Menu

Has anyone worked on a cruise ship?..

My oldest dd is graduating from college with a photography degree in a few weeks!

She is 'unattached' (no boyfriend) and is exploring her options. The current plan is for her to share an apartment with her sister who is going to college while she looks for a job and/or finds a part time job and attempts to start her own photography business.

One possible job came up as a cruise ship photographer-- 4-6 months on the ship then 1-2 months off between assignments... 60-70 hrs per week 7 days per week while on the ship! It sounds grueling... one of the openings is for Hawaiian island cruises (4 month contract).

Anyone with cruise staff experience what to chime in?

Thanks!

No experience myself but a friend recently considered this in a different industry however - health & massage. She was told she would be on call all the time and the accommodations are - as she put it "at the bottom of the hull."

Now, she is in her mid forties and what she considers comfortable may vary significantly from what your daughter requires for creature comforts.

I would do a LOT of research before I commit, otherwise it could be a very LONG cruise.

for 60-70 hours a week the pay better be real good!!

I guess it could be an adventure if she gets days off and can enjoy the ship and the destinations they stop at.

Good luck to her.

I am a professional photographer.. tell her I said good luck!!

I think it would be a great opportunity and adventure! And four months isn't too long -- if she really didn't like it at least she wouldn't be committed to it long-term. (But I've never known anyone personally who has worked on a cruise ship.)

I had two friends who did this and totally loved it. One was a musician and the other was - I'm not sure what her position was, maybe some kind of host or something. They both felt it was a great opportunity.

Now is a great time for your dd to do it as she is unattached.

We went on a Carnival cruise a couple of months back and we had a blast. I so enjoyed getting to know some of the crew members. They were just really nice people and seemed to really enjoy their jobs and fellow workers. A great group of people. They did tell me that they were not able to get off the ship at every stop but I imagine that might also depend on what type of work one was doing (whether they're services are still needed on the ship when most of the passengers are off for the most of the day).

I know someone who worked as part of the wait staff on a cruise - she said the hours were brutal, but the pay was great and she got to see tons of places she wouldn't have otherwise. She did it right out of college and stayed with family or friends when she was in port, so she had next to no expenses and was able to save up enough in 3 years to buy a house.