the gross videos they used to show in health class about drug addicts. It really opened my eyes about it, and I wanted nothing to do with that sort of lifestyle.

Oooh, I forgot about that topic! A year or so ago someone posted a like to a site that showed pictures of kids on meth (maybe their first arrest?) and how they looked X numbers of months later. It was so sad! Some of those kids looked so normal and sweet in their first pics. That might be something for the kids to see. The images did not fade easily from my mind.

We live in a very pro-marijuana area, so the discussion on substance use vs. abuse comes up so often here I don't think about it. Thanks for the reminder!